UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Oct 2020, 6:28 pm   #1
Mark Trotman
Tetrode

Default Ferguson 3v*/JVC Vintage VCR Refurbishment.

Hi all I am new here so thanks for any help.
Have always had interest in these VCR’s and now have a few to repair. One in particular can’t have been used for years as the belts were literally stuck to pulleys when changing belts. After this the VCR worked but fast forward and rewind could be better. After forwarding a tape ff it has broken the tape at the end so I thought light sensor was iffy but if I dummy load the deck into ff and then remove my cover over the lamp the mechanism stops straight away as it should?. The idler and spools look very shiny so need to clean the rubbers but how? Can you do a good clean with them in place and how is best to do it?
Btw this one has great picture so really want to do a really good job on it! Am having difficulty sourcing belt kits, so again any help be appreciated.
Thank you again
Old 26th Oct 2020, 10:33 am   #2
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Default Re: Ferguson 3v*/Jvc Vintage VCR Referbishment

When the FF'REW idler went hard on these they tended to judder which might account for your damaged tape, especially as your EOT sensor's working. As you know, they did tend to crash into the buffers - no gentle slowing down for these battleships!
A new tyre would be the best bet, of course, but boiling the old one and tuning it inside out might be your only way forward. Belt kits and idlers can be found, but take some detective work. Donberg's always a good place to start.
Old 26th Oct 2020, 2:25 pm   #3
davyrocket2
Pentode

I seem to recall there was a transistor on my ferguson 3V16 , and its location is on the mechacontrol board which is at the front you have to remove the trim and it has a few screws holding this board is linked to the tape counter which normally causes the tape to stop when 000 is reached, I recall there is a tape counter button that has to be pressed in to make this
Old 26th Oct 2020, 2:26 pm   #4
Mark Trotman
Tetrode

Thank you for your replies
Old 31st Oct 2020, 8:41 am   #5
birksholt
Pentode

Default Re: Ferguson 3v*/Jvc Vintage VCR Refurbishment

I've used a product called platenclene on rubber parts such as idler tyres and even belts to restore grip and its worked well. If the thing is all cracked etc then its probably too far gone for it but if it's just shiny then it's worth a go. I take the tyre off and put some of the stuff on a cotton pad, wrap it round the idler with one hand and pull the idler through with the other. It seems to take a thin layer of the hardened rubber off leaving a fresh surface with grip. It's sold as being for restoring grip on printer rollers.
Old 31st Oct 2020, 9:28 am   #6
Mark Trotman
Tetrode

Default Re: Ferguson 3v*/Jvc Vintage VCR Refurbishment

Thank you
Old 31st Oct 2020, 10:40 am   #7
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Default Re: Ferguson 3v*/JVC Vintage VCR Refurbishment.

I bought my Platenclene many years ago from CPC and can only say first class and lasts forever.
Old 31st Oct 2020, 12:19 pm   #8
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Seconded - but it smells!
Old 31st Oct 2020, 4:09 pm   #9
dj_fivos_sak
Heptode

Is Platenclene the same or similar to Rubber Renue?
Old 2nd Nov 2020, 1:20 am   #10
birksholt
Pentode

I've heard of that Rubber Renue and I also wondered if it's the same. I quite like the smell of Platenclene.
Closed Thread