UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Oct 2020, 8:45 am   #241
PsychMan
Octode

Default Re: Bodges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refugee View Post
This old plug looks like it has been wired up by a vegetable.
Brilliant!

This reminds me, when doing some work in the garden and disposing of a lot of old concrete, the amount of old plugs that I found set into the concrete did amuse me. I mean I know they put all sorts in with old ballast, like bits of glass or crockery, but plugs?!
Old 16th Oct 2020, 10:15 am   #242
Richard_FM
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychMan View Post
Quote:
Brilliant!

This reminds me, when doing some work in the garden and disposing of a lot of old concrete, the amount of old plugs that I found set into the concrete did amuse me. I mean I know they put all sorts in with old ballast, like bits of glass or crockery, but plugs?!
Were they left over after a renovation that involved rewiring?
Old 16th Oct 2020, 10:35 am   #243
Dave Moll
Dekatron

If they still had truncated cables attached to them, encased in concrete seems the safest place for them.
Old 16th Oct 2020, 12:57 pm   #244
Electronpusher0
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychMan View Post
Quote:
Brilliant!

What will future archaeologists make of them, judging by todays archaeologists they will probably decide thats it "ritual" - offerings to Electron, the god of the magic smoke......

Peter
Old 16th Oct 2020, 1:13 pm   #245
The Philpott
Dekatron

I notice the buried Duraplug has the 'lazy man's snip' caused by forgetting to slide the cover onto the cable before wiring the plug..

Dave
Old 16th Oct 2020, 1:38 pm   #246
Refugee
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Philpott View Post
I notice the buried Duraplug has the 'lazy man's snip' caused by forgetting to slide the cover onto the cable before wiring the plug..

Dave
Surely the gardener must have forgotten to put the root through the top before allowing the plant to grow so a snip with the lopping shears was called for.
It had a good earth though.
Old 16th Oct 2020, 5:30 pm   #247
duncanlowe
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie_ce View Post
Quote:
Yet the Shuko is designed for use where Neutral isn't tied to Earth as far as I understand (but quite prepared to be told otherwise as my real experience is in automotive).
Not quite sure what you mean by this. Here in Germany, in older installations (TN-C system) Schuko sockets were fed by two conductors, the earth contact being bridged to the neutral in each socket. Thankfully this is no longer permitted.
My understanding is, that in France the N wasn't tied to E, and that the distribution transformers either had a centre tap which was grounded or the whole system floated, I can't remember which. But it was an explanation given to me when asking about this area, admittedly many years ago.

As I said, quite happy to be corrected though.
Old 16th Oct 2020, 9:21 pm   #248
dglcomp
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncanlowe View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Yet the Shuko is designed for use where Neutral isn't tied to Earth as far as I understand (but quite prepared to be told otherwise as my real experience is in automotive).
Not quite sure what you mean by this. Here in Germany, in older installations (TN-C system) Schuko sockets were fed by two conductors, the earth contact being bridged to the neutral in each socket. Thankfully this is no longer permitted.
My understanding is, that in France the N wasn't tied to E, and that the distribution transformers either had a centre tap which was grounded or the whole system floated, I can't remember which. But it was an explanation given to me when asking about this area, admittedly many years ago.

I read somewhere (when looking for the polarity for wiring a French plug) that French supplies were originally split phase like American wiring and as such polarity wasn't originally specified despite, unlike schuko plugs, French plug/sockets are polarised.
Old 16th Oct 2020, 11:03 pm   #249
PJL
Dekatron

I ordered a computer from a very well known manufacturer and it came with a mains powered speaker system. It used a 6A hard wired power cord with a 13A fuse in the plug. Sent them an email but heard nothing back.
Old 20th Oct 2020, 10:45 am   #250
cmjones01
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by dglcomp View Post
I read somewhere (when looking for the polarity for wiring a French plug) that French supplies were originally split phase like American wiring and as such polarity wasn't originally specified despite, unlike schuko plugs, French plug/sockets are polarised.
The "French" (type E) socket is used in lots of countries, and there's no standard for which pin is live and which is neutral, even though the plug could in theory be polarised. Indeed, in the country I live in, there are lots and lots of double sockets like the attached image, in which the polarity of live and neutral depends on which of the two sockets you put the plug in. The contacts inside the socket just run straight up and down between the pins. In addition, until fairly recently, there were areas in which the 220V supply in the socket was actually two phases of a 127V three-phase supply, so neither pin was neutral.

The UK is, internationally, very unusual in having such a guarantee of neutral and live being so clearly identifiable. The rest of the world isn't like that.

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	main.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	218413  
Old 20th Oct 2020, 11:30 am   #251
Dave Moll
Dekatron

This gives extra emphasis then to the term "live chassis" outside the UK.
Old 20th Oct 2020, 12:06 pm   #252
winston_1
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmjones01 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dglcomp View Post
The "French" (type E) socket is used in lots of countries, and there's no standard for which pin is live and which is neutral, even though the plug could in theory be polarised. Indeed, in the country I live in, there are lots and lots of double sockets like the attached image, in which the polarity of live and neutral depends on which of the two sockets you put the plug in. The contacts inside the socket just run straight up and down between the pins. In addition, until fairly recently, there were areas in which the 220V supply in the socket was actually two phases of a 127V three-phase supply, so neither pin was neutral.

The UK is, internationally, very unusual in having such a guarantee of neutral and live being so clearly identifiable. The rest of the world isn't like that.

Chris
I don’t know about Poland but in France and Belgium with type E connectors the live is supposed to be clockwise from the earth looking at the front of the socket. This was standardised several years ago. Unfortunately in the Czech Republic and Slovakia the standard is the opposite.
Old 20th Oct 2020, 12:12 pm   #253
winston_1
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmjones01 View Post

Chris
I wouldn’t say very unusual. In Australia the live and neutral are clearly identified, also in the US. In the US even recent 2 pin plugs are polarised with the neutral blade wider.
Old 23rd Oct 2020, 11:55 am   #254
ben
Dekatron

Going back to bodges, just found this gem in an old TV mag. The cowboy 'repairman' strikes again!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bodge tvmag sep78.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	218667  
Old 31st Jan 2021, 12:25 am   #255
sexton_mallard
Hexode

Here's my contribution to the bodge thread... I am amassing a collection of speakers with rubbing voicecoils. In the meantime I have temporarily bodged a Altai PC speaker into this Murphy A192 using a plywood baffle. I could not resist adding a chocblock as a finishing touch.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20210130_231147.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	225629   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210130_231603.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	225630  

Less snakes...more ladders!
Old 31st Jan 2021, 12:36 am   #256
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

I wouldn't say that was a bodge. Looks pretty functional, gets the radio working. And the set looks in really nice condition inside and out.

Craig
Old 31st Jan 2021, 1:51 am   #257
broadgage
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncanlowe View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Several systems were used for power supply in France, including;
Three phase, 4 wire, at 127/220 volt. Neutral earthed. A 220 volt circuit derived from such a system will have both sides live at 127 volts to earth.

Three phase, 3 wire, with 220 volts between conductors. Both sides of a 2 wire circuit will be live to earth, the figure depending on the degree of leakage and capacitive coupling.

Single phase, 3 wire, at 110/220 volts. Center tap earthed. Both sides of a 220 volt circuit live at 110 volts to earth.

Single phase, 3 wire at 220/440 volts. Center tap earthed. A 220 volt circuit from such a system will have one side earthed.

3 phase, 4 wire, at 220/380 volts. Neutral earthed. A 2 wire 220 volt circuit derived from such a system will have one side earthed. This last has been the standard for new installations for decades, though now called 230/400 volts. But a few older supplies may STILL exist.
Old 31st Jan 2021, 1:53 am   #258
sexton_mallard
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Sawyers View Post
I wouldn't say that was a bodge. Looks pretty functional, gets the radio working. And the set looks in really nice condition inside and out.

Craig
Thanks Craig. This set is indeed in amazing condition and I will attempt to get an exact replacement or mend the Celestion speaker. It has had the usual wax and Hunts caps replaced plus a few resistors, a UCH42 replaced a weak 10C1 and some fettling of a intermittent valveholder on the 10f9.

Less snakes...more ladders!
Old 31st Jan 2021, 2:18 am   #259
avocollector
Heptode

Not really a bodge but someone who owned the scope before me plugged it into 230 volts mains - which considering it was a US made Eico 460 set up for 115 volts was not the brightest of actions. I've never seen a mains fuse so absolutely melted inside the glass and a 220k 5 w resistor inside (off the 1V2 ht valve) was literally blasted in half - you could see both wires going to the carbon compound bit in the centre.

I figured most would be toast BUT after simple checks (transformer, valve and tube heater continuity etc) the replacing the obvious and the ht caps, it's working very well on 115 again.
Old 31st Jan 2021, 9:33 am   #260
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexton_mallard View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Sawyers View Post

Craig
Thanks Craig. This set is indeed in amazing condition and I will attempt to get an exact replacement or mend the Celestion speaker. It has had the usual wax and Hunts caps replaced plus a few resistors, a UCH42 replaced a weak 10C1 and some fettling of a intermittent valveholder on the 10f9.
Agree not a bodge but a use of what was available to make the radio work and in a completely safe and reversible way.

I think about the “work arounds” that were used in WW2 to keep all the wireless sets working with few correct spares available. As long as is safe, works and can be reversed that’s OK in my book.

The radio looks really good.