UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Oct 2020, 5:09 pm   #1
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Default RDA5807 FM chip hack ?

Is it possible to use the RDA5807 FM module without any type of computer / Digital input? I'm thinking miniature radio pre tuned one, maybe two channel fixed volume external on off switch. Simple as possible to get one working. Hoping to use maybe a diode / minimum of components to get a very basic signal out of the chip.

John.
Old 28th Oct 2020, 10:28 am   #2
Terry_VK5TM
Nonode

Default Re: RDA5807 FM chip hack ?

Short answer no as you have to send commands to the chip to do various things.

Longer answer, if you could work out how to do it with TTL/CMOS logic, then maybe, but it is no longer going to be very compact and would be a nightmare to design (the chip uses I2C protocol to send commands).
Old 28th Oct 2020, 11:41 am   #3
Jon_G4MDC
Nonode

The module I saw for sale on eBay using one of these appeared to have four push buttons for tuning, volume and such. It said settings were stored at power off so it looked like it could almost fit the bill for John.

I think you had to push a button to turn it on.

I doubt it would come on just for applying power so you would not be able to build it in to something else without access to the buttons.
Old 28th Oct 2020, 3:11 pm   #4
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Thank you all for your replies, I though my request would be impossible. After my posting I had a second look on internet and found a self contained PCB with RDA chip which does more or less what I need.

John.
Old 28th Oct 2020, 4:43 pm   #5
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Could you post a link please, John?
Old 28th Oct 2020, 5:06 pm   #6
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Hi Nick, here, Sorry link won't work. Please look on EbayUK for RDA5807 There are two listings if you scroll down.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RDA5807-T...kAAOSw04dfiXZn It worked at last.

John.

Last edited by 60 oldjohn; 28th Oct 2020 at 5:18 pm. Reason: Fixing link.
Old 30th Oct 2020, 2:28 pm   #7
Neil Purling
Nonode

I came round to 60oldjohns place once and he had something made up on a prototype board. This may have been a RDA5807 IC, I don't remember.
It could have been that Haynes Advent Calendar radio There were two buttons to tune it for Up and Down. You can get the complete RDA5807 & Arduino assembly, but it isn't cheap.

Last edited by Neil Purling; 30th Oct 2020 at 2:38 pm.
Old 1st Nov 2020, 11:33 pm   #8
Neil Purling
Nonode

The RDA5807 radio is priced at around 80 UK pounds. I don't know if you could save money by buying the bits separately over time.

I bought the board from the link 60oldjohn gave. It will be interesting to see what level the output is and if it is enough to drive speakers directly at 'room size' volume or not.
Old 3rd Nov 2020, 12:10 pm   #9
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Hi Neil, The chip from the Advent calendar is a BK1068 This radio is around 3 years old now so more about it on the internet.
I received the RDA5807 built up module with 4 switches. I ordered two and received two, joined together. No perforations just a white line on very close inspection of the edge of PCB I could make out a Very slight score mark, very similar to what would be needed to cut glass. Very cautiously I bent the board and it snapped like glass, in the correct place. Hope this reassures any future buyers. I have an amp on order to drive a speaker. I think the board as received is ok for earphones only.

John.