UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Oct 2020, 3:29 am   #1
Kyle__B
Banned

Default High voltage insulation / potting resins.

I've found myself in need of potting a diode put midway along a telly anode cable. Does anyone have any suggestions as far as resins/epoxies etc?
Old 28th Oct 2020, 11:05 am   #2
GMB
Dekatron

Default Re: High voltage insulation / potting resins.

I once potted a tripler using silicone sealant - the non-acidic kind (I think called low modulus ?maybe). It worked very well and has the useful feature that it is not so hard to unpot it if needed.
Old 28th Oct 2020, 11:13 am   #3
wave solder
Hexode

I potted a tripler in my Tek scope using the non acidic silicone sealant about 10 years ago and it's still working fine.
Old 28th Oct 2020, 11:14 am   #4
GrimJosef
Dekatron

I'd support the recommendation of a flexible potting compound. The posh stuff would be something like this https://uk.farnell.com/acc-silicones...ure/dp/8497494.

Cheers,

GJ
Old 28th Oct 2020, 2:10 pm   #5
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

We have some stuff at work that should be good for this sort of thing, will be worth checking the datasheet first though, it’s Dow Corning RTV 3140, a flowable silicone sealant, it’s non acidic and suitable for electronics, but does take a long time to cure if you use a lot of it. It’s quite expensive, but a look on eBay should yield a tube that has passed its sell by date for not very much! We find that it’s still good for quite some time after it’s passed it’s use by date! There is also a non flowable version 3145 if you don’t want it to move from where you put it!

Regards
Lloyd
Closed Thread