UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Oct 2020, 3:37 pm   #1
ChrisThomas
Triode

Default Two diode rectifier circuit in 1970s Bush radio

Hello
I'm new to electronics interested in audio analogue circuits. I'm slowly learning principles from a couple of books, alongside poring over a schematic for a Bush VHF102 that I have. I'm intrigued by the two diode circuit that I'd been understanding so far as functioning as a rectifier.
From all the diode rectifier circuits I've seen in my books and online, the diodes are shown 'pointing' away from the transformer - i.e. they 'point' away from the secondary windings towards the load (excuse the non-technical language!) However, on the schematic, and on the circuit board, the BY126 diodes 'point' towards the transformer. I've attached a picture of the portion of the circuit on the schematic.
So, this doesn't appear to be a rectifier circuit at all. Is the diode pair, with their parallel 1000p capacitors, simply managing the polarity of the AC output from the transformer? I also note that the arrangement is basically the same as a npn transistor. Many thanks for any explanations.
Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rectifier circuit Bush VHF102 Scaled.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	219025  
Old 27th Oct 2020, 4:19 pm   #2
jjl
Octode

Default Re: Two diode rectifier circuit in 1970s Bush radio

This a bi-phase rectifier as commonly seen in valve radios etc. What is different is that with the diodes connected cathode to transformer secondary as shown, the DC output is negative with respect to the transformer secondary centre tap 0V point.
The reason for this is that the circuit shown uses PNP germanium transistors and it is convenient to think of the power supply rail as negative for such circuits.
The 1000pF capacitors are there to attenuate noise from the diodes.

John
Old 27th Oct 2020, 4:40 pm   #3
daviddeakin
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisThomas View Post
From all the diode rectifier circuits I've seen in my books and online, the diodes are shown 'pointing' away from the transformer
However, on the schematic, and on the circuit board, the BY126 diodes 'point' towards the transformer.
Notice that your rectifier produces a negative DC output voltage; transformer centre-tap is grounded as you normally see in textbooks. But you can get the same result whichever way the diodes 'point', depending on where you place the ground reference.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200924_132123823.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	219033  

Last edited by daviddeakin; 27th Oct 2020 at 4:47 pm.
Old 27th Oct 2020, 4:46 pm   #4
paulsherwin

The drawing is a bit confusing, but it's a conventional 3 terminal transformer rectifier circuit. They tended to be replaced with bridge rectifier designs, as an extra pair of diodes cost less than a centre tapped transformer winding.
Old 27th Oct 2020, 6:26 pm   #5
jamesinnewcastl
Heptode

Hi

What you will find is that circuit diagrams are often drawn by people who have no concept of flow or clarity, this will confuse you more than you should be confused. As long as the wires go to the right place then they don't care or possibly they don't know that they are being as plain as mud. Often re-drawing a circuit will reveal its secrets. Believe it or not corners on a circuit are possibly the main enemy of clarity - see how many there are on your circuit!

Cheers
James
Old 27th Oct 2020, 6:40 pm   #6
ChrisThomas
Triode

Many thanks all for the quick responses - they're helpful and appreciated! Well, at least I was right initially: it is a rectifier circuit. It does say in the schematic notes that all voltages shown are negative to the chassis...a clue that did have me wondering.
Cheers
Chris
Closed Thread