UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Oct 2020, 5:00 pm   #1
BrianAllen
Heptode

Default Lamp Limiter versus 0-30V Power Supply

Should I be thinking about purchasing a transformer/power supply or is the lamp limiter that I made perfectly adequate?
Old 27th Oct 2020, 5:50 pm   #2
Cobaltblue

Default Re: Lamp Limiter versus 0-30V Power Supply

Hi Brian

Did you mean 0-30V or 0-300V?

If you are working on Domestic Radios usually a lamp limiter is enough as long as you do some basic checks.

On older (Pre-war sets) I sometimes use a Lamp limiter and Variac.

A 30V DC power supply is always handy and second hand can be a bit of a bargain.

Lamp limiter is cheap and easy but bear in mind it offers protection against catastrophic failure due to shorts rather than excess current due to dodgy caps

Cheers

Mike T
Old 27th Oct 2020, 5:56 pm   #3
BrianAllen
Heptode

Default Re: Lamp Limiter versus 0-30V Power Supply

Hi Mike,

I was just looking back over a previous post "tools/equipment that couldn't live without" and may have misread 30V for 300V.

Given your aforementioned, I think I will stick with the lamp limiter until we can all get out to the auctions etc once again.

Thanks Mike,

Regards,

Brian
Closed Thread