UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Nov 2021, 11:29 pm   #1
nigelr2000
Heptode

Default Found pictures of my old shop

Back in 1996 I lost 2 trade customers, one died and one closed down so needed to do something so I opened a shop it lasted till 2007 when the Argos 59.99 TV's saw me off. Today whilst clearing out a cupboard I found a load of pictures I had forgotten I had. Pics show both the shop area and workshop areas all run on a shoestring but I made a few quid at it. Looks pretty messy but I was busy with repairs as the rack shows with them all stacked up. Lots of Tv's and videos for you to identify as well as a couple of computers. I had a weird shelf ran around the top of the shop near the ceiling so I filled it with interesting stuff people who came on Holiday to Cromer every year used to call in to see what else I had up there like a sort of museum. If this is in the wrong category can mods move it please

All pics are here so you can zoom in without loosing resolution too much as all are scanned from photos.

I think its about 1999 ish maybe looking at the pc which was a P200mMMX as I remember and it's pre broadband as the router used to live next to the Ariston portable and it's not there.

******************************bC5HnkUe89ki1YZ19
Old 28th Nov 2021, 12:13 am   #2
ben
Dekatron

Default Re: Found pictures of my old shop

Great stuff!
Time was when every town and many villages had a shop like yours. Our local one survived by specializing in audio, guitar amps, etc.

I can see plenty of videos I recognize in third pic. Fergy 3v31/JVC HR7700, Panasonic NV-J30 (seems to be sitting on a Samsung?), JVC HR-D640, Sony SLV-585, Ferguson FV31R, the three bottom right I'm not sure about except one's an Akai.
Old 28th Nov 2021, 12:25 am   #3
nigelr2000
Heptode

Hey ben you missed the Sanyo 7 day time lapse on the shelf in the workshop amazing machine 7 days on a 3 hour tape
Old 28th Nov 2021, 9:34 am   #4
raditechman
Heptode

I (with a partner) opened a shop in 1986 it lasted a few years.
Only have 2 photos one of the outside before it was repainted and had a sign. The other of me leaning over the counter.
John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MJ Vision shop fron Barmouth Road, Wandsworth, London, April 1986.jpg
Views:	469
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	246799   Click image for larger version

Name:	John counter.jpg
Views:	514
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	246800  
Old 28th Nov 2021, 11:04 am   #5
nigelr2000
Heptode

Looks tidier than mine John
Old 28th Nov 2021, 11:19 am   #6
stevehertz
Dekatron

Lovely, proper shop!
Old 28th Nov 2021, 11:52 am   #7
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Lovely pictures!

A few of my early shop days. The first picture shows my first shop in Colliers Wood High Street around 1971. It was opposite the Underground, part of a very old area [Singlegate] of Merton. The single storey shop dated from around 1810 and was originally a harness makers. I started off in a large, converted surface air raid shelter in New Malden. These were very happy days. The Pylon in the background formed part of the original National Grid supplying power from Croydon B to the sub station and switching center in Copper Mill Lane Wimbledon. The adjoining pub was originally called the 'VICTORY' but after 150 years the powers that be decided it should be changed and changed again..

Picture 2 shows the top picture taken in 1955, the bottom when it was still a hat shop. It had been a hat shop since 1906 when the parade was originally built.

Picture 3 shows fitting out the shop in 1973.

Picture 4 shows a shot shortly after opening in 1973. I finally closed in 2003.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	246813   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	246814   Click image for larger version

Name:	4 (2).jpg
Views:	366
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	246815   Click image for larger version

Name:	4 (1).jpg
Views:	367
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	246816  
Old 28th Nov 2021, 1:49 pm   #8
electronicskip
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelr2000 View Post
Back in 1996 I lost 2 trade customers, one died and one closed down so needed to do something so I opened a shop it lasted till 2007 when the Argos 59.99 TV's saw me off. Today whilst clearing out a cupboard I found a load of pictures I had forgotten I had. Pics show both the shop area and workshop areas all run on a shoestring but I made a few quid at it. Looks pretty messy but I was busy with repairs as the rack shows with them all stacked up. Lots of Tv's and videos for you to identify as well as a couple of computers. I had a weird shelf ran around the top of the shop near the ceiling so I filled it with interesting stuff people who came on Holiday to Cromer every year used to call in to see what else I had up there like a sort of museum. If this is in the wrong category can mods move it please

All pics are here so you can zoom in without loosing resolution too much as all are scanned from photos.

I think its about 1999 ish maybe looking at the pc which was a P200mMMX as I remember and it's pre broadband as the router used to live next to the Ariston portable and it's not there.

Lovely pictures ! so atmospheric too.
What is the keyboard above the door next to the little Vega tv?, is it just a keyboard or is it a computer of some sort?
Old 28th Nov 2021, 1:58 pm   #9
Aub
Nonode

Brilliant. Society is poorer for the loss of shops like these.

Aub
Old 28th Nov 2021, 3:32 pm   #10
ex 2 Base
Heptode

Did any one visit in John Burkit's shop up the Straight or was it Spring Hill in Lincoln in 1960/70 or 80's or Des Wood Derwent radio in Scarborough. Not domestic radio's or TV but interesting never the less. Ted
Old 28th Nov 2021, 3:50 pm   #11
Radio Wrangler

Yes

John Birkett's shop is on The Strait in lincoln. A steep lane leading up to the castle, jail and cathedral. He used to have another shop on the opposite side as well as his current one, both selling electronics/radio stuff. John's supposed to own several of the shops on that street, let out to other traders.

I visited Derwent Radio up Columbus Ravine in Scarborough several times on holidays, but only found it open once. Decades later I got introduced to Des at the G-QRP Rochdale doo. Had a great natter. He was delighted that one visit to his shop had been so memorable for me.

David
Old 28th Nov 2021, 4:55 pm   #12
nigelr2000
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by electronicskip View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelr2000 View Post

Lovely pictures ! so atmospheric too.
What is the keyboard above the door next to the little Vega tv?, is it just a keyboard or is it a computer of some sort?
That was an unusual one a proper keyboard add on for a ZX Spectrum, you can just see it poking out the top
Old 28th Nov 2021, 5:01 pm   #13
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

Some fantastic photo's there! I remember there was a guy in Daventry in the 90's who had a shop full of second hand TV's, VCR's, stereo's and computers, I was forever pestering him part exchanging various things!!

I actually visited John Birkett's just a few weeks ago! He is still there, with both shops, although the smaller one seemed to be full of vintage signs, or reproduction vintage signs, I didn't look closely at them, the main shop is full of aircraft parts, components, a few vintage radio's, and some test equipment, all very reasonably priced.

Regards,
Lloyd
Old 28th Nov 2021, 7:40 pm   #14
duncanlowe
Nonode

I visited, and we still do, Cromer. I wish I could have irritated my wife by visiting the shop! Though TBF she is not easily irritated.
Old 28th Nov 2021, 10:51 pm   #15
Richard_FM
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
Yes

John Birkett's shop is on The Strait in lincoln. A steep lane leading up to the castle, jail and cathedral. He used to have another shop on the opposite side as well as his current one, both selling electronics/radio stuff. John's supposed to own several of the shops on that street, let out to other traders.
David
I passed it when I was in Lincoln recently.
Old 29th Nov 2021, 11:15 am   #16
ex 2 Base
Heptode

Good to hear John's shop is still up and running. I bought lots of bits from John when he had a stall at various mobile rally's, remember. Ted
Old 30th Nov 2021, 5:28 pm   #17
its ur aerial
Hexode

Some lovely photos of proper TV shops and TV Engineers, now unfortunately all part of history !
I like others mentioned here started my own business in the late 80`s and had a few good years, but all the work disappeared very quickly, with new VCR`s retailing in Tesco and Argos at £35.99 you had no hope of repairing what they were selling and making a living.
I had no illusions the TV trade was there for ever, but I did think I possibly might be still working in the trade at retirement age.
I also cant help thinking what an awful lot of very skilled talent was lost.

Ken, G6HZG.
Old 30th Nov 2021, 8:25 pm   #18
chriswood1900
Octode

Great seeing the old pictures keep it coming, a little bit of history, and reminder of times past.
Old 1st Dec 2021, 9:41 am   #19
Andrew2
Nonode

I love to see pictures of 'proper' shops. Well done Nigel for making the effort when TV shops were closing down all over the place. The shop I'd worked at since 1970 finally called it a day in the late 90's and I still think about it today.
Old 1st Dec 2021, 11:11 am   #20
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

I thought you might like to see these two. Taken on a 1936 British Ensign camera during the Queens Silver Jubilee 1977.

Some of my customers having a mad time. Regards, John.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CW (2).jpg
Views:	244
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	247042   Click image for larger version

Name:	CW (1).jpg
Views:	231
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	247043  
Closed Thread