UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Old 20th Dec 2019, 8:47 pm   #1041
dglcomp
Heptode

Default Re: Quality fuses ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinmaxwell View Post
Are there any "audiophile" MCBs
look on russandrews.com , just make sure you are sitting down. Lets just say that a regular Hager MCB is ~£3.
dglcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Dec 2019, 10:38 pm   #1042
trobbins
Heptode

Although their US region power cables only have a 125VAC rating, they factory test in another dimension:
"Quantum Tunneling: Post Production process, 1 million volts are passed through finished cable providing a “canal” that allows electrons to pass more freely through conductor material and connection." I guess they use a Hubbard E-meter for that.
trobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Dec 2019, 10:59 pm   #1043

Quote:
1 million volts are passed through finished cable
Silly mistake, volts are across... I was going to finish the sentence, couldn't be bothered.
Old 20th Dec 2019, 11:16 pm   #1044
GrimJosef
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobbins View Post
... 1 million volts are passed through finished cable ...
Maybe they're passed through 1 volt at a time ? Then it'd only take a second for a 1Vp-p 1MHz travelling wave to do the job .

Cheers,

GJ
Old 20th Dec 2019, 11:41 pm   #1045
Argus25
No Longer a Member

Default Re: The Audiophoolery Thread.

It is interesting that way back in the 1920's, grid leak resistors looked a lot like fuses and they were set up in radios on spring fuse clips, so that the radio owner could substitute in different brands to get a different sound.

There was very colorful marketing about the sound performance of different grid leaks that came in exotic and colorful boxes with claims of superior performance.

In this case though, most of the time constants in the grid leak detector stage were way too long muffling the audio. On the one hand they wanted to keep the gain high, on the other the trebles got muffled. So there was a large difference in the sound quality and audio volume of a 500k or 1M grid leak to a 4M one. 500k being much better for trebles but with a lower level.

Maybe this is what started out the idea that changing those little glass cylinders with the metal caps on the end affected the sound and it spread to the idea that fuses might do it too.

Of course all the outrageous claims made about electronic equipment, the audio field is by no means unique.

There have been items of bogus medical equipment capable of astounding feats of diagnosis & cures with instrument panels that make a well decorated Christmas tree look boring. Also in the field of various car ignition systems, when scientifically investigated, the claims don't hold up. But it feels good "thinking" your miles per gallon have increased. Probably a similar feeling to flying around in a Lear Jet and feeling you are not polluting the atmosphere if you buy carbon credits.

So perhaps the old saying about the media: "don't let the truth stand in the way of a good story" should be modified for electronic engineering & marketing to read: "don't let the truth stand in the way of a sale"
Argus25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Dec 2019, 1:01 am   #1046
Radio Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by emeritus View Post
I was intrigued by the mention (without details) of a 1,000,000 V quantum treatment.
Translation: Someone got a Van De Graaff for Christmas that year

Next year, they will be offering fuses which have been precision-aligned by being spun, on axis, at 1,000,000 rpm once they get the Tesla Turbine kit assembled. First shipments, boxing day. Early experiments powered by a Mamod sream engine showed promise but indicated that far more RPM was needed.

David
Old 21st Dec 2019, 1:35 am   #1047
Argus25
No Longer a Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post

Next year, they will be offering fuses which have been precision-aligned by being spun, on axis, at 1,000,000 rpm once they get the Tesla Turbine kit assembled.

David
Some of this sort of belief system might have been derived from Homeopathy. Where it is thought you can modify a substance by applying mechanical vibrations to it and bestow upon the molecules special properties. And that a compound, or the solvent it was in, becomes more powerful as it is diluted to nothingness as well.

Some years ago my Anesthetist got interested in testing out some of these ideas, so while he was in Timor working for the Army he took a trip down to the ocean and threw in a drop of anesthetic. The theory would be that as it became progressively diluted, by the time he got back to Australia, everyone would be asleep.
Argus25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Dec 2019, 6:23 am   #1048
Radio Wrangler

That fits!

Such a reciprocal value system explains why the word 'Quantum' to them means 'very big'.

I'm waiting for the audiophile power cord people to take the next big step, to realise that they won't be allowed to upgrade the cabling to the house, the substation etc. because the power company own all that. The only possible escape from all the bad ju-ju that this immense amount of non-audiophile stuff puts into an audio system is to install your own generation system.

So what will sound best?

Photovoltaics and batteries?
Wind turbine and batteries?
Spark ignition?
Compression ignition?
Steam?
All of the above, combined?

Of course, the power companies could get in on the act and offer audiophile-grade connections with rhodium plated, woven, underground cables to a group of homes - a sort of audiophile gated community. The cost would be reassuringly high. Extra cost for pre-burnt-in.

Business opportunities!

David
Old 21st Dec 2019, 6:36 am   #1049
mole42uk
Nonode

The generator power source is obviously irrelevant since the real variable is whether to generate DC or AC, and then to determine the correct number of cycles per millisecond …

Index:
recursive loop: see recursive loop
mole42uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Dec 2019, 7:35 am   #1050
terrybull
Octode

There is a power station about 4 miles as the crow flies from my house. I’m still waiting for the time when I can afford oxygen free gold plated wire from there to here. I am fortunate though as the River Trent is crossed by the grid and I do get a more fluid sound than at my previous abode.
terrybull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Dec 2019, 8:16 am   #1051
Karen O
Rest in Peace

Quote:
And that a compound, or the solvent it was in, becomes more powerful as it is diluted to nothingness as well.
Homeopathy is dangerous - you can overdose if you miss a dose!
Karen O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Dec 2019, 8:23 am   #1052
defender
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_BS View Post
I try to avoid reading adverts aimed at high-end audio aficionados, but I was sent to this site by a friend and was unable to unhitch my gaze as I learnt more and more about fuses and realised just how ignorant I was...

https://www.synergisticresearch.com/fuses/blue/
Well a phool and his money.... I'll bet their "research lab" is just a room where they take a normal fuse, re label it and put it in a fancy box.
Hats off to them for their "technobabble" that draws in the gullible Audiophool
defender is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Dec 2019, 8:28 am   #1053
Sideband
Dekatron

How anyone is allowed to produce this drivel, get away with it AND make huge sums of money is beyond me. More phool the person who actually believes it.....
Old 21st Dec 2019, 10:06 am   #1054
GrimJosef
Dekatron

Quote:
... I'm waiting for the audiophile power cord people to take the next big step, to realise that they won't be allowed to upgrade the cabling to the house, the substation etc. because the power company own all that. The only possible escape from all the bad ju-ju that this immense amount of non-audiophile stuff puts into an audio system is to install your own generation system ...
They're more than half way there already. Mains power regenerators have been on sale for quite a while now. These do the technically simple job of converting the actual mains to relatively low voltage DC then using that to run a solid-state 50Hz generator capable of delivering a kilowatt or two. Unlike the genuinely poor quality unstable stuff which comes out of our wall sockets these days, the output is an undistorted sine wave with tightly controlled amplitude and essentially no noise. Its only weakness compared with the mains is its transient current capability which, while high, isn't nearly as high as the cables back to the substation.

Of course none of this should really be necessary as any competent designer should be able to come up with a power supply and amp that is functionally impervious to poor quality mains. Sadly, and this is the voice of experience speaking, quite a lot of audio kit, particularly the esoteric expensive stuff, is surprisingly badly designed, at least from an objective engineering point of view. Given this it's not impossible that improving the mains supply will actually improve the amp's behaviour, if only measurably rather than audibly.

Of course those who are disquieted by the influence of poor mains might still be troubled by the fact that their regenerator is connected to it. Versions do exist which run off substantial lead-acid batteries, allowing complete isolation while listening. But the devil is whispering in your ear that the batteries have all been charged up with 'bad' electricity, haven't they ...

Cheers,

GJ
Old 21st Dec 2019, 10:18 am   #1055
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

"Today physicists understand electrons don’t flow at all but rather propagate in a wave of energy that moves along a conductor with a multitude of factors that alters this wave at the quantum level."

Um - I'm a physicist. And I understand not a word of that. The electron gas model of electron transport in metals was set down in 1900. The only significant modification was in 1912 by Debye and Einstein - the Debye cube law to describe heat capacity. Which is a whole different concept of "today"!

"To understand how electricity travels without electrons ever leaving their respective atoms...so too does electricity ‘move’ without electrons ever leaving their atoms"

The conduction electrons very definitely leave their atoms, hence the term "electron gas" to describe electron motion in a conductor. The don't go very far at all in an AC current though, they just oscillate back and forth about a mean position.

"At Synergistic Research we’ve isolated key factors that affect how electricity propagates by changing the behavior of electrons through Inductive Quantum Coupling methods we collectively call UEF Tech. In fact, UEF Tech is so powerful even an electrical chain several miles long is fundimentally improved with nothing more than a single fuse engineered with our patented UEF Technology"

I don't know how begin to unpick this nonsense!
Craig Sawyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Dec 2019, 11:45 am   #1056
emeritus
Dekatron

Perhaps the answer might be in their patent. Not that that might be any clearer. Didn't Ron L Hubbard the scientologist get a patent for his heironymous machine that generated ( I think) eloptic radiation?
emeritus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Dec 2019, 11:49 am   #1057
ajgriff
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideband View Post
How anyone is allowed to produce this drivel, get away with it AND make huge sums of money is beyond me. More phool the person who actually believes it.....
It seems to me that businesses all over the world have been doing this for centuries but perhaps I'm just cynical. I think it's something called 'the profit motive' that leads people to stretch the truth as far as it can go.

Alan
ajgriff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Dec 2019, 11:50 am   #1058
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by emeritus View Post
Perhaps the answer might be in their patent. Not that that might be any clearer. Didn't Ron L Hubbard the scientologist get a patent for his heironymous machine that generated ( I think) eloptic radiation?
I've searched for that in the US patent database and so far drawn a blank
Craig Sawyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Dec 2019, 11:51 am   #1059
Radio Wrangler

Synergistic Research = Trying things randomly, hoping to discover coincidences.

"isolated key factors that affect how electricity propagates" = learning not to touch electrical things if you don't want to get a shock.

"by changing the behavior of electrons" = something like training horses for dressage. Electrons do move significantly if large DC currents are passed for enough time, so electrons are moved around and around really nice circuits made entirely of audiophile wire and components for them to get used to this and to consider it normal. Only after extended training are they moved into other components or wire, displacing the untrained electrons in them. These components are now wonderful (literally, full of wonder) and they can start training the untrained electrons which now reside in the training circuit. I wonder what they use as a reward treat for well-trained electrons? A polo mint seems a bit too big.

"Inductive Quantum Coupling" = Inductive coupling. We know that everything is made up of many discrete quanta, therefore everything is 'Quantum', so the word becomes meaningless and has no use off of a scrabble board.

"we collectively call UEF Tech" = UEF must be the acronym for Inductive Quantum Coupling, in the secret language known only to the highest end audiophiles. Us mere mortals only catch the occasional clue, like this one.

There is also the possibility that someone just fed the phrase "A chain is only as strong as its weakest link" in as the seed for a random jargon generator.

Patented = I do wonder just what aspect is actually patented. In this sort of thing it's unlikely to be what they want you to think it is. Patent officers have to be very literal.

David
Old 21st Dec 2019, 12:17 pm   #1060
evingar
Octode

Quote:
That fits!

Of course, the power companies could get in on the act and offer audiophile-grade connections with rhodium plated, woven, underground cables to a group of homes - a sort of audiophile gated community. The cost would be reassuringly high. Extra cost for pre-burnt-in.

David

Jeez, don't you know anything ?
That should be "Oxygen Free, rhodium plated, woven, underground cables"