UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Old 23rd Feb 2024, 12:28 pm   #1
steamer
Diode

Default Smiths Sectric Clock - noisy

Good morning,
I have a Smiths Sectric 240v Clock which keeps good time but is noisy (grumbly rumble is my best description!) and sometimes takes several pushes of the rod to start it.
From reading Forum entries I gather that it probably needs dismantling, cleaning and reassembling.
I am reasonably competent with small mechanisms but would be grateful if someone on the Forum could point me to a website or other message with a guide or other help with this task.
I attach two photos if this will help.
Thank you in advance for any help you can provide,
Kind regards,
Chris Palin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20240221_162004741~2.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	293482   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20240221_162046571.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	293483  
steamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Feb 2024, 1:48 pm   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Smiths Sectric Clock - noisy

Hello, and welcome, Chris.

This is the Smiths "De Luxe" movement, their second electric design. Common in pre-war and early post-war clocks, though I think it stayed current for big ones like yours (the "Delhi Major" model) a little longer.

Very reliable with the occasional service. We have one in our bedroom which is utterly silent and still runs perfectly after almost 90 years. You're right to try to retain it rather than rip it out for a battery quartz movement.

I agree with your diagnosis and cure.

PM me your e-mail address and I'll send you some stuff if I can lay my hands on it.

Nick.

Last edited by Nickthedentist; 23rd Feb 2024 at 2:16 pm.
Nickthedentist is offline   Reply With Quote