UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Jul 2022, 4:29 pm   #1
Grubhead
Heptode

Default Aiwa AD-F410 solenoid replacement

In this deck it has two solenoids one controls fast forward and reverse, the other play. I discovered the play one wasn't moving at all. The copper coil wires showed that it was no longer tightly wound. I had another Aiwa deck which was scrap, but a different model, which had a solenoid that looked the same. So I fitted that. The deck now tries to play, but the solenoid keeps firing off. So at least I know it was the solenoid that had gone. But clearly was the wrong type. I couldn't find a replacement for the actual solenoid on-line. So is there anything else I can do?
Old 4th Jul 2022, 4:43 pm   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Aiwa AD-F410 solenoid replacement

I wonder what's actually happened to, and is wrong with the original solenoid?

I would have thought that a DIY re-wind should be feasible, as the wire's not too thin and the number of turns not that critical.
Old 4th Jul 2022, 6:37 pm   #3
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

Have you checked the solenoid circuit's voltage? I had a Ferrograph problem where a solenoid wouldn't hold in, and it turned out to be low voltage so the solenoid field wasn't strong enough.
Old 4th Jul 2022, 8:18 pm   #4
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Looking at the schematic it looks like the solenoids are low voltage.

For Play the solenoid is energised by driver transistor Q802 collector output, the base of the transistor is driven by signal derived from Microcontroller chip IC801 (pin 42 signal k).

It shows the collector voltage as 2.7V which I assume is the active state and references waveform diagram 7, which shows a pulsed signal.

David
Old 4th Jul 2022, 10:31 pm   #5
DMcMahon
Dekatron

A long shot but if you do check out the solenoid drive voltage and if it is in question, then I would check out the condition of capacitor C803, this connects to the emitter of the drive transistor Q802. If the capacitor was bad (such as shorted) then it may have an adverse effect on the solenoid drive voltage.

C803 is listed as 470uF/16 volt electrolytic, it is possible that on a cassette recorder of this relatively modern vintage that some of the capacitors identified as electrolytic, that some could be Tantalum electrolytics, Tantalum capacitors potentially can be less reliable than standard electrolytics.

These components are fitted on the PCB identified as "Front C.B."

David
Old 5th Jul 2022, 8:11 am   #6
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

I think it's unlikely that this type of solenoid would fail, and as UB and DMcM suggest, it's more likely to be something to do with its drive.
Old 5th Jul 2022, 8:44 pm   #7
Grubhead
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthedentist View Post
I think it's unlikely that this type of solenoid would fail, and as UB and DMcM suggest, it's more likely to be something to do with its drive.
I think it has failed when you can slide the entire top layer of the coil up and down!

Apparently the number is 86-535-611-310.

There is also 91K under that number.
As I said I fitted another solenoid, which does move, but was from a different deck entirely and so fires off repeatedly. I can't tell if it is the circuit doing this, or the circuit is working fine and it can't cope with the new solenoid. I don't think there is an adjuster that can be used to control the solenoid, built in, so my bet is that it will only work right with the correct device.
Old 5th Jul 2022, 8:55 pm   #8
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

I see your point! Could you post a photo, please, just in case anyone can work out what's happened to the solenoid.
Old 7th Jul 2022, 4:12 pm   #9
Grubhead
Heptode

I think you can see a piece of the coil way up in the air in this picture.
But as I said the entire upper wire is unwound.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0397.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	260583  
Old 7th Jul 2022, 5:46 pm   #10
DMcMahon
Dekatron

If you have a test meter see if you can measure continuity/resistance across the solenoid connections.

Also if you have a variable low voltage power supply connect the solenoid across the power supply, starting with the power supply voltage set to minimum and slowly increase the power supply voltage to see if the solenoid will energise.

David
Closed Thread