UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 24th May 2022, 8:19 pm   #1
Pamphonica
Nonode

Default BVWS Biggleswade Meet and Auction - Sunday September 25th 2022

The BVWS committee have finally found and booked a great new venue to replace the old Harpenden Halls "swap-meets". You are probably aware that the Harpenden Halls are no longer taking bookings and will soon be demolished. Finding a suitable replacement has been quite a challenge! (Thanks to Terry Martini-Yates for doing the legwork).

The Weatherley Centre in Biggleswade (SG18 8JH) is ideal for a BVWS meet and auction. Loads of free off-street parking right by the hall (at least 70 spaces by my count, and loads more available nearby). The Weatherley is a lovely spacious, modern building with easy, level access, and it is located only a mile from the Biggleswade junction on the A1. Train services are excellent (under an hour from London), and the station is a 12 minute walk from the hall. Details here: https://www.theweatherleycentre.co.uk/

We are excited to be re-starting these congenial meets for BVWS members, in a good central location, and hope many of you will come and sample the new venue on September 25th.

More details and stall booking forms will be included in the next BVWS Bulletin, which is just going to the printers now (end June). The event will follow the Harpenden format, with members' entry at 0930 (pay on the door, no booking needed), and an auction starting at about 1230. There will as usual be a Bring and Buy stall raising funds for the British Vintage Wireless and Television Museum in Dulwich. Hot and cold drinks and light refreshments will be available.

If the inaugural meet is a success, we will arrange to run it twice-yearly (March and September) as we used to with Harpenden.
I am the "Organiser", so please ask here or via PM if you have any questions. I will be handling all the bookings and arrangements.

We hope that you will support and enjoy this new BVWS initiative.

-Jeremy Owen
Old 24th May 2022, 8:33 pm   #2
stevehertz
Dekatron

Default Re: BVWS Biggleswade Meet and Auction - Sunday September 25th 2022

Great news, thanks to all involved. I'll be there.
Old 24th May 2022, 9:33 pm   #3
Station X

I've added this event to the Forum Calander.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 24th May 2022, 11:01 pm   #4
Andrewausfa
Octode

That's super news Jeremy, well done to all involved. Even more super is it's just down the A1 for me!

Andrew
Old 25th May 2022, 7:54 am   #5
dodgy-dxer
Heptode

My old Grammar School!
Old 25th May 2022, 11:57 am   #6
bigfathairyvika
Hexode

Sounds good to me, may become a BVWS member now as it's just round the corner...
Old 25th May 2022, 2:44 pm   #7
chriswood1900
Octode

Great news and thank-you Jeremy for organising this and Terry for finding it I'm looking forward to going there.
Old 25th May 2022, 3:40 pm   #8
Stuart R
Heptode

Sad to see the Harpenden Halls going but this looks an excellent replacement. Well done to the team on finding it.

Just up the A1 from me - so very convenient.

If you're travelling form further afield there's a good retail park on the South side of the town by the A1, which might keep partners entertained if shopping for Radio &TV bits isn't their thing.

Usual High Street names in the small town centre and some nice independent places to eat and drink on the Market Square.

Not far from The Shuttleworth Collection (early aircraft and nice gardens) and the RAF Signals Museum in Henlow (if it's open that weekend) if you wanted to make your trip even more worthwhile.

SR
Old 2nd Jul 2022, 6:52 pm   #9
Pamphonica
Nonode

Table bookings are starting to come nicely. The booking form was in the last Bulletin, or contact me if you have mislaid it and I'll get you a copy.
And thank you to two people who have already volunteered to help us out on the day.

I'll be about at RWB tomorrow (July 3rd) if you have any questions.

-Jeremy
Old 2nd Jul 2022, 7:03 pm   #10
Cobaltblue

I'm weighing it up its an Extra 46 miles for me on top of the 416 round trip to Harpy.

I know it has been a tough task to find a replacement for Harpy, but this may just be a bit too far and its my wife's birthday that week.

I will see how things are nearer the time.

Cheers

Mike T
Old 2nd Jul 2022, 7:39 pm   #11
Paul Stenning
Administrator

There is “100 Years of Broadcasting TV Event” at the museum in Dulwich the day before so it could be a good weekend of events to help justify the extra distance for some people (assuming you can find somewhere affordable to stay).

Although it is 46 miles further from London and anywhere south, it is easier access just off the A1 and there’s plenty of parking by the hall, so it may not take that much longer to get there, park and be in the hall.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 4th Jul 2022, 3:12 pm   #12
Pamphonica
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Stenning View Post

Although it is 46 miles further from London and anywhere south, it is easier access just off the A1 and there’s plenty of parking by the hall, so it may not take that much longer to get there, park and be in the hall.

Actually, starting from South Mimms Services for instance, Harpenden is 14 miles away and Biggleswade is 31 miles away (Google Maps), so actually not such a huge difference, and with less cross-country driving to do.
Old 8th Aug 2022, 11:57 am   #13
Pamphonica
Nonode

I have received quite a number of table requests now, which is excellent. There are still some tables available.
I will be sending out packs to each seller about 2-3 weeks before the event. These will contain location information, table location and wristband(s). Only those with seller/organiser wristbands will be allowed into the hall before public opening.
All cheques received up to 21st July have already been passed to our treasurer so you should soon see that they have been cashed. I will do another batch to him on Aug 22nd.
If you have any questions or concerns about applications just call me. Number in the bulletin.
all best
-Jeremy
Old 18th Aug 2022, 2:24 pm   #14
Pamphonica
Nonode

If you are visiting the new Biggleswade Meet and Auction, the postcode is SG18 8JH.
In Eagle Farm Road, use the entrance signposted Stratton Upper School and Weatherley Centre. The Weatherley Centre itself is straight ahead at the back of the complex, beyond the tennis courts. The large parking area is to the left of the centre as you approach it. Disabled parking is right in front. Please enter the hall through the front door unless you are a seller.
Entry 9:00 for sellers and 9:30 for buyers. Auction at 12:30
See you all on September 25th!
-Jeremy
Old 18th Aug 2022, 10:19 pm   #15
Andrewausfa
Octode

Looking forward to it.

Andrew
Old 19th Aug 2022, 12:13 am   #16
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamphonica View Post
If you are visiting the new Biggleswade Meet and Auction, the postcode is SG18 8JH.
In Eagle Farm Road, use the entrance signposted Stratton Upper School and Weatherley Centre. The Weatherley Centre itself is straight ahead at the back of the complex, beyond the tennis courts. The large parking area is to the left of the centre as you approach it. Disabled parking is right in front. Please enter the hall through the front door unless you are a seller.
Entry 9:00 for sellers and 9:30 for buyers. Auction at 12:30
See you all on September 25th!
-Jeremy
I will add that information to the BVWS website in the next few days.

EDIT: now done.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster

Last edited by Paul Stenning; 19th Aug 2022 at 11:25 am. Reason: Now done
Old 24th Aug 2022, 1:14 pm   #17
Pamphonica
Nonode

I have been asked whether auction items can be entered on the day, as has traditionally been done at Harpenden.

Mike Barker has confirmed that a small number of items can still be submitted on the day, but once that allocation is full no more items can be accepted. Items will be accepted entirely at the Auctioneer's discretion.

This facility is designed for members wanting to submit just one or two small items, not radiograms or complete collections!

-Jeremy
Old 5th Sep 2022, 11:18 am   #18
Pamphonica
Nonode

Only 3 weeks to go! The arrangements are going well, so we should all have a great day out. Auction and Bring & Buy as usual.

Mike Barker has kindly re-scouted the route from the A1 and pointed out that some signs to the Weatherley Centre have now vanished due to a re-design of the Stratton Upper School entrance on Eagle Farm Road. (Google Streetview shows an out-dated entrance).

Use the postcode (SG18 8JH) in your satnav, not just "Weatherley Centre". The latter takes you astray. I will be putting up large BVWS direction signs at strategic points.

I will be sending out seller packs at the weekend. We have about 4 tables left now. Call or PM me (soon!) if you want a table.

all best
-Jeremy
Old 5th Sep 2022, 4:46 pm   #19
The Philpott
Dekatron

There is a 'Clayton and Shuttleworth Tour' at the Shuttleworth collection on the 24th for anyone wanting to make a weekend of it, but it is £20 per head and the website is very sketchy on what you actually get..so possibly for diehard steam people only. (One hopes hangars and gardens open as normal though..hard to tell these days.)

Dave
Old 13th Sep 2022, 2:37 pm   #20
murphymad
Heptode

Hi All,

Just for information, there will be an auction as usual at the Biggleswade event.
I am expecting to run it at about 200 lots as this time I need more space in the van put aside for things we would not have needed at the old Harpenden venue like PA system and speakers etc.

I will accept a small number of items into the auction on the day but only stuff that is related to vintage radio, TV and Audio. NO Lawnmowers, tents or bicycles...

An auction catalogue will appear on the BVWS website but probably not until Thursday evening before due to the sheer amount of work I have going on at present.

I hope to see a lot of you there as it looks to be a very busy and interesting day as I know the stall bookings are very good.

All the best

Mike...