UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 9th May 2022, 8:53 am   #41
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

Default Re: RetrotechUK 2022 - Sunday May 8th

It was a really good day out, I dragged my mum and dad out as well, and they also enjoyed it! I don’t think I’ve spoken to as many people before, some forum members, some not. I have to say a really big thank you to everyone on the bring and buy for re homing absolutely everything that I put there! I did keep popping back to make sure it really had all gone, I didn’t want them to be left with any of it! The display of working TV’s was nice to see, and also nice to see they kept working all day!

As usual I came back with some good bits and bobs, a nice Ekco ‘Radiotime’, which got a lot of comments whilst walking around with it! Another Ekco, the valve portable with misshapen front and rear covers, a Philips something or other, Philips bench multimeter, one of those Atomos recorders, a TV22 chassis, a Sony watchman tv, some cloth and some knobs. Sounds like a lot, but the car was lighter on the way home!

We couldn’t get a table at the Dun cow at Dunchurch, so we went the opposite way to the Kings Head at Wellesbourne, it’s run by the same chain, so has similar menu, I can highly recommend it, it’s a lovely pub!

Many thanks again to all who organise and make this work, you do a great job, and long may it continue! And hopefully one day I’ll get enough stuff together to have a stall too.

Regards
Lloyd
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	45E1DD2A-65D3-4843-99E6-272A469818CD.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	256833  
Old 9th May 2022, 9:10 am   #42
Cobaltblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd 1985 View Post
Another Ekco, the valve portable with misshapen front and rear covers,
Regards
Lloyd
An EKCO Princess by any chance

https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/ekco_princess_p63p_6.html

Cheers

Mike T
Old 9th May 2022, 9:33 am   #43
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

That’s the one! It’s a bit wonky, but I have been told how to re shape it, using some MDF formers, some little clamps, and a bit of heat.

I’ve only just got to empty the car! So here’s a photo of everything out in the morning sunshine

Regards
Lloyd
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	73ADA2AD-BFB1-4A66-9838-4F2624D8363C.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	159.9 KB
ID:	256835   Click image for larger version

Name:	96DD4CB8-2EC0-417B-833B-0B859D8CBB18.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	256836  
Old 9th May 2022, 10:03 am   #44
beamcurrent
Heptode

To add to the appreciation of the efforts of the BVWS team Thank You form the BTTT team.

We had a good show, lots of interest and I talked myself hoarse! for those who were not able to attend hear is a picture the Trust's display. Our feature, to match the 100 years of broadcasting, was a 1/3 century of broadcast portable TV cameras, 1974 to 2008.

The write up for the earliest one a Marconi Mk VIIIp is attached. Would like to write much more, time is short.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	retro 2022 01.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	256838  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf mcr21 retrotech 2022 marconi mkviiip.pdf (135.6 KB, 75 views)

Visit the Virtual Broadcast TV Camera Museum
Old 9th May 2022, 10:58 am   #45
SeanStevens
Octode

Many thanks to all involved in planning and organising on the day - GREAT event.

SEAN
Old 9th May 2022, 11:00 am   #46
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Quote:

I’ve only just got to empty the car! So here’s a photo of everything out in the morning sunshine

Regards
Lloyd
Snap! and here is my total purchases in the sunshine minus the teas and sandwiches, to late for a photo of them I was trying to sell as I ran out of room years ago.

John.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SAM_1629.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	123.9 KB
ID:	256850  
Old 9th May 2022, 11:31 am   #47
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Quote:
That’s the one! It’s a bit wonky, but I have been told how to re shape it, using some MDF formers, some little clamps, and a bit of heat.

Regards
Lloyd
Top right set in photo, is that a Philips without a tuning capacitor? Uses the "P" type tuner common in car radios. The name escapes me at present.

John.
Old 9th May 2022, 11:41 am   #48
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

Hi John,

That looks like a good little selection of items!

Yes, the Philips is a 291U, and it has a rather interesting tuning arrangement, I think it’s called permeability tuning, I have an almost identical Mullard version of the set that has been butchered by the Bluetooth brigade, which I intend to bring back to life, so this one will help by giving me something to copy! It seems to work to some extent, a bit quiet and hummy, but it’s working. When I first opened the Mullard one I thought that whoever butchered it had also nicked the tuning capacitor, until I followed the dial cord, it was one of those ‘what the..?! Ah.. that’s different!’ Moments!

Regards
Lloyd
Old 9th May 2022, 12:56 pm   #49
Beobloke
Heptode

I would also like to add my thanks to the organisers fo another great day out.

Sadly, I completely failed in my mission "not to buy anything" and came home with pair of Mordaunt Short MS-300 speakers that I don't need!
Old 9th May 2022, 12:59 pm   #50
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Quote:
Hi John,

Yes, the Philips is a 291U, and it has a rather interesting tuning arrangement, I think it’s called permeability tuning,

Regards
Lloyd
That's the word, I was Googling "pre" and I got millions of results about some Premier League or other .

John.
Old 9th May 2022, 1:03 pm   #51
electronicskip
Nonode

May i add my thanks also to the organisers and volunteers who made the show a success!!
I think i bought every CB Radio and their accessories in the show plus some Amstrad (dont laugh) early amps and tuners for a small sum too.
Also picked up a nice Marine VHF Transceiver too.
Old 9th May 2022, 1:17 pm   #52
Dickie
Octode

My thanks too. I had an interesting and fun day out. Delivered a variac to Mark (The General) and donated my B139s to the B&B stall which sold quickly and a while later could be spotted on another stall (should have asked more!) Under strict instructions not to buy anything so only came home with a valve.
It seemed to me there were the usual numbers of punters and slightly fewer stalls. It will be interesting to see if the show made a profit.

Richard, BVWS member
Old 9th May 2022, 2:09 pm   #53
Aub
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60 oldjohn View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aub View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60 oldjohn View Post

Yes, but the best freshest bread buns

John.
Round hear we call them "batches". Mind you they're a bit posher in the south of the county 😀

Aub
Round ear they make bread buns in batches!

John.
Round here, that would be a batch of batches

Aub
Old 9th May 2022, 5:58 pm   #54
harvestgold
Hexode

I'd also like to add my thanks to the organisers and B&B stallholders! I couldn't make last September's, so it was the first in three years. It certainly seemed busier than in 2019 and had a good atmosphere.

I had a bit saved up from the last couple of years, so I treated myself to a very nice Edison Standard Phonograph together with a box of cheap 2 minute cylinders to go with it - something I've always wanted, but could never justify buying - I'm not disappointed!

I also bought a box or 78s (it was labelled '50p each or £20 for the box', so to save my knees from kneeling to look through them all, I bought the lot - 93 in total and again, I'm delighted with my purchase). Four packets of urgently required medium tone needles were next, then some more nice, early 78s (mostly comedy) rounded things off. Oh, I also bought an Advance J2 AF signal generator from the BVWS stall.

Best of all, I got rid of everything I brought with me, bar a few talking book cassettes, on the B&B stall, so my entry fee and petrol costs were covered!

Already looking forward to next year. . .
Neil.
Old 10th May 2022, 4:34 pm   #55
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Very many thanks to everyone that donated items to the museum tables. It was a fantastic day and much enjoyed it.
I missed the home made steak pie but the caterers did very well. Nice to meet so many faces. John.
Old 10th May 2022, 7:55 pm   #56
agardiner
Octode

I would also like to add my thanks. Really enjoyed it and came home with a few bargains. My 15 year old grandson also came and got some interesting projects.

Already looking forward to next year!
Old 10th May 2022, 8:11 pm   #57
duncanlowe
Nonode

I enjoyed it too, thanks to those who organised. My wife was with me too, and actually to some extent enjoyed seeing quite how much of our stuff (yes hers as well as mine) was on sale there. She also realised quite how many of us (as in blokes that look like me), have a similar look! I did briefly meet with Vinylspinner, thanks for the coffeee. I seriously think I need to spend some time in the loft to drag stuff down in time for the next one!
Old 11th May 2022, 9:32 am   #58
linescan87
Heptode

I would like to express my thanks to the BVWS for organising yet another excellent event.

Myself and Miriam had a wonderful day, so great to meet up with people again after such a long time.

Also a big thank you to the Bring & Buy stall holders who managed to sell all the stuff I brought over, no easy task!

I'm already counting down for next year!

www.youtube.com/c/ojnojirishvintagetvandradio
Old 13th May 2022, 2:03 pm   #59
monaro0162
Pentode

Another big thanks to the organizers, it was a very enjoyable day out.

I went home with a Panasonic HS-NV950 Super VHS VCR, an Akai GXC46D cassette desk, a Pioneer VSX-528 receiver, and a couple of pairs of Wharfedale speakers from the '70's, none of which I needed

On my first walk around after the doors opened at 09:00, I spotted an early working Sanyo Betamax VCR with an absolute bargain price of £15 that I was going to buy, but by the time I got back to the stall, I was beaten to it by an ex-CH4 TV engineer. Co-incidentally he was parked in the car park next to me, on leaving we had a good chat about what a bargain he got and how enjoyable the event was! Prices were very reasonable throughout.

A mate who appreciates anything retro came along with me, and really enjoyed it too. He came away with an QUAD amp set and a lovely Armstrong amp.

Looking forward to the next event!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20220508_184410.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	257091   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220508_182447.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	257092   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220508_185621.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	257093   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220508_182907.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	257094   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220508_121644.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	257095  

Old 13th May 2022, 2:06 pm   #60
monaro0162
Pentode

The one that got away, the bargain Betamax ...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20220508_094453.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	257096  
Closed Thread