UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Apr 2015, 1:48 pm   #1
cxaaron
Pentode

Default HACKER GP42 Gondolier

Hi , I would like some help on solving this issue with the record size selector. It is loose and rocks from side to side and is causing the tone arm to meet with resistance as it moves towards the record, catching on the pickup lever. Seems like it should be more secure under the chassis. Using the S.L 55/65 service manual as a reference .

If I set the part from underneath the chassis then run the turn table it works fine but on the second attempt the selector lever moves over the pin, as seen in the picture.

The deck is Garrard 2025tc, thanks for your time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1a.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	107129   Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	107130  
Old 17th Apr 2015, 11:22 pm   #2
Audio1950
Dekatron

Default Re: HACKER GP42 Gondolier

This might sound a bit obvious, but is it not just a question of doing that nut up a bit tighter? The actual sizing plate looks to be flopping around a bit.

Barry
Old 18th Apr 2015, 9:40 am   #3
cxaaron
Pentode

Hi, did try that and I could not move the nut in either direction. I think this part came loose during cleaning. Maybe I should revisit the nut but I was worried about breaking something with the amount of pressure I used trying to turn it.
Old 18th Apr 2015, 7:26 pm   #4
Audio1950
Dekatron

Squirt some penetrating oil round the top side of the nut, leave overnight, then try again.

Barry
Old 18th Apr 2015, 8:11 pm   #5
electrogram
Heptode

I'm pretty sure it is supposed to be able to move the length of the slot it is in as well as rotate
Old 18th Apr 2015, 9:04 pm   #6
cxaaron
Pentode

Thanks, I got the nut loose but its all the way to the end of its thread so its in the right place. Whats happening is that the lever in the picture is lifting up when the tone arm starts to return to its rest, then the above pictured lever settles on top of the pin also in the picture.

This means that when I play the second record the tone arm meets with resistance from the nut.
Checked with another deck I have and it seems that this record size selector is just lifting up to high. Pretty sure the nut is in its correct place.

Last edited by Brian R Pateman; 18th Apr 2015 at 9:22 pm. Reason: Readability.
Old 18th Apr 2015, 9:42 pm   #7
electrogram
Heptode

Looking at the first picture it seems that the plate of the size selector is slightly bent. It should not be possible for it to be over the pin as shown in the pic
Old 18th Apr 2015, 10:24 pm   #8
cxaaron
Pentode

Hi, i also thought that when i looked more carefully so i remove the part and its perfectly flat and not bent in any way. Feel like there is a bit missing that stops it lifting so high.
Old 19th Apr 2015, 8:35 am   #9
vidjoman
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by cxaaron View Post
Checked with another deck I have and it seems that this record size selector is just lifting up to high.
Why not just look again at the good one to see what is wrong/different/loose etc.?
Old 19th Apr 2015, 5:23 pm   #10
cxaaron
Pentode

Thanks again for all the help.

I did as suggested and found the part I was missing. It is called the record selector extension, unfortunately it was broken in two. Any idea where I might find a replacement?

Last edited by Brian R Pateman; 19th Apr 2015 at 9:34 pm. Reason: E-bay reference removed. The usual edit for readability.
Closed Thread