UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Jul 2020, 10:33 am   #1
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.
Default Bletchley Hero

There is an impressive full page obituary in the Guardian this morning re Helene Aldwinckle, Codebreaker and British Forces Broadcaster!

Dave W
Old 16th Jul 2020, 10:38 am   #2
chriswood1900
Octode

Default Re: Bletchley Hero

Thanks Dave
You can find it online here:-
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...nckle-obituary
Old 16th Jul 2020, 12:02 pm   #3
Superscope
Octode

Thanks Guys, for posting this and the Link.

Interesting reading.

It was a very fascinating time in British History for sure, when Britain had some really clever people in all the right places. Unlike Today!

I assume she was not known as Helene Aldwinckle originally? Unless she happened to meet her Husband who had the same name!

I wonder if the Guy who met her at the Train Station really had a Limp?

Ian
Old 16th Jul 2020, 12:29 pm   #4
Terry_VK5TM
Nonode

Her maiden name was Taylor https://bletchleypark.org.uk/roll-of-honour/8921
Old 16th Jul 2020, 4:15 pm   #5
dave walsh
Dekatron

It says that she met John Aldwinckle when he was an RAF navigator. I'm always interested in coincidence/synchronicity/serendipity. When I looked up that surname, Google went to the village of the same name which is in Kettering Northamptonshire. I'd never been anywhere near there before but my son and his family moved to Kelmarsh last year [just south of Market Harborough]. We used to drive to Kettering to get the Guardian when we stayed with them. There's a small Flight Museum near Kelmarsh as the area was home to many Airfields during WW2. Similar to Bicester where my mother-in-law lives now!

Dave
Old 17th Jul 2020, 8:50 am   #6
dave walsh
Dekatron

On the coincidence front [Ian] my wife has reminded me that a cousin on her mother's side was a Taylor and she married a chap named Taylor!

I'm pretty sure that there would have been a man with a limp at the Station given the intense secrecy around the project. I think this might be referenced in the first Bletchley film Enigma [they are both excellent but different] re the Robert Harris book on which it was based? My son volunteered in Africa when he was eighteen and said that the HB copy I'd given him was the only thing he had to read for a long period of time.

Helene Aldwinckle felt that Bletchley was a fairly straight laced location so I imagine the limping man to be something like the charmless Maramaduke Hussey and his stick. He, in turn, always seemed to me to be an unfortunate re-incarnation of his rather disturbed predecessor at the BBC... John Reith!

I've also noticed that the "Erotic Gramophone" [my other thread] was presented to Picasso by another Helene [Vanel] who was a dancer in 1938.

I haven't found any other coincidences but I'll keep looking

Dave W

Last edited by dave walsh; 17th Jul 2020 at 8:59 am.
Closed Thread