UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Jul 2020, 7:18 am   #1
FoundACollaro
Diode

Default Acos 73 Cartridge - is this fixable?

Hi all,

I recently picked up a Collaro Conquest and have been trying to get it back to working order.

I've managed to get the motor and change system sorted thanks to the info on this site.

I've added photos of the cartridge in use and assume it's an Acos 73. I've found a local (NZ) site that sells a stylus for a GP73. Is this the correct model?

Once I've resoldered the wire I broke I'm wondering if I just need a new stylus to get this working?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200710_174728.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	210692   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200710_174735.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	210693  
Old 10th Jul 2020, 9:15 am   #2
Audio1950
Dekatron

Default Re: Acos 73 Cartridge - is this fixable?

First solder the wire back on, but remove the connecting tag and solder the wire onto that. Whatever you do, don't solder the wire onto the tag whilst it is connected to the cartridge, or the heat will destroy the cartridge (if it's still working, which is doubtful). Then turn the volume up and gently stroke the little rubber pad near the front of the cartridge that sticks out. If the cartridge is still working you will hear a loud noise through the speaker. If you do, then get the stylus you mentioned, which is the correct one.
Old 10th Jul 2020, 10:39 pm   #3
PWH
Heptode

Hi I am in NZ and have NOS Acos cartridge. The stylus may fit or replace the cartridge if it turns out to be duff.
PM if interested
Old 11th Jul 2020, 12:23 am   #4
ben
Dekatron

Judging by the green crud all over it, I'd say that cart is dead. Do you get any sound when you stroke th stylus or rubber 'ears' ?
Closed Thread