UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Oct 2022, 8:25 pm   #1
noah7887
Diode

Question Record player identification

I need some help identifying an old record player I have been given. It's in pretty poor condition and I haven't been able to find out anything about it so far. I plan to get it working again so would like to know what model it is.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20221003_180813.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	265617Click image for larger version

Name:	20221003_182404.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	265618Click image for larger version

Name:	20221003_175937.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	265619Click image for larger version

Name:	20221003_182435.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	265620

Also any general advice on record players would be greatly appreciated, as I don't know too much about them, and this is my first time getting my hands on one.
Old 3rd Oct 2022, 9:28 pm   #2
noah7887
Diode

Default Re: Record player identification

Sorry but I forgot to mention in the originl post, there is a sticker inside that says "BRITISH RADIO CORPN. LTD."
Old 3rd Oct 2022, 10:23 pm   #3
ben
Dekatron

That looks European to me. Not like any BRC (Thorn) machine I've ever seen.

To respond to your second point, have you read the sticky threads here? Pretty much everything is covered in terms of reviving a player. The biggest problem you'll likely face is finding a suitably hi-output cartridge for it.
Old 3rd Oct 2022, 10:37 pm   #4
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

While Ben is almost always right about everything, there are some Ferguson machines from the late 1950s with this kind of styling.

Philip and Pilot were also BRC brands at this time.
Old 3rd Oct 2022, 11:07 pm   #5
G.Castle
Heptode

Hello Noah.

This looks like a very early battery powered player using Mullard transistors in the amplifier. If you can see what the type numbers on the two transistors not in the heat sink clips, and also what the paper label says the battery type that should be used, we may have a better chance of identification, I think its definitely around the 1960 vintage.
Old 3rd Oct 2022, 11:55 pm   #6
noah7887
Diode

Here is a better photo of the battery label:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20221003-234133_Video Player.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	265631

The black transistor reads Mullard OC71 BRITISH MADE T3PP (I've listed it all since I'm not sure which part is relevant)

The silver transistors reads Mullard OC81D BRITISH MADE, (letter mostly rubbed off)3PP.
Old 4th Oct 2022, 9:27 am   #7
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

I would suggest that this is not really the basis for a good record player project. It is battery powered only and unlikely to be able to safely play stereo records. The turntable is of EMI origin. Even when fixed, the output power will be quite low. The cost of restoration needs to be raken into account. From its design cues, I believe this to be a Ferguson model.
Old 4th Oct 2022, 10:17 am   #8
ms660
Dekatron

That deck was also used in the Dansette Diplomat.

Lawrence.
Old 4th Oct 2022, 10:25 am   #9
ben
Dekatron

Interesting unit. There's always one you've never seen before!

As has been said, this will need work both cosmetically and electronically. It will be very easy to spend more time and money than the thing is actually worth, and still end up with a rather mediocre performing unit at the end of it all. I would start by powering the amp up with a PSU and see if there's any life there.
Old 4th Oct 2022, 10:29 am   #10
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

By "design cues", I mean that the thin plastic escutcheon around the control knobs, those small diameter control knobs and that perforated inner amplifier cover, are all redolent of Ferguson/BRC record players of that period.
Old 4th Oct 2022, 11:03 am   #11
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Exactly, Edward!
Old 4th Oct 2022, 7:59 pm   #12
G.Castle
Heptode

Concur, Ferguson.

The amplifier will possibly need those Plessey capacitors replacing, the composition resistors may well have drifted high, but on the bright side, you would be very unlucky if the transistors were shot. The output stage will only manage at most a Watt.

If restored, the unobtainium PP10 battery could be replaced by "D" cells in a six way holder.

The turntable, cartridge, and refinishing the case will be your bigest headache.
Old 4th Oct 2022, 11:07 pm   #13
Lucien Nunes
Rest in Peace

Yes it is worth a mention as per @Edward Huggins that this is something of a niche product and not really a general purpose record player. In its day, its main feature was that it could play records at all without mains power, not that it would do a particularly good job.

If you are new to record players and want a machine to enjoy music in your living room, this is probably not what you are looking for. Seek out a popular middle of the road model for which suitable cartridges are readily available.

If you want to recreate the excitement of having music at your picnic in the 1960s, or to complete a collection of record players of every kind, then it's bang-on.

Also - what is your level of experience with electronic repairs?
Old 4th Oct 2022, 11:12 pm   #14
joebog1
Banned

Many of you have not been overly impressed with this unit. I think ( yes I KNOW I shouldnt ) it's quite a novelty item, even though its value is immaterial.
One very nice thing about it, apart from the missing bits, it's complete. The completly original germaniaum amplifier is, IMHO, a nice thing. It's about where I started my transistor career.

Joe
Old 4th Oct 2022, 11:48 pm   #15
Lucien Nunes
Rest in Peace

I don't think we're unimpressed as such, more cautious not to set the OP - who say's he's new to record players - on a trail of false expectations. In this era of vinyl revival, it's easy to overlook the fact that many record players were made as quick'n'dirty ways to play pop records that were better than nothing but not aimed at serious musical enjoyment. A battery-operated record player can be historically interesting, but it's an outlier.
Old 4th Oct 2022, 11:52 pm   #16
joebog1
Banned

Point taken Lucien.

Joe
Old 5th Oct 2022, 12:05 am   #17
Restoration73
Nonode

I haven't seen this one. The earliest battery portables I saw for service in the mid 70's ;

A Decca model which needed a new cartridge (we used a new stereo compatible type)

A Philips model which had the moving headshell for LP/78 selection.
Old 5th Oct 2022, 12:28 am   #18
G8KBG Tony
Pentode

Could be a slightly later version of the Philco A3755 (1958-1958).

Altlhough the amplifier board looks similar, it's not identical and the A3755 needs 2 batteries.

Looks like there's a family connection though.

Regards
Old 5th Oct 2022, 5:50 am   #19
joebog1
Banned

Tautologically speaking that is Tony.

Joe
Old 5th Oct 2022, 6:23 pm   #20
hamid_1
Heptode

Despite some negative comments, this shouldn't be too difficult for a beginner to work on. The good points are : No complicated autochanger mechanism, Low voltage (no risk of electric shock), No need to worry about waxed paper capacitors if there are any, they don't exhibit significant electrical leakage at low voltages.

If it was me, I would try to power it up with a 9v DC supply. A battery holder with six 1.5v batteries or a mains adaptor. First you will need to find out which of the battery leads is positive and negative, then make sure to connect the power correctly, otherwise the amplifier is likely to be damaged. If you can get the motor to turn and some sound from the amplifier, it shouldn't be too hard to make the whole thing work. If not, then you haven't wasted a lot of time or money and may have learned something in the process.

As others have said, don't expect amazing sound quality and don't play valuable records on it. You can try some inexpensive records from a charity shop. The one thing I'm not sure about is whether it can play 33, 45 or even 78rpm records, or whether it's 45rpm only. In the latter case it's limited to playing 7 inch singles. Even then, there's no shortage of those at charity shops and car boot sales.
Closed Thread