UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Nov 2021, 5:23 pm   #1
safetyfirst
Triode

Default Panasonic DMR-E75V dead

I am a complete amateur so i apologize in advance. My Panasonic video/dvd recorder combo has suddenly packed up. Plug it in ,switch it on and ... nothing. No display at all. I watched a few videos and some of the cures seemed to be to switch out swollen capacitors. This i did but it made no difference. Any ideas?
Old 12th Nov 2021, 5:31 pm   #2
agardiner
Octode

Default Re: Panasonic DMR-E75V dead

Have you replace all the capacitors in the power supply? If not then you need to do this.

If it still doesn't work, what level of experience do you have in fault finding?
Old 15th Nov 2021, 11:07 am   #3
safetyfirst
Triode

Thank you very much for your reply and your advice. I am very much out on a limb here and know very little. I am just keen to learn what i can about a subject i know nothing!
I have changed the two capacitors arrowed in the attached picture - they were domed. I thought initially that the area within the hatched area on the circuit board was AC but i see there is a 400v capacitor in the mix and i think that is DC? it has a sort of moulded plastic around it - is that for insulation?
if i need to change them all, is that within the hatched area or the whole board?
when it comes to problem solving, i have a simple multimeter and can check continuity etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Panasonic DMR.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	245828  
Old 17th Nov 2021, 3:06 pm   #4
agardiner
Octode

So, the type you have changed the 2 off; you need to replace all of that type in the whole power supply. That should then get it going again, fingers crossed.
Old 17th Nov 2021, 4:22 pm   #5
dj_fivos_sak
Heptode

Hello. This is what's called a switching power supply or SMPS. In this type of PSU, the mains AC is changed to DC by means of a bridge rectifier and then the power goes through the big 400V filter capacitor and from there it passes through the oscillator (switching circuit) which is what controls the output voltages. That big capacitor in the primary side almost never fails. It's usually the smaller caps in the primary and secondary side that go high ESR (equivalent series resistance) and cause all kinds of problems. A conventional capacitance meter won't measure the ESR.

Regards

Fivos
Old 17th Nov 2021, 4:24 pm   #6
Norman Raeburn
Heptode

I seem to recall there are some capacitors under the dvd drive that fail in these units. The STR? ic in the power supply can give problems. These aren't the easiest things to work on as you have to remove most of the innards to gain access. All the best, Norman
Old 17th Nov 2021, 5:23 pm   #7
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

It's the EZ48s that are notorious for capacitor failures. However it will do no harm to have a very close look at the main board under the DVD and see if any capacitors are visibly upset (bulging).
How dead is dead? If there's no output from the power supply at all then the fault is most likely in the primary side, helpfully shown dotted to the right of your photo. There's a small capacitor by the heatsink that will need changing and might just cure it. Otherwise I've had the STR IC fail and, if VERY dead, the small bridge rectifier under the board (SMD, four legs).
Good luck - and usual warnings about the big capacitor that can remain charged for many days if there's no activity. We've all been there...
Old 18th Nov 2021, 5:37 pm   #8
safetyfirst
Triode

Thank you all very much for your valuable comments and help. I will have another look at changing all the caps. Probably won't change the 400v one. Any idea what the plastic material is that covers it and adjacent components?
Old 19th Nov 2021, 12:35 pm   #9
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Hot melt adhesive. A sharp blade and/or a little heat will remove it. It's only there to aid manufacture. I agree - the main electrolytic is unlikely to need replacement.
Old 19th Nov 2021, 11:34 pm   #10
Sanbeta
Hexode

Just to add unwisely ,a lot of the Japanese manufacturers fitted the notoriously bad ELNA caps which do fail regularly.The only positive is when they do the tops bulge and you will notice. Any area where there is constant heat will be even more prone to accelerate this action.
The amount of Panasonic DVD recorders,players combi's i've seen with this issue is a joke. But thankfully usually easily rectified and i would'nt recommend The ELNA capacitor make ever.
Old 20th Nov 2021, 12:14 pm   #11
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Yes this is true - often an EZ48 wwill need around fifteen caps replacing! The small 47uF ones are easy to miss but do look slightly bulged. Most other Panasonic equipment (eg TVs) use their own capacitors which are no trouble. I use Panasonics as 'fit and forget' replacements in all repairs.
Old 20th Nov 2021, 12:50 pm   #12
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Just a point, where do you get your NatPan caps from, CPC , Farnell I wonder ?

thank you,

David
Old 20th Nov 2021, 1:10 pm   #13
Norman Raeburn
Heptode

Hi David, I get my Panasonic capacitors from Alan Harrison ex CHS, good prices and service. I can pm his number as I am not sure I can post it on here. All tge best, Norman
Old 21st Nov 2021, 12:52 pm   #14
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

CPC is where I get them, or maybe RS. Make sure they're105 degree parts.
Pleased to hear Alan's still around. Always found CHS to be excellent.
Old 21st Nov 2021, 1:56 pm   #15
Red to black
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman Raeburn View Post
Hi David, I get my Panasonic capacitors from Alan Harrison ex CHS, good prices and service. I can pm his number as I am not sure I can post it on here. All tge best, Norman
That is a blast from the fairly recent past Norman, Alan Harrison was my CHS rep from when I had my account with CHS, nice bloke, he took over from the legendary Alan Round
Old 21st Nov 2021, 2:15 pm   #16
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Thank you Glyn for that information.
Old 24th Nov 2021, 1:01 pm   #17
safetyfirst
Triode

Hello again and thanks once more for all your help and comments. I have now changed the almost all the capacitors on the power board - as shown in my earlier picture - and the result is no change. There is no display and nothing operates. Anything else i can try? i had a problem securing one of the capacitors but it is in and doesn't move. Is there a way i can test that the joint is OK?
Thanks all
Old 24th Nov 2021, 2:34 pm   #18
safetyfirst
Triode

I have seen a YouTube from a fellow in Canada who had a similar problem. He changed out the Caps with no improvement and then did some measurements. The upshot was that the voltage regulator IC wasn't functioning. On my machine this is a 5 pin (three at the front, two at the back) component attached to a heat sink. Its marked IC11150 and is below the transformer in my original photo. I have tracked down a similar looking component (up to 220, 5 pin 4v to 40v is the description). Any advice as to whether this is likely to help? How are these usually specified? I have not found any similar components available.
Old 24th Nov 2021, 2:48 pm   #19
agardiner
Octode

Time for fault finding I think. Do you have any experience in this and any basic test equipment?
Old 24th Nov 2021, 3:46 pm   #20
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Seconded. You'll need a multimeter and also a degree of expertise on working on live high-voltage circuitry. No offence intended, of course - it's just important and helpful to know what level of experience you have.
Closed Thread