UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Nov 2021, 2:15 pm   #1
lightning
Heptode

Default Cossor 54 pre-war TV

l would love a pre-war TV but prices for working ones particularly are predictably high.

What's the rough value of a restored Cossor 54? It's going to be in the £1,000's obviously, but how much is too much?
Old 26th Nov 2021, 4:04 pm   #2
murphyv310
Dekatron

Default Re: Cossor 54 pre-war TV

Hi.
It's down to the age and relative rarity. The Cossor I see for sale is a rare set with perhaps only 10 known survivors. One sold recently at Retrotech, a rough set for around £2000 if I'm not mistaken, a good one could easily sell for double that or even more.

It's difficult to say what's a top price, if someone really wants a particular set he or she may go way beyond what we think is a fair price to bag that particular item, if you can afford it then why not. Prices did drop but I do see some signs of a recovery.
Old 26th Nov 2021, 6:58 pm   #3
lightning
Heptode

Okay thank you, l will bear that in mind.

Pre war TV's are probably out of my reach. l would also like a post war projection TV but these seem very rare in working condition and l am told they are difficult to restore because of the tube.
Old 26th Nov 2021, 7:17 pm   #4
murphyv310
Dekatron

I wonder who told you that?
Projection sets are great fun to restore. I've done a few over the years. My Decca 1000 is a teriffic set, projects onto a 60 inch 4x3 screen. The EHT is interesting at 25kv but it's very well insulated and low current, virtually impossible to get a belt from it and the CRTs are still readily available from the likes of Langrex who have 20 in stock.
Old 26th Nov 2021, 8:05 pm   #5
wd40addict
Octode

If you haven't seen this already: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=25973
Old 27th Nov 2021, 10:16 am   #6
peter_scott
Dekatron

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/17616/lot/674/
Old 27th Nov 2021, 3:24 pm   #7
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

The heat has cooled on the price of pre war TV receivers compared with five or so years ago. It's probably because most guys that wanted one now possess one.
They will never be 'cheap' as such so you have to pay the price level at the time you purchase. J.
Old 27th Nov 2021, 5:13 pm   #8
lightning
Heptode

lt looks like the price will be beyond my reach. But it's a lovely set and a credit
to the restorer.

l read the restoration thread and it took a lot of work/making of parts when it was restored. lt
looks like it was someone from this forum who did it back in 2008.
Closed Thread