UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Nov 2018, 7:56 pm   #21
electronicskip
Nonode

Default Re: BSB Squarials in the wild!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamishBoxer View Post
I recognise those two dishes I passed on.
You certainly do sir!!
Carefully stored and loved now! for future reference,along with the Prestel unit .
Old 20th Nov 2018, 8:06 pm   #22
winston_1
Hexode

Default Re: Squarials in the wild!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepilot View Post
The main point about the squarial was that it could be steered electronically by varying the phases between it's elements. You didn't need to point it at the satellite. You could just turn a pot and receive from different directions.
You may well be right in theory. But no BSB receivers had such a pot and no squarials had the electronics to change the phase. They had to be aligned just like a dish but because of their small size the acceptance angle was wide.
Old 26th Nov 2018, 10:01 am   #23
Snarf81
Heptode

Here's the one I spotted in Caldicot, Monmouthshire.

Richard.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181126_085927_HDR.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	173425  
Old 29th Nov 2018, 7:01 pm   #24
Julesomega
Nonode

I've just found my BSB offest mini-dish, if anyone is looking for one. Haven't found the LNB yet. Should it have the little cone over the circular waveguide, like the one on Wikipedia? You can't see that very clearly, so here is mine just now.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BSB Mini-dish.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	173645  

It's good here
Old 29th Nov 2018, 7:09 pm   #25
Andrew2
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxdoctor View Post
I may be wrong, but is not the Squariel circularly polarised?
I recall they could be used with some other sattellite (Thor?) at the time, but needed a modified receiver.
Does anybody know if there is any currently used sattellites using circular polarisation? Tony.
I had read many reports of the Squarial being circularly-polarised, but in my later experiments it seemed to be linearly-polarised. Pointing at a conventional H or V satellite transmission, it was possible to null out the signal by rotating the squarial by 90 degrees. To me, this indicates it was not circularly polarised.
Old 2nd Apr 2020, 8:58 pm   #26
Stuart R
Heptode

Two more Squarials regularly spotted...

Squarial 1 in North West London. Can't get close enough to see if it was a BSB one and will never know now as it has been removed in the last few weeks.

Squarial 2 - Seen again on my bike ride today, a regular route.

Pictures from Google Streetview.

There were quite a few early Satellite viewers here, it is the same street where I remember delivering an Amstrad-Fidelity Sky system in the late 1980s as a Saturday boy at the Co-Op. Letchworth wasn't a big enough branch to stock such luxuries, these could only be sold through the larger Stevenage Branch. My boss wasn't happy about that and got a couple of systems in from the warehouse, but they wouldn't supply him with any advertising material. The Window Dresser made some cardboard dishes with hand-drawn Sky logos on, putting them in the window got the sales going.

SR
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Squarial 1.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	202080   Click image for larger version

Name:	Squarial 2.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	202081  
Closed Thread