UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Mar 2020, 12:58 pm   #1
RojDW48
Nonode

Default Stuck motor comes unstuck and sticks again!

This is the little Philips autochanger in the wanted section, missing its spindles. When I tried it out I got nothing at all. The drive spindle was stuck. A bit of easing oil and manipulation got it going - job done I thought. But this morning I had to do that all over again - any ideas as to what's wrong here?
Old 15th Mar 2020, 7:22 pm   #2
trevatxtal
Triode

Default Re: Stuck motor comes unstuck and sticks again!

Sync motors often have self aligning bearings. (Brass or copper ball with the shaft hole through it).

A sharp tap with a hammer on the side of the laminations will often cure sticking.
Old 3rd Apr 2020, 12:20 am   #3
RojDW48
Nonode

Default Re: Stuck motor comes unstuck and sticks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevatxtal View Post
Sync motors often have self aligning bearings. (Brass or copper ball with the shaft hole through it).

A sharp tap with a hammer on the side of the laminations will often cure sticking.
Finally I got around to it. Many thanks - a good whack sorted it out. Warming, cleaning and lubricating got the whole thing working properly again. Nice little TT - cheers - Roger.