UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 29th May 2020, 10:24 am   #1
67petree
Diode

Default Garrard 2025TC turntable.

Thanks for letting me join!

I have been given my late grandmother's record player. It's a bush srp51 with a garrad 2025tc record player within.

It hasn't been played for quite a number of years so has been needing some cleaning.

I have 2 issues with it..

1) when you select auto, the spindle does what its suppose to do and let the record drop. The arm will lift - and rest again on its rest. The player will then go to the "off" position.

2) when I finally manage to get the player to play and come to the end of the record, the platter will literally grind to a complete halt because it seems to strain with the extra task of moving the arm back.

Not sure if I've missed a grease point or the it has motor/idle wheel issues?
Old 29th May 2020, 10:37 am   #2
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: Garrard 2025TC turntable.

It's suffering from a lack of use and needs re-lubricating, it's probably the old "hardened grease" issue. As to the arm not moving across, are you setting down the overarm firmly on top of the stack of records? Please forgive the question, but are you used to using autochangers?
Old 31st May 2020, 12:03 am   #3
Michael Maurice

Default Re: Garrard 2025TC turntable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67petree View Post

1) when you select auto, the spindle does what its suppose to do and let the record drop. The arm will lift - and rest again on its rest. The player will then go to the "off" position.

Edward he has put the record on the stack part of the spindle.

When I get these in, I literally strip them to more or less the bare chassis, clean off all the old grease and rebuild it.

This isn't for the faint hearted and it does take around 3 hours but it clears most faults.

The reason the turntable grinds to a halt is a) because it needs re-lubricating and b) the idler wheel needs replacing.

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Closed Thread