UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 18th May 2020, 5:57 pm   #1
Dorian27
Heptode

Default Akai 1800SD

Akai This machine was workin fine then all of a sudden the right hand volume went very low on sterio i was playing a tape at the time the left is fine but the right hand side is now full on with about a quarter volume of sound on full. I recently cleaned both volume controls as they where crakeling and all has been fine until to day. Any ide where to start looking plese
Old 18th May 2020, 6:11 pm   #2
BRASSBITS
Hexode

Default Re: Akai 1800SD

first call would be to clean the heads
Old 18th May 2020, 8:44 pm   #3
Dorian27
Heptode

Heads cleaned with no difference in sound on right side
Old 19th May 2020, 12:44 pm   #4
duncanlowe
Nonode

What did you clean the controls with? Even with proper contact cleaner, I've had a volume control disintegrate a few eeks after cleaning (in this case a linear one on a portable TV).
Old 19th May 2020, 5:21 pm   #5
Dorian27
Heptode

I pulled it apart and cleaned it with isopropyl and cotton swab it all was working fine then all of a sudden volume right dropped.
Old 23rd May 2020, 2:25 pm   #6
Dorian27
Heptode

Is there any one who can qive any advice where to look. I beleve it is a type c according to the cards there are 2 main amp cards do you think the fault could be there the volume on record on the right hand side is also a lot lower than left.
Old 23rd May 2020, 3:40 pm   #7
ms660
Dekatron

Make sure the Rec/Playback switch contacts are making properly, also the contacts on the reel to reel and cartridge switches, the signal when reel to reel is selected is dependent on the cartridge switch contacts making properly.

Lawrence.
Old 26th May 2020, 4:36 pm   #8
Dorian27
Heptode

Hi Lawrance. I think the problem is with the cartridge swich i sprayed it with swich cleaner and now the sound has gone even lower. But to get or take the swich off is murder as it is very difficult to get to as there are so many connections abd wires i am not happy to take the risk as i am only an amateur at this any way you can suggest or an easy way round it.
Old 26th May 2020, 4:47 pm   #9
ms660
Dekatron

I've never worked on one of these machines so I'm not familiar with the layout other than what's shown in the manual.

I would try again if you now think it's that switch, failing that you might have to remove to get better access for cleaning.

Lawrence.
Closed Thread