UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 31st May 2020, 12:42 pm   #21
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: HELP: CD does not Start

In which case, a tiny drop of oil on the top bearing might be worth a go!
Old 31st May 2020, 2:51 pm   #22
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

It fails to play on any CD. I'll try some oil, I can just about see the spindle from the top. Thanks again Chaps.
Old 31st May 2020, 5:05 pm   #23
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Now tried that. No improvement. Thanks.
Old 1st Jun 2020, 10:21 am   #24
vinrads
Dekatron

Disconnect the wires from the spindle motor , and run it up on a pp3 for a few min ,a squirt of switch cleaner in one of the small holes , this is what we used to do back in the day, Mick.
Old 1st Jun 2020, 10:58 am   #25
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Yes, used to be the same for video recorders' reel motors too.
Old 5th Jun 2020, 3:21 pm   #26
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

I've had another crack at this, whilst in the meantime posting a request for hands-on help. I did as suggested earlier (Post #13) and manually slid the laser pick up assembly to the very edge of its travel - furthest out from the centre. I dare not do this earlier as I was nervous about overcoming its (geared) resistance and having never needed to do this before. I then powered up and inserted a disc. The TOC displayed, I pressed Play and it worked immediately! It played all 11 tracks 100%. Having done this, it failed to re-start. I again (now, more confidently) slid the pick up back over as before. But again nothing. This proves the disc is being read OK, the step motor works and the motor spins. But it just does not solve its failure to start Play. I'm daunted by the density of the packed Boards inside and will certainly still welcome help, either virtually or hands-on....
Old 5th Jun 2020, 9:52 pm   #27
samjmann
Heptode

I'm probably a bit far away to offer hands on, however maybe a few more checks might help.

1. Insert a clean disc, check if TOC is read.
2. Insert a damaged disc, or a scratched CD-R, note how long the TOC read
time is. On a unit with a good laser the TOC read time will be almost identical
3. Re-insert your good disc, look for the TOC, then press play.
4. If it didn't play, if you've got a remote for it, try the play command on that.
5. If still no play, after TOC reading, manually select a track number other than
number one, and see if that plays.

It almost seems that the unit is simply not seeing the play command from the
local keyboard, hence that's why I suggested the remote, assuming of course
that there was one from new! As others have mentioned, it really is unusual for this to
be a fault on one of the surface mount PCB's.
The spindle (turntable) motor could have a dead spot on it, once up to speed the unit will
play, but TOC reading can be fussy. On these top loaders I've in the past, put a matchstick or
similar into the hole where the lid catch/switch is located, the spin motor should then 'kick' to get
the laser seeing the reflective part of the disc. You can do this with a disc in, but you'll need a disc
clamp from and old unit to stop the disc from slipping on the turntable.

If I had the unit, at this point I think I would be opening the unit and removing the laser mech and checking the motors and gears as previously posted. A longish No1 point Philips driver is handy for opening up this type of product.

Regards, SJM.
Old 7th Jun 2020, 12:08 pm   #28
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

My thanks again for all these tips! Still thinking what to try next!?
Old 7th Jun 2020, 5:00 pm   #29
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by samjmann View Post
I'm probably a bit far away to offer hands on, however maybe a few more checks might help.

1. Insert a clean disc, check if TOC is read.
2. Insert a damaged disc, or a scratched CD-R, note how long the TOC read
time is. On a unit with a good laser the TOC read time will be almost identical
3. Re-insert your good disc, look for the TOC, then press play.
4. If it didn't play, if you've got a remote for it, try the play command on that.
5. If still no play, after TOC reading, manually select a track number other than
number one, and see if that plays.

It almost seems that the unit is simply not seeing the play command from the
local keyboard, hence that's why I suggested the remote, assuming of course
that there was one from new! As others have mentioned, it really is unusual for this to
be a fault on one of the surface mount PCB's.
The spindle (turntable) motor could have a dead spot on it, once up to speed the unit will
play, but TOC reading can be fussy. On these top loaders I've in the past, put a matchstick or
similar into the hole where the lid catch/switch is located, the spin motor should then 'kick' to get
the laser seeing the reflective part of the disc. You can do this with a disc in, but you'll need a disc
clamp from and old unit to stop the disc from slipping on the turntable.

If I had the unit, at this point I think I would be opening the unit and removing the laser mech and checking the motors and gears as previously posted. A longish No1 point Philips driver is handy for opening up this type of product.

Regards, SJM.
OK, SJM and many thanks for this schedule. I tried all these as follows:
1: Good CD inserted. Read TOC instantly.
2: Damaged CD inserted. Read TOC instantly.
3: Put in good CD. Read TOC. Would not start.
4: This unit has no Remote Control capability.
5: Tried to play CD on all of its Tracks. It selects all from 1 - 11, but played none of them.
6: Used matchstick to fully depress Catch/Switch. No spin. Then tried pushing Catch/Switch inwards in case it actuated sideways. No spin.
7: Appears to be no damage or fracture to Cogs/Gearing. Ran Oil down spindle into motor.
8: Slid Laser Assembly all the way furthest from centre several times. When CD inserted the Step Motor actuated, the Laser moved to the rest/first track position, the TOC read - but still no play....
So there we go. My thanks to all who have contributed so far. This might need more capable hands on it than mine!
Old 7th Jun 2020, 7:38 pm   #30
samjmann
Heptode

Ok Edward, lets think what has been happening:-
The fact that when EVERY disc is inserted it reads OK, means that: It has focussed, it has spun the disc up to speed to read the track data, the sled servo has given the 'in' switch a press, the tracking servo that drives the lens sideways has worked, and the laser is basically OK too. So quite a bit of it is working!

The only thing I can think is that maybe the play 'tact' switch is developing resistance, and the local keyboard is not interpreting the play command correctly. Does the display show 'play' or > or similar after the button is pressed? If not, then this is significant. However if it does, then I'm running out of ideas!!!

Sorry I can't give a definitive answer.

Regards, SJM.
Old 7th Jun 2020, 7:58 pm   #31
Sideband
Dekatron

I would also check the slide bar(s) (some have two) on the laser assembly. These can get sticky and cause read problems. It may return to the beginning OK under full drive from the motor but if it's slightly sticky, there may not be quite enough torque from the motor to overcome the 'micro-jumps' during normal play. A thorough clean and lubricate may resolve the problem. I don't think you need to worry about any of the electronics apart from maybe a tact switch as already suggested.
Old 8th Jun 2020, 9:02 am   #32
percival007
Heptode

I think I've read all these posts but forgive me if I've missed where you said it, but, can I just clarify.....

The Disc reads the T.O.C. every time?
It doesn't ''start''. You mean it doesn't Play. But, does it attempt to when it doesn't start?
I mean, does the Logic recognise the Play Command and the Display change from, for example, giving the Number of Tracks and the Disc length to Displaying the Play icon (a Right facing Triangle of some description or the word PLAY)?
Does the Disc start to Spin and an attempt to read the Disc is made?

Or does it just sit there with no indication the Play Button has been pressed.

Would you be good enough to exactly describe what happens when you press PLAY?

Cheers,

JC
Old 8th Jun 2020, 10:04 am   #33
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

My appreciation to all who have stayed with me thus far....
So I've cleaned the Slidebar with IPA and again dripped Servisol into the Start Control - which is a rounded rocker switch i.e. Start and Stop. Everything does as it should as detailed before, BUT when the Play/Start is depressed, the display does not change from showing the number of tracks/playing time to show PLAY. So thanks to the above, it suggests that the control is not giving its command. Maybe there's a sub-board it sits in that might be cracked? Maybe I've pressed it too many times of late (in repeated testing) and weakened what contacts there may be? Such players are not very service friendly and getting to the underside of that control will not be easy. If this is what the problem really is, then many thanks for narrowing it down for me.
Old 8th Jun 2020, 11:57 am   #34
samjmann
Heptode

I think we're getting there! The lid-close-ToC routine is all automatic, all generated from the lid switch initially. But of course 'play' is down to the user. Pity it didn't come with a remote... If you can get to the board, the chances are it will be the play tact switch that is failing. You could swop it for say pause or some other less used switch. Thinking about it, 'play' probably gets the most use so that's the most likely to fail. As for broken tracks to the switch, it's a possibility, but unless the unit has been subjected to a lot of hard use etc, I'd say that's unlikely.

These units usually aren't too difficult to open up. For the most part there are plug/sockets to enable various sections to be separated easily. As for working on it disassembled but fully operational this might be possible, but somewhat awkward. If you take your time on this, there's every chance you'll find the problem to be on the the control pcb as suggested.

Best regards, SJM.
Old 8th Jun 2020, 1:23 pm   #35
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Many thanks again. If you google a photo of this player (there are many) the Start/Stop switch is the circular control to the right of the LCD. It looks look a Pot but it isn't, so there's no equivalant switch to sub this for. Looks like further dismantling beckons!
Old 8th Jun 2020, 4:07 pm   #36
vidjoman
Dekatron

It looks the same as one my wife had and the play switch stopped working on it as well. It has 4 separate tact switches on the PCB. They are available but you need to know the layout of the tags and also the height of the button on the switch as the round bit on the top is a separate part.
Don’t remember it being a difficult job to do.
Old 9th Jun 2020, 12:35 pm   #37
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

At long last I believe I think I am getting somewhere with this....
I've been able to remove the round cover from the rocker switch and have good access to spray the Servisol from the top to the (barely visible) contact/s below that the rocker switch spigot goes down on to. Well it worked, with both firm pressing down and with a lateral movement, it does make an intermittent contact and Plays.
For those that have stayed with this so far, the momentary screen display does not show either PLAY or a > but a --:--
I'm not quite sure if this a correct command indication or not, but it will start it in a rather, er, unpositive way. I really do need to dismantle it next to see better what's happening down in there.
So was all of this just down to one dodgy contact?!
My thanks to all once again.
Old 10th Jun 2020, 7:44 pm   #38
samjmann
Heptode

Good to read you're making progress. At least you can get it to play! The display indication seems a bit odd, --:-- is usually before play. Then say: 02:12. Meaning track 2 of 12.

That strange document we all never read - the Instruction Leaflet might just tell you what the display should indicate...

There are tact switch's for sale on e-bay for as little as £6 for 200. Assorted sizes.

SJM

Last edited by samjmann; 10th Jun 2020 at 7:46 pm. Reason: Typo error.
Old 10th Jun 2020, 8:49 pm   #39
Sideband
Dekatron

I had to replace two of the tact switches on my Philips CD207 some years back, play and forward. Fortunately I found some of the correct type in a scrap Hi Fi unit at work. They do fail and I'm not sure how they respond to switch cleaner.