UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 31st May 2020, 8:56 am   #1
Radiotoken
Diode

Default Old amplifier, KW-251 from Luxor?

Bought an old amplifier, KW-251 from Luxor. Anyone who knows how old it could be? Has it had any special purpose? Is it possible to get a manual, specifications or what it cost? Want to know as much as possible!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200531_094052.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	207269   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200531_094014.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	207270  
Old 31st May 2020, 12:43 pm   #2
Mullard_Nut_74
Tetrode

Default Re: Old amplifier, KW-251 from Luxor?

Did you by chance buy this on Tradera?

Its hit and miss with old Amplifier equipment.
If you cant find it listed on https://www.radiomuseum.org then chances are nobody has restored one and put up the details yet.

I myself am having trouble with an old AWA amplifier and have even emailed AWA in hope that they have information archived from when they used to build these magnificent units.
Unfortunately all my searching has turned up ZERO except for 2 other AWA amplifier enthusiasts who are also searching for schematics and information.
I attached a PDF of photos of my amp.
If I cant find details it will become a display piece only since all the wax capacitors are now a black lump in the bottom of the unit.
I put a multimeter across the black lump and the reading came up as "Fat chance"
Hope you find the details you are looking for.
If the original manufacturer is still around you might have some luck there.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf AWA Amp Type 1G8241.pdf (1.15 MB, 83 views)
Old 31st May 2020, 2:47 pm   #3
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Can't really age it until we see inside, but I suspect it's from early to mid 1950s. It's a Public Address amplifier so not really suitable for Hi Fi. It will be Mono of course. I would say it's worth very little and it will need a lot of work.
Old 31st May 2020, 10:21 pm   #4
Herald1360
Dekatron

You may be "lucky" and find it has nice valves, a reasonable output transformer and a low impedance loudspeaker output. More likely it'll have a high impedance line output and an undersized output transformer with little LF handling capability. The presence of treble and bass tone controls is a hopeful sign, though.

Don't apply power without checking a few capacitors at least! Helpful hints available here

Do get the top off and let us know what valves are in there....
.........O..Chris....O
Old 31st May 2020, 10:33 pm   #5
Herald1360
Dekatron

Further musings....

Found this:

https://www.tradera.com/item/170609/...view-item-main

With some more informative photos....

It does have speaker as well as line output, a gramophone input and some reasonable looking transformers. But nothing special valve-wise- the output bottles look like telly line output types, possibly EL509. Good for a fair bit of cheap power but not ideal audio types......
.........O..Chris....O
Old 1st Jun 2020, 8:38 am   #6
rontech
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herald1360 View Post
You may be "lucky" and find it has nice valves, a reasonable output transformer and a low impedance loudspeaker output. More likely it'll have a high impedance line output and an undersized output transformer with little LF handling capability. The presence of treble and bass tone controls is a hopeful sign, though.

Don't apply power without checking a few capacitors at least! Helpful hints available here

Do get the top off and let us know what valves are in there....
PA amps are always worth investigating. A Grampian one I was given has very hefty transformers, The output one weighs 2.8 kg 4, 8, 15 ohms and 100v line secondary. The mains transformer is larger still.

GZ32 rectifier, 2 x KT66 output, an ECC82 and a couple of EF86.

Currently re building it with a Williamson inspired circuit . Getting 450 v smoothed HT ( no load ) there are other taps on the secondary available to go higher.

Last edited by rontech; 1st Jun 2020 at 8:43 am.
Closed Thread