UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd May 2020, 7:39 pm   #21
Techman
Dekatron

Default Re: TC8S alternatives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viscount View Post
ive been trying to find output details for the so called high output mag ones but no luck,
I thought I'd seen an actual figure in 'mV' quoted, but having found the particular one that I was looking at a month or two back it just states that " the booster is not required". See specification taken from the advert below:-

Features:
1.The moving magnetic pickup is high output, and the booster is not required.
2.The magnetic head is more accurate and the sound is more pure. Playing rock, popular, jazz and other types of music can make the sound more delicate.
3.The life of the magnetic head is generally 4 times that of ordinary piezoelectric cartridges, better durability.
4.The magnetic head can better control the tone color, make the medium frequency warm and wide, the low frequency is full and flexible, and the high frequency is bright and dry.
5.Wonderful accessory for phonograph, vinyl record player.

Specifications:
Model: needle
Species; Magnetic head, phonograph head (pickup)
Drive mode; electromagnetic
Track number; Dual channel (stereo)

Link to the actual advert - there may be others available:-
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gramophon....c100005.m1851
Old 23rd May 2020, 7:43 pm   #22
Techman
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by John10b View Post
Just checked my notes. I did fit the Chinese Cartridge to Amp with ECL82, it worked ok with acceptable level of volume on both 45s and LPs. I hope that clarifies it, I should have made this clear, sorry for any misunderstanding.
John
Yes, I thought that may have been the case. These cartridges are very good and work well with a two stage amplifier such as the ECL82 etc. type - not so good with a single stage amplifier.
Old 23rd May 2020, 10:14 pm   #23
PJL
Dekatron

After 2 months I just received the LM386 modules I ordered from from china. At the time they cost 0.97p each but the price has more than doubled at the moment. They use just a few mA, work from 5-12V, include a pot to adjust the gain, and have an AC coupled output. A diode and capacitor is all that should be required to 'steal' some volts to power it.
Old 30th May 2020, 10:27 am   #24
Viscount
Heptode

so the cheap chinese cartridge arrived today ,it has the half inch holder which i found fits the tc8 holder,so once fitted it looks period ,(will post pics if anyone wants)volume levels are relly impressive on the SRP31,coupled this with the replacment rectifier all in all a great result
Old 31st May 2020, 12:33 pm   #25
John10b
Nonode

There is another post on these Chinese Cartridges in the “Wanted” section which may prove interesting.
John
Old 31st May 2020, 3:30 pm   #26
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viscount View Post
so the cheap chinese cartridge arrived today ,it has the half inch holder which i found fits the tc8 holder,so once fitted it looks period ,(will post pics if anyone wants)volume levels are relly impressive on the SRP31,coupled this with the replacment rectifier all in all a great result
If your new cartridge came with a 1/2" mounting, why do you also need the original cast metal BSR TC8 holder as this will just add weight. If you want to keep a period look, just use the turnover knob and flag at the font. Evenso, this will still look most odd, as the BUSH SRP31 was never made with a BSR TC8 cartridge? And Yes, a photo might help.
Old 1st Jun 2020, 7:53 am   #27
Viscount
Heptode

i was trying to find a way of fitting the cartridge to the head shell,because the mount has 2 mounting holes so fitting it to the original tc8s mount seemed the best idea,it fits perfectly and looks great,weightwise there is no difference between the weight of thr chinese cart(with mount)and the tc8 cart when both are fitted to the cast unit,as far as the tc8s is concerned it was fitted when i bought the player ,photos to follow
Old 1st Jun 2020, 8:29 am   #28
Viscount
Heptode

just checked the weight of both units complete with mounts etc and the chinese one one is actually lighter than the tc8 version,just over 1 gram is the difference,just about to head out now will post pics later
Closed Thread