UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 24th May 2020, 12:21 pm   #21
ben
Dekatron

Default Re: Ferguson videostar 8922 will not eject

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sxarchie View Post
There is one issue when you press play the tape is moves quite slow looking at the pinch roller it looks shiny & has some cracks if I replace it do you think this would fix it
Cheers
VHS tape moves very slowly, 2.339 cm/s. If the picture is good and no tape damage, there is no reason to replace the roller. You could take it out, noting how it went on, give it a light sanding to remove the shinyness
Old 25th May 2020, 9:46 am   #22
Sxarchie
Triode

I removed the roller gave it a light sanding & it played ok although not the best picture quality,after about 10 minutes the picture became more fuzzy ,I adjusted the tracking a little bit of improvement I think I will give everything a bit more of a clean as the machine had been sitting around for over 15 years, do you think this could be the reason for the quality of the picture or could it be something else
Cheers
Old 25th May 2020, 10:16 am   #23
ben
Dekatron

If the picture started okay then deteriorated, the tape could be shedding oxide, but that's not common with videotape.

Dirt is unlikely to be the cause but you never know, just be extremely careful with the heads.

The only way a pinch roller can affect playback is by skewing the tape - you'd also get muffled sound along with noise bars in the picture. Another symptom is if the sound slows down. This means the roller is not gripping the tape properly.
Old 26th May 2020, 7:59 pm   #24
Sxarchie
Triode

The sound does Gradually slow & quicken so it could be the Pinch roller I will replace it’s not an expensive part plus give it another clean & see what happens
Thanks
Closed Thread