UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 8th May 2021, 6:37 pm   #21
flyingtech55
Octode

Default Re: Fidelity HF22 Suitcase Record Player

Pictures of record player 1 of 3.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1448.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	233580   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1449.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	233581   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1453.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	233582   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1454.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	233583   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1455.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	233584  

Old 8th May 2021, 6:40 pm   #22
flyingtech55
Octode

Pictures of record player 2 of 3.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF1456.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	233585   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1457.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	233586   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1458.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	233587   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1459.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	233588   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1461.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	233589  

Old 8th May 2021, 6:41 pm   #23
flyingtech55
Octode

Pictures of record player 3 of 3.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF1462.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	233590   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1463.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	233591   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1464.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	233592  
Old 8th May 2021, 7:31 pm   #24
john600601
Pentode

Thanks for sharing the photos, OP - I've sent you a PM.
Old 8th May 2021, 7:39 pm   #25
flyingtech55
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidjoman View Post
I think a TC8 was a crystal cartridge not a ceramic as shown in the spec. Suggests that the details are suspicious.

4V does seem an extraordinarily high output for a record player cartridge especially as it's supposed to match into a load impedance of 47K according to the information on the website. I think that information is a bit suspect to say the least.

TimR
Old 8th May 2021, 8:39 pm   #26
julie_m
Dekatron

The problem with modifying the HF22 is, by the time you're done with it, it won't really be a HF22 anymore. You will probably need to modify the tonearm to fit a stereo-friendly cartridge, which in turn probably will require a preamplifier. And then the result might still not be very good; a decent input signal from a good cartridge or a Bluetooth receiver probably will expose the weaknesses of the speaker, which was never going to be expected to handle those bottom and top notes in the first place. You could fit a modern amplifier and full-range speaker, but by now you are well and truly sweeping the decks of the Ship of Theseus with Trigger's Broom.

It's almost better off left the way it was made, as a static exhibit rather than an everyday working piece. Certainly the right collector will pay more for it in that state. A bit sad, but the world has moved on .....
Old 9th May 2021, 12:19 am   #27
flyingtech55
Octode

To be fair, I was just going to fit a Bluetooth module to cash in on the current fad for 're-purposing' everything regardless of the practicality. However, I agree with the jist of what you say and knowing me, rather than sweeping the decks of the Ship of Theseus I'd have probably ended up clinging desperately to the wreckage having driven the poor vessel onto the rocks of misplaced enthusiasm.

As you suggest, a collector who wants it for itself, for its place in history, and as a product of its time will be the ideal custodian.

I thank you all for your thoughts and opinions so freely and generously given.

TimR
Old 9th May 2021, 9:36 am   #28
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

This Thread seems to have reached a satisfactory conclusion. I would just like to add that just about every aspect of the so-called "Specification" of the BSR TC8H as shown under #17 is incorrect and potentially misleading.
Old 9th May 2021, 10:00 am   #29
Station X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Huggins View Post
I would just like to add that just about every aspect of the so-called "Specification" of the BSR TC8H as shown under #17 is incorrect and potentially misleading.
That being the case why not post the correct specification for the benefit of members rather than criticising another forum member's efforts?

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 9th May 2021, 10:01 am   #30
Herald1360
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingtech55 View Post
Quote:
The output will not have been as high as this. The standard measured maximum output of the BSR TC8H/2 was 1.2Volts and the BSR TC8H/1 at 900mV. On certain transients it might have measured slightly higher.

This is the info I got from the website:

https://www.adelcom.net/BSR%20Cartridges.htm

TC8H
TC-8-H TC-8H TC8-H tc8h tc-8-h tc-8h tc8-h
Monaural Ceramic Piezo
  • Cartridge Type: Ceramic Piezo.
  • Stylus Shape: Conical.
  • Stylus Type: Conical 1.0 mil. Diamond for LP & 3.0 mil. Sapphire for RPM. (Flip-Over)
  • Frequency Response: 20 Hz. - 20 kHz.
  • Output Voltage: 4.0 V at 1 kHz, 5 cm/sec.
  • Vertical Tracking Force Range (Grams): 10.0 grams - 12.0 grams.
  • Recommended Load Impedance: 47,000 Ohms.
  • Number of Terminals: 2.
  • Replacement Stylus: N8-7S & N8-7D.
  • OEM Part Numbers: BSR TC8G, TC8R & TC8S.
It does seem very high and may of course be a misprint or just simply wrong. I'd have thought somewhere between 1V and 1.5V (as you suggest) would have been more reasonable.

TimR
https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...33&postcount=3

Is a more likely spec

Edit: How serendipitous was that post cross?
.........O..Chris....O

Last edited by Herald1360; 9th May 2021 at 10:08 am.
Old 9th May 2021, 10:41 am   #31
toshiba tony
Heptode

I had one of these awful things, how could we trust them with our records! It was so boring I put a neon in it, wired across the primary of the output transformer, (my own sound to light unit) it was almost embarrasing carrying it round. I'm not knocking yours in any way by the way. Happy days, 60s, 70s, bring 'em back.
Old 9th May 2021, 12:48 pm   #32
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Station X View Post
Quote:
I would just like to add that just about every aspect of the so-called "Specification" of the BSR TC8H as shown under #17 is incorrect and potentially misleading.
That being the case why not post the correct specification for the benefit of members rather than criticising another forum member's efforts?
My thanks to Graham for this prompt. The much-maligned crystal element BSR TC8H was produced from late 1957 to 1964, the very "powerhouse" behind just so many and varied budget record players with their ubiquitous EL84/UL84 amplifiers. There were two versions, the BSR TC8H/1 in the familiar Orange moulding which gave an output of 800mv@1.2cm/s - and the much rarer TC8H/2 which gave 1.1V@1.2CM/s. I believe this version came in a White/Cream moulding, rather similar in colour ro the BSR TC8S Stereo cartridge. I've never encountered one of these in over 65 years of my faffing about with record players There was also a Black bodied clone produced in Japan and many of these were sold in the US. Today, the TC8H is available brand new as a re-manufacturered "H TC8". It is possible to fit a BSR TC8S stylus to these, but the inherent poor compliance of both the cartridge per se and the metal stylus shank makes this rather, er, pointless. The tracking weight of all these was usually quoted a 6-9 grams. On the TC8H, the treble response dropped off rather sharply at c.8,000 c.p.s - but even so, was far better than a 1960s AM radio could give. That's it for now Folks!
Old 9th May 2021, 2:58 pm   #33
Herald1360
Dekatron

Just noticed..... 4V@5cm/sec in the "dodgy" spec isn't far off the ~1V@1.2cm/sec in the mfr's spec. The 47k load is way off though. Someone had their "magnetic" hat on, perhaps?
.........O..Chris....O
Old 10th May 2021, 6:33 pm   #34
flyingtech55
Octode

Thank you Edward and Graham for this supplementary information. These older cartridges certainly generated quite a signal which I suppose they had to, to be able to drive an EL84 or UL84 directly. However I guess you paid the price in terms of tracking weight and lack of compliance. The amplifier was certainly very simple and minimalist.

On reflection, I should probably have been less trusting of the information in the website and not taken it at face value.

TimR

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Station X View Post
Quote:
My thanks to Graham for this prompt. The much-maligned crystal element BSR TC8H was produced from late 1957 to 1964, the very "powerhouse" behind just so many and varied budget record players with their ubiquitous EL84/UL84 amplifiers. There were two versions, the BSR TC8H/1 in the familiar Orange moulding which gave an output of 800mv@1.2cm/s - and the much rarer TC8H/2 which gave 1.1V@1.2CM/s. I believe this version came in a White/Cream moulding, rather similar in colour ro the BSR TC8S Stereo cartridge. I've never encountered one of these in over 65 years of my faffing about with record players There was also a Black bodied clone produced in Japan and many of these were sold in the US. Today, the TC8H is available brand new as a re-manufacturered "H TC8". It is possible to fit a BSR TC8S stylus to these, but the inherent poor compliance of both the cartridge per se and the metal stylus shank makes this rather, er, pointless. The tracking weight of all these was usually quoted a 6-9 grams. On the TC8H, the treble response dropped off rather sharply at c.8,000 c.p.s - but even so, was far better than a 1960s AM radio could give. That's it for now Folks!
Old 10th May 2021, 7:19 pm   #35
flyingtech55
Octode

Hi Tony

I know what you're saying, but they were what they were, they were pretty affordable and they gave youngsters a record player to play their 'pop music' on without using their parents Hacker Gondolier or Pye Black Box (insert other quality, heavy and expensive models of your choice). They sold in their thousands and provided good service to their young owners.

Best regards

TimR

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiba tony View Post
I had one of these awful things, how could we trust them with our records! It was so boring I put a neon in it, wired across the primary of the output transformer, (my own sound to light unit) it was almost embarrasing carrying it round. I'm not knocking yours in any way by the way. Happy days, 60s, 70s, bring 'em back.
Old 10th May 2021, 7:50 pm   #36
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

On a point of detail, you describe your HF22 as a "Suitacase" record player. The models like yours were actually described as "Vanity Case" players to differentiate them and because they looked like, er, Vanity Cases - and so sold very well to Teenage Girls. They were very light to carry and just looked the part.
Old 10th May 2021, 10:54 pm   #37
flyingtech55
Octode

Edward

You are of course quite correct...my mistake. I don't really know much about either Vanity Cases or teenaged girls. However, I believe the particular Fidelity record player which is the subject of this topic was in fact originally owned by a teenaged girl back in the sixties.

TimR

Quote:
On a point of detail, you describe your HF22 as a "Suitacase" record player. The models like yours were actually described as "Vanity Case" players to differentiate them and because they looked like, er, Vanity Cases - and so sold very well to Teenage Girls. They were very light to carry and just looked the part.