UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Apr 2021, 12:44 am   #41
Techman
Dekatron

Default Re: Crompton 60W bulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatercathodeshort View Post
The two prong fireglow lamps are pre war Berry's magicoal.
I had a good working one of these that I removed from an old electric fire at home when I was a youngster. I remember the fire being used and then I remember pulling it to bits and retrieving the orange two pin lamp. I think that the fire was taken out of use for a failed element. I remember the firework displays when they failed back then and the blob of melted wire that I seem to remember on the former of that particular fire element - I don't remember what happened to the lamp in the end, but I don't seem to have it now.

I used to have 60 watt orange lamps that were in a couple of wall lights in the house I used to live in over 20 years ago - they were still there and working when I moved, probably long gone by now!

However, seeing these orange and pink looking lamps seems to be ringing bells with me, so I need to have a look next time I'm in the loft to see what I can find - you never know!
Old 28th Apr 2021, 1:58 am   #42
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

There were red or orange night lights in my boarding school dormitory.
Old 28th Apr 2021, 6:49 am   #43
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

I remember those from a bed warmer we had when I was a kid, the warmer was made of pressed sheet metal in a bar of soap type shape, my Mum slipped it under the sheets before I got in bed. This'd be early 70's before central heating.

Andy.
Old 28th Apr 2021, 10:25 am   #44
Refugee
Dekatron

I have got a pink bulb in storage and can remember testing it with a multimeter last time I spotted it.
Old 28th Apr 2021, 3:13 pm   #45
electronicskip
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Station X View Post
Some lamps were specified as being "fire lamps" I remember Woolworths selling them in the early 1970's.

"Magicoal" seems to ring a bell regarding the electric fires they were used in.
We sold a lot of fireglow bulbs at the shop in various sizes and wattages , including multi coloured 15w Pygmy bulbs .
No particular dedicated use.
Old 28th Apr 2021, 6:04 pm   #46
broadgage
Nonode

Because orange or amber fireglow lamps were used in electric fires, there arose a widespread and erroneous belief that such lamps were "more warming" than other colours .
Use in electric bed warmers as described a few posts back was very common, when in fact a standard clear or pearl lamp would have worked just as well and been cheaper.

Red or orange lamps of low power were widely used as nightlights in school dormitories and similar places, minimum sleep disturbance but enough light to safely walk around if need be.
Old 28th Apr 2021, 6:35 pm   #47
duncanlowe
Nonode

I hope this isn't drifting too far OT, but the mention of woolies in regards to lamps takes me back. I looked after the light fitting displays. On display, fittings were always equipped with 15W bulbs to avoid the big electricity bill from so many being in use. But the life was noticeably rubbish, so I was forever replacing them. Now I know we would have only been paying 'cost to the store' as they were treated as shrinkage. But I wonder if the significantly longer life of say 40W would actually have been cheaper? Might even have saved a bit of money on other heating for the store?
Old 28th Apr 2021, 7:54 pm   #48
kellymarie
Pentode

My modern electric fire in the lounge has a white candle bulb which lights up a red faux coal and log effect the flame effect us done by an electric motor driving the wheel round
Old 29th Apr 2021, 12:16 am   #49
broadgage
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncanlowe View Post
I hope this isn't drifting too far OT, but the mention of woolies in regards to lamps takes me back. I looked after the light fitting displays. On display, fittings were always equipped with 15W bulbs to avoid the big electricity bill from so many being in use. But the life was noticeably rubbish, so I was forever replacing them. Now I know we would have only been paying 'cost to the store' as they were treated as shrinkage. But I wonder if the significantly longer life of say 40W would actually have been cheaper? Might even have saved a bit of money on other heating for the store?
Use of a 15 watt bulb instead of a 40 watt bulb is of course saving 25 watts, or over 1000 hours is saving 25 KWH.

5 pence a unit was about the going rate for many years, so saving 25 KWH was saving about £1.25 in 1000 hours.
The lamps were probably about 10 pence each, cost price, not retail.
The electricity cost therefore exceeds the lamp cost.

And remember that the 15 watt lamps might well have lasted their 1000 hours.
If 100 lamps are lit for 12 hours a day, then at least half a dozen failures each week are to be expected.
Old 29th Apr 2021, 8:01 am   #50
steve102
Pentode

These bulbs are still available from https://www.lampwise.co.uk/crompton-...ight-bulb.html
I use one in my HMV fan heater instead of fireflow bulbs which tend to shed their red coating when warmed up.
Old 2nd May 2021, 12:16 pm   #51
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diabolical Artificer View Post
I remember those from a bed warmer we had when I was a kid, the warmer was made of pressed sheet metal in a bar of soap type shape, my Mum slipped it under the sheets before I got in bed. This'd be early 70's before central heating.

Andy.
Believe it or not I used to sell them! Belling bed warmer . 'Only use 40W rough service lamp'
Sold them to elderly ladies that didn't like the idea of being fried alive by an electric blanket. The Belling was of course removed before retiring.
Maybe it also reminded them of the ancient version that was filled with hot coals! John.
Old 2nd May 2021, 12:46 pm   #52
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Thinking about it the coloured lacquered fireglow lamp was probably one of the most widely used coloured lamps of the electric fire era, namely the 1950s and 60s.

I pulled this Belling 'Adam' fire, Cat No 743B off the tip many years ago. I believe it's quite a late example of a much older design that remained unchanged for decades.
It still gets used from time to time just to take the cold air off the room.
2 X 60W lamps are used, the heat of which creates a warm air flow that turns the deflector wheels. The patterned glass completes the effect. J.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210502_121911.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	233069   Click image for larger version

Name:	Belling (1).jpg
Views:	153
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	233070   Click image for larger version

Name:	Belling (2).jpg
Views:	155
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	233071  
Old 26th May 2021, 1:42 am   #53
majoconz
Heptode

Quote:
Submarines and indeed surface ships do use red lighting at night, in order to preserve night vision.
...and on our minesweeper way back in the 60'/70's when I was in the RNVR.
Old 26th May 2021, 8:18 pm   #54
agardiner
Octode

On Air light?
Old 26th May 2021, 10:22 pm   #55
kirstyd
Heptode

My gran used to work as a cleaner at the local ODEON she would bring coloured bulbs like this home .Would they have been used in the concealed lighting perhaps and possibly used with dimmers ? .Some of the bulbs had three prongs on them instead of the usual two
Old 26th May 2021, 11:40 pm   #56
broadgage
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirstyd View Post
My gran used to work as a cleaner at the local ODEON she would bring coloured bulbs like this home .Would they have been used in the concealed lighting perhaps and possibly used with dimmers ? .Some of the bulbs had three prongs on them instead of the usual two
Yes quite possibly, cinemas used to have an array of coloured lamps decorating features both in the auditorium and in external signage.

It was common practice to replace all these lamps, working or not, either after a set time, or when a certain percentage had failed.
The used but still working lamps would likely have been a staff perk.

3 pin bayonet caps were used for various special purpose lamps, including 75 volts (railway trains), 160 volt, 80 watt (ballast lamps in series with fluorescent tubes), smaller mercury vapour lamps (shop window lighting), and twin filament lamps (railway signals, operating theatres)

Don't think that I have ever seen a coloured but otherwise standard lamp with a 3 pin cap.
Closed Thread