UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Computers

Notices

Vintage Computers Any vintage computer systems, calculators, video games etc., but with an emphasis on 1980s and earlier equipment.

Old 8th May 2021, 2:59 pm   #1
Keith956
Hexode

Default Win98 startup disk

I am trying to re-install Win98 of an ancient Toshiba Satellite Pro 420, it has a CDROM drive but the OS on disk is corrupted. I have a Win98 CD but the PC bios only allows booting from floppy or hard disk.

The solution in:

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads...20cdt.1125719/

would appear to be a way of booting it, but I don't have the Win98 startup disk or format s/w. Has anyone the ability to create one for me as per the info in the link? I can send a floppy and cover postage if so?
Keith956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2021, 6:06 pm   #2
yesnaby
Octode

Default Re: Win98 startup disk

I've got an original Windows 98 SE boot disk, I could copy it onto another floppy disk which I also have, no need for payment or postage etc. Just PM your address.
yesnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2021, 4:38 am   #3
ortek_service
Heptode

You can download an image file of it from here:
https://archive.org/details/floppyso...?query=98&sin=

- Assuming you do have a floppy drive attached to a working PC, and a spare 3.5" 1.44MB disk to be able to use Rawrite / RawWrite for generating the disk.

If you do have any PC that can boot into DOS / Win9x as far as getting to a command prompt (Possibly if your existing Win98 installation will get that far by holding down F8 etc and choosing that), then you can use Format a: /s ( or Sys A: ) to initialise boot-sector and transfer the mostly-hidden system files to the required areas create a blank boot-disk.
However you will then need to copy the relevant CD-ROM driver files etc. to this (can be done on any PC, irrespective of version of Windows it has, as long as it as a floppy drive)

If you have any MS-DOS (6.22 etc) Boot disk, with CD-ROM drivers on disk, then you can probably boot from that, to be able to access the Win98 CD-ROM and run its setup.

Last edited by ortek_service; 9th May 2021 at 5:07 am.
ortek_service is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2021, 3:35 pm   #4
yesnaby
Octode

Disk now on its way to Keith.
yesnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2021, 5:02 pm   #5
Keith956
Hexode

Thank you!
Keith956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2021, 5:24 pm   #6
Oldcodger
Octode

Bit late in the day ,but I believe you need a copy of MSCDEX which I've seen on net. Also available (from net) is a copy of the WIN98 startup disc which lets you run startup files for win98.
Oldcodger is offline   Reply With Quote