UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 8th May 2021, 10:29 am   #1
hayerjoe
Hexode

Default BSR TC4 cartridge specs?

Hi everyone

I'm having problems tracing any specs about the BSR TC4 cartridge, can anyone help? I'm particularly after the output mV

I know it's a heavy unloved cartridge and indeed I am replacing it, but it was fitted as a retrofit (around 1954!) to my 1940s radiogram, and interestingly between the tonearm and the amp an extra potentiometer was added that allowed the output to be modified. I guess this was part of the retrofit kit so you could modify the cart to suits your amplifier (see photo). I put my new cartridge in and even with this potentiometer turned right up volume was a bit low, so I totally bypassed it and volume is great now, so just got me thinking that TC4 must have had a very high output if it needed such a reduction

Hope someone can help with specs

thanks
Joe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3076.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	233522  
Old 8th May 2021, 1:29 pm   #2
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: BSR TC4 cartridge specs?

Yes, it does have a high output of c.550mV. Don't attempt to play any Stereo LPs on it though! Production of these by BSR started around 1952.
Old 8th May 2021, 6:39 pm   #3
John10b
Nonode

Take a look at the Sticky on cartridges, there is some information within:-

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=119339

John
Old 8th May 2021, 6:41 pm   #4
John10b
Nonode

I should have said with thanks to Ben who started the sticky.
John
Old 8th May 2021, 6:59 pm   #5
simpsons
Octode

Joe, it has taken some "off the wall" searching and hopefully what I have found will trigger the memory of others.

The BSR TC4 was used in the Dansette Bermuda record player circa 1960.

The TC4, which plays only mono recorded records, was designed to be used both in single output valve mono record players. Valves such as UL42, EL42 UL84 and EL84.

The BSR TC8H series of cartridges replaced it and a full description of this and other cartridges can be found as a sticky thread above this section titled "Ceramic and crystal cartridge specs." The Dansette record player is also a topic on this site.

Because it was a high output cartridge, the output would need to be reduced when used in a amplifier of higher gain, hence the added volume control and vintage resistor in series with the cartridge.

I am unfamiliar with 1940's radiograms and so it would be interesting to see what valves are used in yours.

Hope this helps

Chris
Old 8th May 2021, 11:12 pm   #6
ben
Dekatron

Interesting thread. I will have to update the sticky at some point with some new data, but glad you find it useful!
Old 9th May 2021, 3:55 am   #7
hayerjoe
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Huggins View Post
Yes, it does have a high output of c.550mV. Don't attempt to play any Stereo LPs on it though! Production of these by BSR started around 1952.
Thanks Edward, I'm loving the heft and simplicity of the GU4 deck but have already replaced the TC4 cartridge with one of those Banpa flip-under cartridges, seems to work well. See photo. I design and print the cartridge clip with a 3D printer (highly recommended tool for radiogram restorations) and behind the Banpa cart you can see my attempt at providing some tracking weight adjustment via a threaded bar and some nuts sticking out of my clip
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_3086.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	233621  
Old 9th May 2021, 3:56 am   #8
hayerjoe
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by John10b View Post
I should have said with thanks to Ben who started the sticky.
John
thanks, Ben's list is my goto PDF, but it was missing the TC4 values (as was the entire internet?!)
Old 9th May 2021, 7:54 am   #9
hayerjoe
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpsons View Post
Joe, it has taken some "off the wall" searching and hopefully what I have found will trigger the memory of others.

The TC4, which plays only mono recorded records, was designed to be used both in single output valve mono record players. Valves such as UL42, EL42 UL84 and EL84.

The BSR TC8H series of cartridges replaced it and a full description of this and other cartridges can be found as a sticky thread above this section titled "Ceramic and crystal cartridge specs." The Dansette record player is also a topic on this site.

Because it was a high output cartridge, the output would need to be reduced when used in a amplifier of higher gain, hence the added volume control and vintage resistor in series with the cartridge.

I am unfamiliar with 1940's radiograms and so it would be interesting to see what valves are used in yours.

Hope this helps

Chris
Thanks Chris very helpful, and what monsters resistors were in those days, certainly explains why portables of the day required serious muscles!

I found it strange that the pot even at max didnt pass thru 100% of the signal. As I said i totally bypassed it and the resister and volume is much much better.

My radiogram (see photo, lid not yet on) uses 6X5GT, 6V6G, 6S07,ECH85, 6U7G valves

In a bizarre coincidence I was watching James May's "Reassembler" program last night and he was assembling a Dansette Bermuda from scratch. It didnt use the TC4 though, but perhaps the TC8?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_3092.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	233622  

Last edited by hayerjoe; 9th May 2021 at 8:05 am. Reason: typo
Old 9th May 2021, 9:08 am   #10
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpsons View Post

Hope this helps

Chris
This might cause some confusion. The BSR TC4 was never used in the Dansette "Bermuda". Production of this cartridge ended in early 1955, possibly earlier.
Old 9th May 2021, 9:53 am   #11
Ekcoman
Heptode

Dansette did use in their early models. My old Dansette Minor has one and still works well BUT definitely not for your precious discs. I've dated this model about 1954.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Dansette Minor (b).jpg
Views:	62
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	233623