UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Websites

Notices

Websites Found an interesting website? Post the details here and share it with the rest of us. Please stick to websites that are in some way related to our hobby/interest.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Apr 2021, 6:39 pm   #1
chriswood1900
Octode

Default Sony in the 1960s Archive film

Another interesting historical item posted by the Computer History archives Project of:
Vintage Sony manufacturing plants in Tokyo Japan late 1960's early 1970's. Historical footage adapted from original Sony promotional film. Snapshots of early products, plus Trinitron TV, Video Cassette Recorder, Video Tape Recorder, Semiconductors, and more.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIZ8pYL1B0M
Old 22nd Apr 2021, 8:53 am   #2
Andrew2
Nonode

Default Re: Sony in the 1960s Archive film

This may have come up before, but thanks for the reminder. Sony certainly had style, didn't they? You can see it even in the early exterior shots of the building. Lovely clean, tidy design everywhere.
Old 22nd Apr 2021, 9:29 am   #3
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

Founded by Akio Morita just after WWII, when Japan was on its knees. He called it Sony because of the potential stigma of using a Japanese name internationally. He was clearly thinking ahead, and had ambition right from the get go.

He was still very much at the helm when that video was taken. That he took it from a garden shed to what you see in that link in around 20-25 years is amazing.

We had the first Trinitron set back in the very early '70s. At that time I worked on a Saturday in Windows hifi store in Newcastle, and a massive perk is that even a Saturday oik like me could buy anything at cost price. The picture quality of that set was a real revelation.

The Japanese equivalent of HP and Tektronix, who both started the same way and became major instrument manufacturers in 15-20 years.

Craig
Old 22nd Apr 2021, 12:33 pm   #4
ms660
Dekatron

I met Mr Sony at my work bench, nice man.

Lawrence.
Old 22nd Apr 2021, 12:45 pm   #5
chriswood1900
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Sawyers View Post
The Japanese equivalent of HP and Tektronix, who both started the same way and became major instrument manufacturers in 15-20 years.
Craig
I agree Craig, there was very much an paternal and moral ethos in those companies which now seems to be lost in modern large businesses.
It was also interesting to note the use of Tek instruments on the production lines in some shots. At a later date there was compact range of Sony/Tektronix test equipment which I understand the development of went very well according to Tek people who were there at the time.
Old 22nd Apr 2021, 5:52 pm   #6
Restoration73
Nonode

I think we had this as a BVWS DVD. The radio assembly line is I think ICF 6800 W, also
this one (I got one from a rally for £1 - working)
https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/sony_tfm_8030l.html
Old 22nd Apr 2021, 7:36 pm   #7
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriswood1900 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Sawyers View Post
Craig
I agree Craig, there was very much an paternal and moral ethos in those companies which now seems to be lost in modern large businesses.
It was also interesting to note the use of Tek instruments on the production lines in some shots. At a later date there was compact range of Sony/Tektronix test equipment which I understand the development of went very well according to Tek people who were there at the time.
Indeed there was strong collaboration between Sony and Tek. A number of landmark instrument came out of that, some of them surprisingly early.

The HP4470B transistor noise analyzer from 1968 was the result of Tek/Sony collaboration. The performance is hard to beat even now. All discrete (well actually two or three opamps too - very early ones in non-critical places), even down to the RTL logic, that occupied three large boards. That decoded front panel switch positions into signals that operated signal relays in the analogue processing chain.

Craig
Closed Thread