UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Mar 2021, 1:51 pm   #1
Michael Maurice

Default Cleaning a Murphy radio

I have taken delivery of an old Murphy A188 radio.

It is very very dirty, looks like it might have been stored in a barn.

I've hovered out most of the dirt but really it looks like it might benefit from being cleaned in a bath or dishwasher.

I will remove the valves before doing so.

Before I do that, would someone like to offer some advice.

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 12th Mar 2021, 3:24 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Cleaning a Murphy radio

I would start by wiping down all the surfaces with white spirit or turps substitute. Watch out for active woodworm.
Old 12th Mar 2021, 4:02 pm   #3
vidjoman
Dekatron

I often clean chassis using Flash liquid diluted to about 25% then use a spray bottle to get the liquid over most of the surface and components. I block up any holes into transformers with Blu-Tack and any other parts which I don't want to get wet. Spray and then rub with a stiffish paint brush and rinse off with plain warm water. This can be under the tap or poured from a jug, whichever is most convenient. I then give it a wipe over with a tea towel and finally a blow dry with a cold hair dryer or heat gun. The dryer will often dislodge water that's got under components. Then I leave it for a couple of days in the conservatory where the sun will give it a final dry. Only thing it won't remove is hardened wax but that is easily scraped off with a blade.
Old 12th Mar 2021, 4:43 pm   #4
Silicon
Nonode

For some reason several cleaning liquids contain salt.

You don't want that lingering in IF transformers and other inaccessible places.
Old 12th Mar 2021, 7:56 pm   #5
vidjoman
Dekatron

There’s no need to soak with too much Flash as it works well. Obviously use with care and you won’t get it in the wrong places.
Old 12th Mar 2021, 10:17 pm   #6
Michael Maurice

I'll wash it in warm water with a bit of foam cleanser to start with, then some flash and use a toothbrush on it. Then I'll warm it in the oven for a couple of hours at say 50 degrees C, or is that too high?

Old 12th Mar 2021, 11:10 pm   #7
vidjoman
Dekatron

Probably a bit too hot. I've only dried amplifier chassis with cold air blowing on them to blow any visible water off and then leave to dry naturally. Perhaps up to 30 Degrees might be ok.
Old 13th Mar 2021, 4:43 pm   #8
PJL
Dekatron

I use GT85 which is for bike cleaning and available from Halfords or similar. Tweezers and loo roll, spray with GT85 and it lifts dust, dirt and grease off, and is a water repellent helping protect from corrosion.
Old 13th Mar 2021, 6:18 pm   #9
Michael Maurice

I've cleaned the power supply and audio output chassis using water, foam cleanser, and a bit of Mr Muscle, but I've left the main radio chassis as I could clean it up with a good brush and didn't want to upset the tuning capacitor, IF coils and and the paxolin wafer switches which carry HT.

I will put switch cleaner on the switches and then leave it before powering up, although I wont be powering it up until I've rebuilt it anyway.

Closed Thread