UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Jan 2022, 6:25 pm   #1
Damo666
Hexode

Default Best method for Vacuum Fluorescent Display longevity

I recently purchased a Yaesu FT-950 which was in production circa 10 years ago.

I was under the impression that the display was LCD as per the vast majority of HF rigs from this era, but upon arrival, I've since found it uses a Vacuum Fluorescent Display.

I recall these types of display being ubiquitous in 70s, 80s, and some 90s gear (Alarm clock radio, VCR, etc'..), and remember seeing some fade dramatically over time.

Can anybody in the know please advise on the best method for longevity of my display? IE - should I run it at full brightness via the menu, or is it best to have it set dimly? Any other tips for longevity?

I honestly thought VFD's were obsolete, & wouldn't have bought it had I known about the display.
Old 23rd Jan 2022, 6:48 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Best method for Vacuum Fluorescent Display longevity

VFDs look nicer than LEDs though

The life will depend on hours used. Failures have mostly been on displays which function as clocks so are on constantly for years and years. Presumably this won't be the case with an amateur transceiver.
Old 23rd Jan 2022, 10:54 pm   #3
Sideband
Dekatron

Very often, I found the ones that had faded was not always the VFD itself but the 'HT' supply. Some of these ran with a (typically) -30V supply and capacitors used to fail, reducing the voltage. I remember a Panansonic machine where the display was all but invisible. Changed a couple of electrolytics in the DC converter and the display looked like new.
Old 24th Jan 2022, 4:00 pm   #4
Damo666
Hexode

Thank you for the replies, guys.

As the option is available to be via the menu system, would you say the best option would be to set the display dimmer as opposed to bright?

I say this, as I would imagine it would be less strain on the inverter stage unless I'm mistaken.
Old 24th Jan 2022, 4:11 pm   #5
paulsherwin

I imagine you are correct, though total hours illuminated is likely to be a bigger factor. They will survive many thousands of hours of use. I have a number of items of 1980s hifi equipment with VFDs and none have gone dim. I did have a Philips VCR where the VFD failed, but that turned out to be a PSU problem rather than the VFD itself.
Old 24th Jan 2022, 6:36 pm   #6
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Pragmatically, I wouldn't fret about it; Though Futaba are no longer making new VFDs I would bet that if you're only using your radio for 4 or 5 hours a day it will probably still be working OK when you're explaining the idea of HF DX to St. Peter.
Old 26th Jan 2022, 1:56 am   #7
Damo666
Hexode

Many thanks for the replies.

Based on what has been said here & on the information read elsewhere, I'll just use it as normal & stop treating it like a baby.
Closed Thread