UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Aug 2009, 12:23 pm   #1
andyw25
Pentode

Default Philips Turntable

Hi, ive just found a Philips Automatic Turntable, says Type AK 591 on back (only identifying marks i could find), but i cannot find a power supply for it, it has a power cable coming from it but has the round pin on the end for a transformer or something, says 12v on the back of the player, i cannot find a 12v transformer with input for this so can i just use a normal 12v transformer from something else and splice it onto the existing cable on the turntable ?
Old 19th Aug 2009, 12:40 pm   #2
julie_m
Dekatron

Default Re: Philips Turntable

Well, you'd have to know whether it was 12V AC or DC; and if it was DC, which polarity the appliance was expecting and whether it was 12V regulated or unregulated.

Can we have some pictures of the inside?
Old 20th Aug 2009, 12:42 am   #3
ben
Dekatron

This is almost certainly part of a mini system or similar - very common in the late 80s- early 90s. in my experience the motors used in these record decks were 12v DC. if in doubt open it up and check the internal wiring and motor terminals.
Old 22nd Aug 2009, 3:08 pm   #4
andyw25
Pentode

Hi, i managed to locate the turntables original hifi unit but the turntable is brocken, the turntable spins backwards so im gonna invest in a new turntable, Many Thanks for the help.
Old 23rd Aug 2009, 10:18 am   #5
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

Are you running the T/T from an external power supply? If so, it sounds as though the polarity's wrong. Try reversing the connections, and it should run the right way!
Old 23rd Aug 2009, 12:05 pm   #6
paolo
Heptode

I thought exactly the same thing but was too shy to say so
Closed Thread