UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Sep 2021, 2:40 pm   #1
stevie23
Pentode

Default Collaro studio deck - noisy mechanism

Hi again. I've got a Magnavox Tm800 on me bench. It has a Collaro Studio deck (piano keys) and upon playing at any speed, the flywheel/idler combination makes a really bad racket. Anyone had this issue? Should the idler wheel have a rubber tyre? Because there is no tyre on this one... Its just metal on metal.
Old 20th Sep 2021, 3:11 pm   #2
barrymagrec
Octode

Default Re: Collaro studio deck - noisy mechanism

And there`s your problem diagnosed. Metal on metal idler systems would never work, the idler should have a rubber tyre moulded on. It may be pretty hard by now though, I`ve just looked at mine and the rubber is like a rock.
Old 21st Sep 2021, 9:01 am   #3
stevie23
Pentode

Quote:
Metal on metal idler systems would never work, the idler should have a rubber tyre moulded on.
Thanks Barry. Well now I know. There must have been at tyre at one time then. There isnt one there now though. It must have been taken off or its just disintegrated. What can I do for a replacement? Source a complete idler from somewhere?
Old 21st Sep 2021, 9:32 am   #4
barrymagrec
Octode

I have no idea about spares specifically for the Studio but Collaro made a great many more turntables than tapedecks, it`s possible that an idler for a turntable would be the same.
Old 21st Sep 2021, 11:08 am   #5
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Is there a PT number stamped into the idler face ?

David
Old 21st Sep 2021, 8:39 pm   #6
Half a Mullard
Hexode

I believe this is a Collaro studio deck but apologies if I've got it wrong. It's a bit grubby from being in the loft. The idler is fairly hard but I've not tried it running. The only numbers I can see stamped on it look to be a 1 and 02.

I agree about the record decks, I'm sure I had an old Collaro deck and from memory the idler looked the same. That could be a good way to go as they may be more common.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1110141.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	241876   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1110144.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	241877   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1110145.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	241878  
Old 22nd Sep 2021, 7:57 am   #7
stevie23
Pentode

Howard, yours looks like a studio deck but has rubber idlers. The one I am working on has a metal idler (this is the wheel that connects between motor and flywheel/capstan.)

Barry, I'm not sure about record decks having similar idlers but i wouldn't have thought so...

David, I'm not on site again till next Monday now so I'll get some pictures then.
Cheers guys.
Old 22nd Sep 2021, 12:19 pm   #8
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Difficult to tell from the photos but sometimes on rubber tyred idlers the rubber covering can extend over the complete metal base idler wheel (i.e. not always a rubber tyre just around the outer circumference of the metal idler wheel) so then from quick glance can look like an all rubber idler.

David
Old 22nd Sep 2021, 2:10 pm   #9
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

The quite large and heavy flywheel on these decks do have a tendency to give a "ringing" sound when running.
Old 23rd Sep 2021, 8:56 am   #10
stevie23
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Huggins View Post
The quite large and heavy flywheel on these decks do have a tendency to give a "ringing" sound when running.
Yeah, but not "KRRGRSHING!!KLGLKLGKLGKLGKLG........" lol. Its quite loud and even though sound of the tape recorder proper will probably be dubbed on the film crews don't like these things apparently.
Old 23rd Sep 2021, 9:07 am   #11
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

If it's just being used as a prop, then a suitably wide elastic band round the idler rim will make the thng run close enough to the right speed without deafening the little darlings...
Old 23rd Sep 2021, 12:36 pm   #12
stevie23
Pentode

Quote:
a suitably wide elastic band round the idler rim
Yes I was thinking that too. Its a good idea. I'll try it when I'm in next week.
Old 24th Sep 2021, 8:51 pm   #13
Analogue man
Hexode

Certainly the idler on the earlier Collaro tape decks was the same as the turntables and so this may well be too.
Closed Thread