UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Dec 2021, 2:54 pm   #1
Vince2001
Diode

Default Philips 1700 VCR

Hi, I am new to this site and have joined although I know nothing about electronics. I have a Philips 1700 which I brought in 1978 I had it just over a year and it suddenly stopped working. When I pressed the on bar it would turn on then immediately turn off again this happened both when the tape was in the machine and when it wasn't. because I couldn't afford to have it repaired I put it in the loft now 43 years later I have brought it back down but of cause it still does the same thing. Can any one tell me if there is an easy fix to this problem as I would like to see what I have on the dozen tapes that I have.
Old 2nd Dec 2021, 11:22 am   #2
Snarf81
Heptode

Default Re: Philips 1700 VCR

Hi,
First thing to check on these vcrs are the belts. They're accessable through the bottom of the vcr. There is a square plastic cover which has two screws and a locating lug. Take that off, flip down the power board and the belts will be visible.
The head motor belt, if melted/broken/stretched will cause the machine to shut off as without the head spinning properly it goes into a kind of safe mode.

Hope this helps.

When ordering a new belt kit DO NOT buy them from a company called MFBfreaks, their stock is old and the rubber is already perished, plus the belts from them are far too thin (I've had some bad experiences with them!!)

Good luck

Last edited by Snarf81; 2nd Dec 2021 at 11:29 am. Reason: Info added.
Old 3rd Dec 2021, 6:41 am   #3
Vince2001
Diode

Thank you for your suggestion I will have a go at it this weekend
Old 3rd Dec 2021, 11:05 am   #4
Vince2001
Diode

Hi, thanks for the great reply I have had a look at the belts and the Head belt and the Capsten belt were both broken so I will order some and hopefully it will do the job.

Regards
Vince
Old 3rd Dec 2021, 11:31 am   #5
TIMTAPE
Octode

Obviously the belts need replacement but it seems unlikely the belts would have failed only a year after you bought the machine. It was probably something else at fault all those year ago but as Snarf says, the belts need replacement now.
Old 3rd Dec 2021, 11:33 am   #6
paulsherwin

Please see this thread explaining how to attach images to posts: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=77650
Old 3rd Dec 2021, 1:30 pm   #7
Vince2001
Diode

Thank you for that information. Here are the photos of the belts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1300.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	247194   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1303 2.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	247195   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1306.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	247196  
Old 8th Dec 2021, 2:59 pm   #8
Vince2001
Diode

Hi. Well I have fitted the new belts and the machine comes on and stays on which is a big plus as it hasn't done that in 43 years. However when I put the tape in it doesn't play, I can hear the head spinning but the tape doesn't move. After around 30 seconds the unit turns itself off and just before it stops the tape moves a very little bit. Also, and I don't know if this is important but the fast forward and rewind buttons don't depress. Any thoughts as to what I'm doing wrong?
Old 8th Dec 2021, 6:44 pm   #9
Snarf81
Heptode

How many belts did you replace? All 4?
The loading system might need to be cleaned and the worm gear on the loading motor might need new molykote grease.

Also there are some metal sliding arms under the flip up servo board (to the right of the video head and transport) which might need cleaning and lubricating. You can trick the vcr into thinking a cassette is in by removing the cassette basket and moving a flat lever on the bottom right (iirc), then you'll see if the loading process is being completed or not.
Old 9th Dec 2021, 9:29 am   #10
Vince2001
Diode

I replaced the Capsten and head belts the other two seamed good the belts came from the German company on eBay 25 euro and the seem to fit well.i have some 3 in 1 professional lubricant will that be ok for the sliding arms?
Old 9th Dec 2021, 3:01 pm   #11
Snarf81
Heptode

3 in 1 is fine, but use it very sparingly and wipe off all excess as you don't want to get it on any part of the tape path and pinch roller.
Closed Thread