UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Jan 2022, 5:09 pm   #1
stevehertz
Dekatron

Default You photoshop experts

This scan of two tuning scale dials are reversed in preparation for printing on to clear sticker paper. However, a test print onto paper shows that the yellow cast (as result of the original scale having yellowed with age) is causing a problem. Basically I want a 'clean' black and 'clear' scan that I can print from. I've tried to remove the yellow cast using contrast and brightness but you can only do so much before the lettering itself starts to get affected. If I send the scan to someone who is adept at Photoshop, could they remove the yellow cast so that it prints just the black lettering please? Cheers.

NB, the image below is a screen grab (not the original hi res scan) for reference only.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-01-22 at 16.08.06.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	250203  
Old 22nd Jan 2022, 5:36 pm   #2
emeritus
Dekatron

Default Re: You photoshop experts

For this sort of thing, I use the "line art" option of my Epson scanner that produces pure black and white images directly.

On my Win 98 and XP computers, it is possible to change the attributes of an image file from colour to monochrome, thereby removing the colour information. 1 bit monochrome is an option.

Last edited by emeritus; 22nd Jan 2022 at 5:47 pm. Reason: typos
Old 22nd Jan 2022, 5:48 pm   #3
paulsherwin

Can you just convert to monochrome, then increase the brightness and contrast to lose the light grey background? I don't use Photoshop so can't give detailed instructions.
Old 22nd Jan 2022, 6:21 pm   #4
Panrock
Nonode

Something like this?

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dial1.gif
Views:	172
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	250211  
Old 22nd Jan 2022, 6:52 pm   #5
bluepilot
Heptode

Personally I use GIMP. One way of doing it would be to select the colors>levels option. Then select the black dropper and click on what should be black then select the white dropper and click on what should be white.
You can also just convert the image to black and white by adjusting the corresponding threshold. You need a high res image for that or the edges can be a bit ragged.

The golden age is always yesterday - Asa Briggs
Old 22nd Jan 2022, 6:54 pm   #6
paulsherwin

Exactly Steve. If the lettering starts to degrade it can easily be touched up pixel by pixel.

As Stuart suggests, there are lots of ways of achieving the result.
Old 22nd Jan 2022, 7:01 pm   #7
wireman
Heptode

On the version of Photoshop I have, Image, Adjustments, Black and White, then boost yellow looks like it might be worth a go.
Old 22nd Jan 2022, 7:07 pm   #8
Panrock
Nonode

On the low definition image above, I first converted to monochrome, then changed the brightness and contrast, applied a little gamma correction, and finally some coarse and fine sharpening. I use a twenty-year-old edition of Paintshop Pro.

Steve
Old 22nd Jan 2022, 8:41 pm   #9

It was a while ago that I did this, try the curves function, this lets you map any original value to another by wiggling a line. Instant feedback too.

Old 22nd Jan 2022, 9:13 pm   #10
markfff
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehertz View Post
If I send the scan to someone who is adept at Photoshop, could they remove the yellow cast so that it prints just the black lettering please? Cheers.
Sure I can do it. How big is the file, will it go by email? I have gmail, so less than 25mb I think
Closed Thread