UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Jan 2022, 10:01 am   #1
jacob65
Tetrode

Default Question Garrard Lab 80 / Washers

Hi, I have a lovely Garrard lab 80, that I currently am working on to get back in perfect working order. 2 questions. Anyone know the exact size of 5 thrust plate ball bearings under the main platter? And, shouldnt there be a washer under the idler wheel. I know the brownish paper-like washer that sits on top of the idler wheel with the circlip. But originally was it the same type of washer that also sits under the idler wheel?
Old 23rd Jan 2022, 3:50 pm   #2
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Default Re: Question Garrard Lab 80 / Washers

Hello Jacob,
I have scanned the parts list for the Garrard LAB 80 and can confirm that two identical washers are used on the idler unit. The parts list item 26 lists two.
I have checked the ball bearing size on my own Garrard LAB 80 and they appear to be 2.34mm. It is difficult to get the ball central in the callipers but I think it's very close. Hope this helps. The washers are made of 'Presspahn' what appears to be a very thin form of Paxolin. [Tuxite] Regards, John. [Details taken from LAB 80 manual not the SL75/95 seen in picture]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Garrard LAB 80 (2).jpg
Views:	41
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	250278   Click image for larger version

Name:	Garrard LAB 80 (3).jpg
Views:	41
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	250279   Click image for larger version

Name:	Garrard LAB 80 (1).jpg
Views:	57