UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Jan 2022, 12:33 am   #1
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Default Philips EL 3541 Reel to Reel Amplifier Button Should It Latch Down

In the top left corner of the right hand side compartment is a metal button to switch to amplifier mode. This is sprung loaded but when pressed down it does not stay latched down.

The Operating Instructions manual says that pressing the Stop button or Playback buton or Recording button will automatically release the amplifier switch, which to me seems to imply that when the amplifier button is pressed it should stay latched down.

So wondering if anybody knows if the button normally stays latched down when pressed.

Will have to remove the bottom cover to see if I can see how the amplifier switch works.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	249816  
Old 17th Jan 2022, 10:12 am   #2
Keith956
Heptode

Default Re: Philips EL 3541 Reel to Reel Amplifier Button Should It Latch Down

We had one of these in the 60's, it was a nice (albeit fairly simple) tape recorder. I'm pretty sure if pressed the button would latch.
Old 17th Jan 2022, 11:57 am   #3
TIMTAPE
Octode

I owned one many moons ago. Yes it definitely latched.
Old 17th Jan 2022, 10:37 pm   #4
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Removed the bottom cover and can now clearly see the amplifier switch operation.

When the amplifier metal button is first pushed this drives a Bowden cable which switches the electrical slide switch to amplifier position and the internal latching mechanism latches the Bowden cable in the first pushed position, the metal push button then returns to its rest position by a spring return, i.e. there is no actual latching/locking of the metal push button.

Pressing either the Stop button or Playback buton or Recording button resets the latch and the Bowden cable releases the amplifier slide switch back to its default position.

So happy now it is fully correct.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Unlatched.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	249904   Click image for larger version

Name:	Latched.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	249905