UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Jan 2022, 6:41 pm   #1
spamfritter
Pentode

Default Sanyo VTC 5300

I just don't seem to be able to stop myself ! I picked up another one of these today for £12 as my old one had a power supply failure and I was thinking of cannibalising the two to make one good one as the old one was fully serviced just before it failed. So, I powered up the latest one and the clock display came on and it's nice and stable - No flickering display. I can turn it on and off on the front panel and all the channel lights work. The only problem(s) is that there is a tape stuck in it and it won't unload plus a motor is still running all the time. Before I start gardening, has anybody got any suggestions of what I should look for and might id be something as simple as a belt ?
Old 7th Jan 2022, 11:55 pm   #2
dj_fivos_sak
Heptode

Default Re: Sanyo VTC 5300

Hi there. The reel motor on the VTC 5300/5350/5400 models doubles as the loading motor. There's a small idler tyre which is used for driving the loading ring. Don't let the machine turned on for a long time while the motor is running all the time otherwise a flat spot may form on the tyre. I learned this the hard way with my 5350 and then I had to file the tyre down with a fine sandpaper. The idler pulley has a groove on top of it where the loading belt sits. The loading belt and idler pulley are shown by the red arrows in the picture attached. The loading ring itself also has manufacturing issues from the factory and there's a modification to fix that by filing down the sharp edges (see second pic attached). If you need to replace the loading belt, be sure to re-attach the spring at the bottom side of the chassis otherwise the machine won't spool the tape back into the cassette during eject (see third pic).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	belts.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	249255   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2022-01-08 at 12.38.39 AM.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	249256   Click image for larger version

Name:	deck-bottom copy.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	249257  
Old 8th Jan 2022, 12:05 am   #3
dj_fivos_sak
Heptode

Finally, it should be possible to unlace a stuck tape by turning the loading ring by hand in a clockwise direction while the machine is powered on. If the tape isn't fully laced, you will need to help it lace up by turning the ring anti-clockwise. The mechanism will be in a fully laced condition when the pinch roller meets the capstan shaft, and the back-tension guide has pulled the tape against the full erase head. For more faults and solutions, see here:
https://www.palsite.com/5350tech.html

Regards

Fivos
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	deck-top side.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	249259  
Old 8th Jan 2022, 6:54 pm   #4
spamfritter
Pentode

OK here is the latest. Powered it up today with top off etc. There was a tape stuck in it. The loading/ drive motor and the drum motor were running but none of the main controls would do anything. It did appear to be fully laced up. I manually rotated the loading ring as you advised and the tape fully retracted OK and then the cassette ejected the tape and both motors then stopped.

Insert tape and it will load correctly. Press play and everything works OK.
Press stop and it works OK as does FF and rewind although they are a bit sluggish.
Press eject and it will not comply but the two motors keep running.
I have not got as far as hooking it up to a TV yet (that's a bit ambitious ! )

Is a set of belts and other service items still available anywhere now ?
Old 9th Jan 2022, 9:03 pm   #5
dj_fivos_sak
Heptode

I see there's a belt kit available from Italy:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/11488193181...4AAOSwFHBfl-09
And the idler seems to be available from the US:
http://electronicsupplycorp.com/cont..._Parts_01.html
But before spending money on parts, see if you can restore the existing tyres and belts with Rubber Renue, and make sure the video heads are OK by testing the playback on a TV. Incidentally, one of the belts in the VTC 5000/6000/6500 kit will fit as a replacement for the 5300's loading belt.

Fivos

Last edited by dj_fivos_sak; 9th Jan 2022 at 9:11 pm.
Old 9th Jan 2022, 11:59 pm   #6
spamfritter
Pentode

Thanks for the information. The man in Italy appears not to want to ship to the UK so the belts might be an Item you could get. The Idlers sound more interesting though and I might follow that up.

I used to work with a guy who like me had a Sanyo VTC5300 and I emailed him today and he thinks he might have a new set of belts and a pinch roller that he never used. I am awaiting an email tomorrow .
Old 16th Jan 2022, 12:14 am   #7
spamfritter
Pentode

OK so here's a conundrum. I have been able to source a new set of belts and also clean up the surface of the idler plus fitting a NOS pinch wheel . After some fun getting it all back together I thought I was on the home run. So I switched on and a new problem has cropped up. The REW and the FFWD LED's now both light up at the same time and very little now works. Considering I have only been delving into the very complex mechanical section, has anybody got an idea of what I have done wrong or what has got out of sync ?
Old 16th Jan 2022, 2:27 am   #8
dj_fivos_sak
Heptode

That's weird. Have you made sure you didn't unplug anything from the VD-2 syscon board by accident? Considering you needed to open up this board to gain access to the bottom mechanical section, there's a chance you have messed something up on it.

Fivos
Old 16th Jan 2022, 11:23 am   #9
simpsons
Octode

There may will be many occasions where once before we could buy from the EU we will no longer have that option.

From the BBC , "The moves follow changes in VAT rules brought in by HM Revenue and Customs on 1 January 2022."

This essentially means that overseas retailers sending goods to the UK are expected to register for UK VAT and account for it to HMRC if the sale value is less than €150 (£135). Before this, the EU " Low value consignment relief rules" applied and goods could be shipped without any of this.

This new rule has been extensively advertised on the radio, as it also applies to UK exporters and is expected to generate millions of pounds revenue per year unless of course, suppliers no longer wish to sell to the UK as illustrated, or the other way round.

Chris
Old 16th Jan 2022, 7:00 pm   #10
spamfritter
Pentode

Checked all the connections and plugs etc. today. Nothing found untoward. Looks like I am going to have to go deeper into the circuitry somehow.

Simsons. Surely if the supplier in the EU is sending goods out of the EU to UK then they should subtract the vat component as they are exporting goods and if I am lucky HM customs will not impose a local tax for small value items coming in. Ebay in particular seem to be able to get things through. I have purchased items off of ebay only to find they are coming from china and so far I have never been asked to cough up import duty.
Old 16th Jan 2022, 9:15 pm   #11
simpsons
Octode

Hi spamfritter

I am following your repair to the Sanyo with some interest as I too have one of these machines and it hasn't been used for some time. So should it suffer from the same issue I'll be a little wiser.

On the subject of goods imported from China, the rules agreed by the EU still apply here until we are told otherwise. That is goods below 150 Euros in value attract zero import duty tax.

I suggest though that we keep away from commenting too much on the new relations with the EU as we are now promised India is the next best thing.

Chris
Old 26th Jan 2022, 8:43 am   #12
spamfritter
Pentode

As of today, no further news. I am wading through the manual I downloaded when I get time and trying to get my head around it. Finding out why the FF & REW lights come on together is like trying to unknit fog ! The mechanical side of the beast is complex as well, especially when you compare it to the later VTC5000. The VTC5000 looks like they have left a lot of bits out !
Old 29th Jan 2022, 4:19 pm   #13
spamfritter
Pentode

So I dug out another old 5300 that was in my shed and thought I could use this to compare. This one seems to be partially working so I used a spare set of new belts and cleaned up the idler pulley and pinch roller. It will load up OK but not unload the tape unless I do it manually by pulling the loading ring back round. The query on this one though is that it will not release the cassette carriage. I have to do this manually from underneath. I checked and the other idler underneath (see arrow) is moving as it should driven by the solenoid but it does not quite touch the disc that drives it to push the release mechanism. Was this idler a standard replacement part as well ?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	VTC5300underidler.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	250693  
Old 30th Jan 2022, 12:09 pm   #14
spamfritter
Pentode

That problem sorted anyway. I found a surplus E clip wedged in the drive gears so the rubber was not quite able to touch the wheel. Where this came from ?? as I have all the ones I took off. Must have been there since the machine was last repaired/
Old 31st Jan 2022, 6:45 pm   #15
dj_fivos_sak
Heptode

Hello. You can adjust the gap between the eject idler and the capstan flywheel by loosening off these screws. This adjutment is actually mentioned in the manual. If the idler tyre is too worn to make contact with the flywheel, try expanding the tyre's diameter by putting a piece of dental floss or a strand of wire between the idler pulley and tyre.

Fivos
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot 2022-01-31 at 7.40.13 PM.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	250824   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2022-01-31 at 7.42.33 PM.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	250825  
Old 31st Jan 2022, 6:53 pm   #16
dj_fivos_sak
Heptode

Oh. Finding a lost E-clip inside the machine can be a nightmare. After all, they don't call them Jesus clips for nothing. Anyway, that Jesus clip must belong to somewhere inside that gear box. Remove the screws I mentioned in the previous post to find out if a clip is missing from the shaft of one of the gears.

Fivos
Old 31st Jan 2022, 9:18 pm   #17
spamfritter
Pentode

Thanks for the info Fivos. The idler tyre is very polished so I will give it a rub over and do the adjustment.
Old 3rd Feb 2022, 12:05 am   #18
spamfritter
Pentode

Fivos .. Idler tyre on the No 2 machine adjusted as per your info. What a difference ! This little mechanism also triggers the start of the unlacing sequence. I was having trouble with this previously but now it performs perfectly. Just got to test the video circuits etc and box it up.
Old 4th Feb 2022, 8:48 am   #19
dj_fivos_sak
Heptode

Glad you sorted that out. Yeah, that mechanism does indeed trigger the unlace mode. You can hear the solenoid engage for a second when you press eject with a tape loaded. If you hear a squeaking sound every time you eject regardless when a tape is inside or not, apply a drop of electric shaver oil or 3-in-1 electric motor oil onto the shaft of the idler pulley. Do not use car/motorbike engine oil.

Fivos
Old 4th Feb 2022, 9:24 pm   #20
spamfritter
Pentode

Yes, I do get that little squeak so I will do as you say. 3 in 1 light cycle oil should do the job. Otherwise the machine is now working fine. The other 5300 with the rew /FF lights on is a different case. Very perplexing ! I can trick it into playing but I cannot trick it if the cassette carrier is not in place. The 5300 is a bit more clever than the 5000. I have also just completed repairing one of those as well.
Closed Thread