UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Jan 2022, 12:09 am   #21
Terry_VK5TM
Nonode

Default Re: Panel Artwork - an easy option

One type of label we use in the Mens Shed are Avery Outdoor Labels and they stand up to all sorts of abuse.

We have some now ~5 years old, been outside in the weather and look like they have just been printed.

Only available in silver or white, but do take to being printed in colour with a colour laser printer (don't bother with the inkjet print version - the ink doesn't weather well).

Come in sizes from an A4 to 48 labels per page.

https://www.averyproducts.com.au/lab...-labels?cat=cp
Old 16th Jan 2022, 6:04 am   #22
markfff
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by keland_uk View Post
Its the textured sheet from Prusa... so not by design on my part, I had hoped the top surface could be used, but even with the "ironing" facility of the prusa its not half as good as printing it upside down.... maybe I need to learn how do some sanding...
I'll have to look into the textured sheet, I like the results, I've never had very good results sanding PLA & PETG. For the build plate I just use ordinary window glass coated with hairspray (of all things), the print sticks to it really well, but when it reaches room temperature it releases on its own.

Quote:
Utilised a Stainless steel pole wall support for my stereo Microscope by 3D printing an inner for the pole. Obviously not just for Facia's....
I'm constantly amazed at the kinds of things you can print. I started out with a cheap Chinese kit about 5 years ago that I've extensively modified since then. Most of the mods were printed using that very same printer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220115_141939.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	249774  
Old 16th Jan 2022, 4:34 pm   #23
keland_uk
Tetrode

Quote:
I'm constantly amazed at the kinds of things you can print. I started out with a cheap Chinese kit about 5 years ago that I've extensively modified since then. Most of the mods were printed using that very same printer.

Very nice set-up, what's the biggest thing you can print, it looks like its bigger than the prusa at 25×21×21 cm (9.84"×8.3"×8.3"). Theyve just brought a bigger one with a better solution for different colours... Prusa XL is a large-scale CoreXY 3D printer with a build volume of 36×36×36 cm (14.17’’×14.17’’×14.17’’). expensive tho....https://www.prusa3d.com/product/original-prusa-xl-2/

MAybe we should start a 3D appreciation thread , and images of our sucesses.

I 3d printed a very small insert for a switch for someone on this site which he said worked...
Old 17th Jan 2022, 1:25 pm   #24
retailer
Heptode

As I mentioned in a previous post I'm converting my mill to cnc and have reached the point where I can do some engraving tests, back around 12 months ago I built the Steve Bench inductance bridge, I would normally have printed up paper artwork for the front panel and then after giving it a few coats of varnish it would have been glued to the front panel - a reasonably quick and perfectly adequate solution, I held off on doing this deciding at the time to wait until my mill conversion was operational.

Here is a photo of a test engrave for one of the 12 position switches, done with a home made D bit cutter - the artwork was drawn up using the home non commercial version of Fusion360 - the scrap bit of test aluminium already had black paint on it and was not very flat, I could see it flexing up and down as the cutter moved, I should have searched for something better but I was keen to have a go, after engraving I went over it with a purple felt tip pen, the idea being to make the engraving stand out - however I found it hard to wipe off all of the purple using a paper towel soaked in meths.

I can see that I made an error with the 0.6 and missed the zero when defining the tool path something to watch out for once I do the real thing, my mill is not that big and I'm going to have to setup for each bit of engraving one at a time rather than doing the whole panel in one go.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2022-01-17 224928.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	249845   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220117_222237.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	249846  
Old 17th Jan 2022, 4:26 pm   #25
markfff
Tetrode

Quote:
Very nice set-up, what's the biggest thing you can print, ... Prusa XL is a large-scale CoreXY 3D printer
Thanks. The spec on mine is 24x22x22 cm, of course for practical purposes it's a little less. I'd like to build a CoreXY at some point, but the XL looks pretty impressive.

Quote:
MAybe we should start a 3D appreciation thread , and images of our sucesses.
Good idea, will the Mods be ok with it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by retailer View Post
Here is a photo of a test engrave for one of the 12 position switches, done with a home made D bit cutter
Nice! Definitely looks like this has possibilities
Closed Thread