UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Nov 2019, 2:55 am   #1
Jolly 7
Octode

Default Electroniques battery charger kit ?

While casually browsing on the internet, I recently came across these pictures of Electroniques kit manuals. Last year I had picked up a rusty and broken battery charger without a manufacturer's label from a car boot sale. Finding the battery charger picture helped me identify it as a Knight kit one. The battery charger was restored and converted to a bench PSU !
I wonder if anyone else on the forum has one of these chargers or even the kit radio as seen in the picture ? The charger has a 0-5 A ammeter on it. What sort of battery would it have been designed for ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600 (52).jpg
Views:	170
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	194175   Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600 (53).jpg
Views:	172
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	194176  
Old 23rd Nov 2019, 3:14 am   #2
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Default Re: Electroniques battery charger kit ?

I imagine it's a transformer, metal rectifier, moving-iron meter in a steel case of the type often used to trickle-charge a car battery.

My memory of Electroniques was not altogether positive. As a child I had built something or other, it might have been a "Q Multiplier" with their colourful range of coils, I think they had a lock-nut at the top .

As I didn't have the correct plastic hex trimming tool, inevitably I cracked the cores. I wrote to STC who had acquired the company asking for some replacements, and was quoted a price that exceeded the coils themselves. My dad wrote and asked them how they could justify it, I think they said it was a mistake and quoted a more reasonable price.
Old 23rd Nov 2019, 4:22 am   #3
usradcoll1
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly 7 View Post
While casually browsing on the internet, I recently came across these pictures of Electroniques kit manuals. Last year I had picked up a rusty and broken battery charger without a manufacturer's label from a car boot sale. Finding the battery charger picture helped me identify it as a Knight kit one. The battery charger was restored and converted to a bench PSU !
I wonder if anyone else on the forum has one of these chargers or even the kit radio as seen in the picture ? The charger has a 0-5 A ammeter on it. What sort of battery would it have been designed for ?
The Knight-kit line was originally a product of the Allied Radio Corp of Chicago, Illinois USA.
It's possible that the Electroniques firm bought the name and the parts inventory.
I have a couple of the SWL receivers shown in the illustration. It was known as the "Star-Roamer". Not great, a regular four valve plus metal rectifier superhet design.
AFAIK They never offered a battery charger of that type in the US.
Dave, USradcoll1.
Old 23rd Nov 2019, 12:18 pm   #4
Herald1360
Dekatron

That charger bears more than a passing resemblance to my ITT one, bought in the staff shop at the ITT-KB factory in St Leonards, Hastings in 1971. The outer case is moulded plastic (polypropylene?) and the works apart from the meter are mounted on a pressed steel chassis that forms the back and bottom of the case.

It's seen a fair bit of (ab)use over the last 50 odd years including several replacement rectifiers! I'm not sure the meter's original, either.

Not quite Trigger's Broom, but getting there
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN5302.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	194195  
.........O..Chris....O

Last edited by Herald1360; 23rd Nov 2019 at 12:25 pm.
Old 23rd Nov 2019, 2:23 pm   #5
Jolly 7
Octode

Here is my unit with its selenium rectifier, transformer and ammeter removed. The plastic/polypropylene case is not of the greatest quality and it is prone to cracking under a moderate amount of stress. I patched up the hole where the ammeter used to be with pieces of plastic cut out off a washing liquid tablet. I like the solid steel base though, but it was very difficult to drill through it when mounting a new transformer. My new PSU is virtually RF noise-free and goes from 1.2 to 24V continuous. I still need to add a voltage indicator dial to it...and maybe a replica Electroniques label ☺
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	downloadfile-6-01.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	194210  
Old 23rd Nov 2019, 5:50 pm   #6
usradcoll1
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by usradcoll1 View Post
The Knight-kit line was originally a product of the Allied Radio Corp of Chicago, Illinois USA.
It's possible that the Electroniques firm bought the name and the parts inventory.
I have a couple of the SWL receivers shown in the illustration. It was known as the "Star-Roamer". Not great, a regular four valve plus metal rectifier superhet design.
AFAIK They never offered a battery charger of that type in the US.
I failed to mention that the receiver does use a proper mains transformer instead of a live chassis, plus all 6 volt valve heaters. The IF valve is a special one, not normally seen in most sets. They sold for $30usd back then.
I never bought one new, but from swap meets. I'm trying to remember if it has a BFO circuit. It probably does.
Dave, USradcoll1. I seldom seen a radio I didn't like.
Closed Thread