UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Aug 2022, 1:01 pm   #1
Gridiron
Heptode

Default Golden Arrow Radio Sets

I found this leaflet, about a make I had previously never heard of, at a gramophone swapmeet. The model featured looks to be from the early 30's and probably of European origin, I wonder if the name was taken from the famous boat train. Thought it might be of interest, has anyone any more information about this make? Scans of two pages from the leaflet attached.
Mike.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Golden Arrow Sets 1 001.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	262910   Click image for larger version

Name:	Golden Arrow Sets 2 001.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	262911  
Old 16th Aug 2022, 1:39 pm   #2
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Default Re: Golden Arrow Radio Sets

That's an interesting find. Consulting the earliest copy I have of the Broadcaster Trade Annual - 1933 - Golden Arrow is listed as a trademark belonging to J. Toubkin, of 33, Long Millgate, Manchester and 130, High Holborn, WC1: in use at the time for "Loudspeaker and mains units", so perhaps the operation had retreated by then from attempting to compete in the domestic receiver market. Most of those hand-written valve type numbers are formidably obscure.

There had been quite a shakeout of smaller radio producers long before 1933, but quite a few names long forgotten, even by the likes of us, are to be found in that year's annual - Loradsa, for instance, "Better than the Best" with a full page advert depicting an AC/DC table model and a radiogram.

Paul
Old 17th Aug 2022, 10:40 pm   #3
Gridiron
Heptode

Default Re: Golden Arrow Radio Sets

The 4K32 and 4L13 are small output valves made by Tekade, the G490 is a Valvo rectifier similar to a Philips 506 according to the Brans Vade Mecum, so the set seems to have 2 different output valves, one of which is rated at only a third of the other, very strange !
Closed Thread