UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 17th Aug 2020, 11:03 pm   #1
Oldcodger
Nonode

Default Mains spike killer?

Or is it, or any other use. I've had one of these "protective earth source adapter 1A " in the mains feed to my TV etc for a lot of years, having found one powering up some ancient BT spike sensitive kit. Does it really stop my TV etc getting spikes. Or is it just snake oil?
Old 18th Aug 2020, 8:33 am   #2
dagskarlsen
Heptode

Default Re: Mains spike killer?

Yes an no.
It depends on what kind of spikes you get.
Lightning struck the power line near our house. The TV that was unplugged died. The house caught fire.

The telephone line was protected with some kind of fuses and a spark gap unit. The touch tone phone died, the old rotary throw the clapper from the ringer. When I pressed it back, twisted together the telephone wire from each side of the evaporated fuses, it worked. The protection worked that far.

We had noise on the TV, and I could never locate the source so I took the live wire and gave it 2 turns around a iron ring, and did the same with the neutral and the problem was solved.

Since then I have learned a lot, and some of those protective plugs are just snake oil, some has really high class filters and protection, and non of them will handle a real lightning hit.

The bad thing is that price does not tell anything about quality.

dsk
Old 18th Aug 2020, 8:43 am   #3
dagskarlsen
Heptode

If it is "noise" read this: http://www.m0nwk.co.uk/mains-electri...ise-reduction/

Since I hate to spend money, I have used a filter from an old PC cabinet on some equipment.

dsk
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	filter.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	5.4 KB
ID:	213785  

Last edited by dagskarlsen; 18th Aug 2020 at 8:59 am.
Old 18th Aug 2020, 10:12 am   #4
Refugee
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagskarlsen View Post
Since I hate to spend money, I have used a filter from an old PC cabinet on some equipment.

dsk
Oh dear.
Those RIFA bombs inside will have been ticking from new.
If you have not smelt one you soon will.
Old 18th Aug 2020, 10:22 am   #5
dagskarlsen
Heptode

No blown capacitors from the filters so far, but yes it does not smell good, and are probably not healthy

Iguess the oldest filter I have is in the AEG turnamat washing machine, 50 years old, and still working (after some fettling)
Old 18th Aug 2020, 11:29 am   #6
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

"If it is "noise" read this: http://www.m0nwk.co.uk/mains-electri...ise-reduction/ "

Good link, and embedded links too. Thanks!
Closed Thread