UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Mar 2022, 7:54 pm   #621
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Default Re: Bygone radio traders

Does anyone remember a long established dealer in Manchester called Whites?

I was discussing this with Mike Phelan and he suggests the company was called AC White.
British Relay acquired them.

My parents rented a BushTV135 from them, it was our first "BBC2" set.

They were a regular advertiser in the Manchester Evening News, here are some samples.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	whites.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	253908   Click image for larger version

Name:	whites1.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	253909  
Old 13th Apr 2022, 3:11 am   #622
dj_Keet
Triode

Default Re: Bygone radio traders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Adams View Post
There was another that I remember, and that was 'Lings Radio' also long gone.

Further reading here regarding Waltons, and Lings.

Paul.
These were the days of no internet I was reading 'Electronics Today' in Wolverhampton reference library, the mag contained a sound effects project based around SN76477 chip I purchased this from Tandy's along with etching/board etc. Components were from Lings on Snow Hill, the shop was so tiny as the counter with all the electrical parts protruded forward. Mr Ling smoked a lot including a pipe as well which just filled the shop with tobacco fumes. He was so helpful though, I reminisce over those times (Early 80's)
Closed Thread