UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Websites

Notices

Websites Found an interesting website? Post the details here and share it with the rest of us. Please stick to websites that are in some way related to our hobby/interest.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Sep 2020, 8:08 pm   #41
turretslug
Dekatron

Default Re: Leak HiFi returns(!)

Duracell represents an obvious recent example of capitalisation of goodwill- acquire something with a previous good reputation, apply the name to a lowest-bid product and apply mark-up. Sooner or later, everyone will have either personal experience of something ruined by leaky batteries, or will know someone else who has- but by then, the proverbial laughing has taken place all the way to the proverbial bank. Hopefully, the Leak revival is less cynical.
Old 21st Sep 2020, 7:32 am   #42
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

The Quad Artera pre, although (they say) purely analogue signal path is actually menu driven via the handset, has re-introduced the "tilt" control and the bass boost and shelf filters, last seen in the long-obsolete 34 and 44.

Of course, if the batteries in the handset die, you cannot operate the preamp (other than change input and volume) or cancel any setting to the tone controls or tilt.

Craig
Old 21st Sep 2020, 11:48 am   #43
Radio Wrangler

It's interesting watching to see how long it is taking for the Duracell name to become generally accepted as tat after a long time as a trusted premium brand.

If only M&S had someone make StMichael batteries for them......

David
Old 21st Sep 2020, 12:22 pm   #44
mark2collection
Hexode

I too wonder if there are plans for loudspeakers, possibly a turntable and perhaps a tuner too

It would depend on up-take of current products I suppose.

My daily driver in the lab at work is a Leak 2000 Receiver, running a pair of new Tannoy's. I'm sure the new product range will vastly out-perform the 2000, but for now, it's doing sterling work on FM, via an iDevice or web-based radio via a Raspberry Pi, and thankfully, the 2000 doesn't suffer noisy switches.

Mark
Old 21st Sep 2020, 2:00 pm   #45
stevehertz
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2collection View Post
I too wonder if there are plans for loudspeakers, possibly a turntable and perhaps a tuner too

It would depend on up-take of current products I suppose.

My daily driver in the lab at work is a Leak 2000 Receiver, running a pair of new Tannoy's. I'm sure the new product range will vastly out-perform the 2000, but for now, it's doing sterling work on FM, via an iDevice or web-based radio via a Raspberry Pi, and thankfully, the 2000 doesn't suffer noisy switches.

Mark
Agree that the 2000 is lovely unit, I acquired one a few weeks ago and fully restored it. Mind you, the switches on mine were very intermittent and have a reputation for being so from stuff I've read. I suppose if it's in daily use then that's not the case so much, or at all.
Old 21st Sep 2020, 3:37 pm   #46
Nanozeugma
Heptode

Amusing that the little 130 marketing video made reference to speaker "inputs" (!) and suggested it had "Art-Deco design"... (!)
Old 22nd Sep 2020, 8:36 am   #47
Michael Maurice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
Names from a golden past are still worth a bit of money to traders who think they will enhance sales of tat.

David

In the 90's and Early 2000's Curry's bought the right to use the Grunding Logo on their Matsui tat. It was the same TV except for the badge on the front and label on the back, but the Grundig version was £100 more.

If you phoned Grundig for technical advice, the guys on the other end said "Go to Mastercare" and slammed the phone down.

The did the same with JVC analogue satellite receivers and Hitachi hifi.

What a load of con artists.

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 22nd Sep 2020, 11:53 am   #48
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

Don't mention Currys/PC World to me. They take orders on line instantly (in this case for ink jet cartridges) and arrive in two days. But I wanted to cancel (turned out to be a fault in the printer). Could I cancel? No chance. Tried to phone them.

After fifteen minutes of rubbish music a lady clearly working from home said "Is it a small or large appliance?" "Er - small" "Transferring you" Click. More rubbish music. Gave up after a further fifteen minutes.

Apparently, Currys say, that because of Covid-19 it can take an hour to answer the phone.

Funny that their warehouse is staffed at a level that ships product super-rapid, but their so-called customer care is a total shower.

Comes as no surprise that they acquire high grade brandnames from the golden age and then rape them for every penny they can squeeze out.

As you say Michael - con artists.

Craig
Old 22nd Sep 2020, 10:02 pm   #49
Valve'n'vinyl
Pentode

I was literally shocked to see that LEAK was churning out HiFi Again...fell for it again didn't I... I dare say I have no doubt it would be good gear that they are producing . However, I too have fell in the trap a few times with other "brands" and have been bitterly disappointed . For instance , Eveready Incandescent bulbs, Popped as soon as it went in and the other 3 lasted only weeks if I was lucky.. Same with a Lucas Coil for my Morris Minor, HT was 5000V Higher than it should have been and kept burning out carbon brushes in Dizzy cap. Bussmann fuses too and MK gear now made abroard. Brand badge engineering is for the most part and with the odd exception a magic show to disguise inferior quality goods. Seems unless you are buying New Old Stock the days of relying on , or putting total faith in a well trusted brand are long gone .
Old 23rd Sep 2020, 11:47 am   #50
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

Read back over the posts about IAG. They are definitely not a shower, and produce some fabulous products having saved a number of UK audio companies from the scrapheap of history.

Craig
Old 26th Sep 2020, 10:15 am   #51
Station X

Can we get back on to the subject of Leak Hi-Fi please.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Closed Thread