UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Nov 2019, 2:13 pm   #1
electronicskip
Nonode

Default Decca Columbia Parlophone record supplements

Today I was at a book sale and saw these old record supplements dated from 1953 / 1954 from various record companies.

Only cost a few pennies so I bought them as a curiosity.

Seem to be a list of the records released each month as the supplements are dated monthly.

I've never seen these before , can anyone shed some light on them?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191103_125904.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	193040  
Old 3rd Nov 2019, 2:59 pm   #2
rontech
Heptode

Default Re: Decca Columbia Parlophone record supplements

Back in the day each major record company would issue a complete listing of their current catalogue. This was pretty thick paperback book. They were stocked by record shops and I think they were free. Probably issued annually. I had an HMV and a Decca one in about 1955 or 6 Also in the bookcase was an early 1930's HMV one which beloged to my father.

The monthly releases to which you refer were basiclly to keep thngs up to date between the annual issues.
Old 3rd Nov 2019, 3:02 pm   #3
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: Decca Columbia Parlophone record supplements

Hi,
Something similar used to be featured on 78 rpm record sleeves, especially the ten inch 'popular' music ones. They make fascinating reading!
Cheers, Pete.
Old 3rd Nov 2019, 6:06 pm   #4
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

I may still have somewhere or other, a few of those monthly record releases 'flyers',and I know I have several copies of a 'Top Twenty' published in the late 1950s by, IIRC, the Music Publishers Association. They are stamped with the Name & Address of a local record & Radio/TV shop (Leech & Hainge), who had an appropriate telephone Number-it was Chipping Norton 78!
Old 3rd Nov 2019, 6:51 pm   #5
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

I remember seeing these in the 60s; my late father bought quite a few records and it seemed to be the thing for the dealer to slip one of these supplements into the sleeve as "here's new good stuff-you-should-shop" hint.
Old 4th Nov 2019, 1:32 pm   #6
barretter
Heptode

Yes they were advertising flyers given away free in record shops but you had to pay for the main catalogues. I have quite a lot of these and they all have prices on them, for instance the 1955-6 Columbia-MGM-Parlophone catalogue (726 pages) is priced at 4 shillings on the spine.
Closed Thread