UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Apr 2020, 6:57 pm   #1
chriswood1900
Octode

Default Talking Pictures TV

Not sure if others have spotted this but there was a piece in the Sunday Mail on Talking Pictures TV and how successful it has been, for those that missed it here is a link to the online article.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...e-channel.html
Old 21st Apr 2020, 7:37 pm   #2
The Philpott
Dekatron

Default Re: Talking Pictures TV

In the afternoon slot there is almost always a film I have never heard of, let alone seen.
.....and they're generally well worth watching.
Dave
Old 21st Apr 2020, 7:46 pm   #3
Nymrod121
Nonode

TPTV is one of my favourites - I got hooked after watching 'Ring of Spies' (Bernard Lee, Margaret Tyzack, William Sylvester, David Kossof).
They're a small independent company and according to a recent mailshot, they are suffering from a severe loss of advertising revenue at this time.
It will be a great shame if they don't survive
Guy
Old 21st Apr 2020, 7:51 pm   #4
Radio Wrangler

I've been known to wind up people a little by saying that, just like with cinemas, early televisions were silent and someone in each household had to play a piano or something before talky TVs were invented.

David
Old 21st Apr 2020, 8:06 pm   #5

Part of Renown Pictures who sell DVDs of many past times shows and films. bought a few myself in the past.

Old 21st Apr 2020, 8:11 pm   #6
Nymrod121
Nonode

I've just spoken with Sarah Cronin-Stanley and she was delighted to hear of their channel having been mentioned on this Forum

Although I got the impression that challenging times lay ahead in a couple of months if things didn't ease re. Covid-19 & lockdown, Sarah sounded confident of TPTV's ability to weather the storm just as long as more people were made aware of their channel. She emphasised that by far the best way of supporting their endeavours is by joining the 'Renown Films Club' at https://www.renownfilms.co.uk/

This brings on a monthly e-mailshot and access to lots of TPTV channel-supporting merchandise ... e.g. the DVD of 'Ring of Spies' for £8 (including postage, I believe!)

"I commend it to the Forum"

Guy
Old 21st Apr 2020, 8:15 pm   #7
Aub
Nonode

A couple of weeks ago they showed, "Dateline Diamonds", which featured Wonderful Radio London 🙂

Aub
Old 21st Apr 2020, 8:34 pm   #8
chriswood1900
Octode

I hope they do weather the current lock down, I enjoy their films and I think we should do everything we can to publicize the channel, that way they get more viewers, more advertising and therefore more revenue.
Go tell your friends!
Old 21st Apr 2020, 8:35 pm   #9
whyperion
Hexode

Certainly been watching some of the items, including Imperial War Museum Archieve.
is it Talking Pictures that have been showing the CFF Children's Film Foundation films or is that Channel 5 on the odd Saturday. Would still watch Talking Pictures even if other channels were broadcasting normally, it makes a change from the Sport that ITV4 and the like run at weekends ! Also been watching some of the films shown on London Live (Channel 9 on DAB in London area. which are quite interesting from the local / Ealing Films etc movies. In the 1970s we at the boys club and other places would acquire or hire in films from the likes of Shell (Formula 1 races from the 50s/60s), or British Transport Commission Films. Given the documentary stuff broadcast on other channels i would think there is scope for these to be shown, plus some of the classic animated shorts if Sony on Satellite and Cable have not tied up all the licencing rights.
Old 21st Apr 2020, 8:59 pm   #10
AJSmith625
Pentode

I find that I watch more of this channel these days than the the main BBC and ITV etc. One of the things I do like is that they endeavour to show the complete film or TV programme from the start including station ident eg- Thames, LWT etc. Also at the end they don't shrink the credits to a corner of the screen so you can hardly read them and blast out what is coming on next as seems to be the norm now by the main broadcasters. May they go from strength to strength.

Alan
Old 21st Apr 2020, 9:46 pm   #11

I enjoyed "Special Branch" last night.

Old 21st Apr 2020, 10:18 pm   #12
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

They've been running 'Danger UXB' (1979, Anthony Andrews, Judy Geeson, Iain Cuthbertson) for some weeks now. I don't know how fact based it is but the challenges presented by the various different bomb fuses and the typically British Heath-Robinson wheezes to get around each one make for fascinating viewing, it would be interesting to know how much of that technical content was based on historical fact.

I'm hoping they'll run 'Wings' (First world war, Royal Flying Corps drama) some time, as well.

My favourite TPTV material is the archive material from the likes of British Transport Films, Public Information Films and the Imperial War Museum's archives, documentary-dramas like 'Target For Tonight' for example.
Old 21st Apr 2020, 10:28 pm   #13
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
I've been known to wind up people a little by saying that, just like with cinemas, early televisions were silent and someone in each household had to play a piano or something before talky TVs were invented.

David
Many a true word is spoken in jest - though one has to go back to Baird's 30-line televisor days of the 1920s and early '30s. A single (audio bandwidth) station could carry either vision or sound, but not both, so unless two stations could be employed in parallel, the only option was to take turns between pictures and sound - or just show silent pictures as per David's "wind-up".
Old 21st Apr 2020, 10:32 pm   #14
poppydog
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinmaxwell View Post
I enjoyed "Special Branch" last night.
Loving special branch, been recording it from very 1st episode with Derren Nesbitt, was a bit disappointed at first when they completely revamped it and George Sewell starred but they are just as good with plenty of future Sweeney actors/actresses
Another excellent series is "Out" starring Tom Bell on sundays at 12.00am, which I record.

poppydog
Old 21st Apr 2020, 11:07 pm   #15
The Philpott
Dekatron

'Sparrows can't sing' was very entertaining last week. I sensed the germ of 'On the buses' and 'George and Mildred' within the cast and plot.

I can confirm that the nuts and bolts of 'Danger UXB' are VERY close, if not exact, to the challenges faced and solutions used. I flagged up the fact the series was being re-run a short while ago but the post was deleted because i mentioned the lead actor drove his car-rather than trailer shots being used.

Dave
Old 21st Apr 2020, 11:08 pm   #16
TowerRadio
Hexode

"Glimpses" is worth watching,however in an old B&W film "The Secret Place" shown recently a young boy kicks the guts out of a portable gramophone! Les.
Old 21st Apr 2020, 11:37 pm   #17
Richard_FM
Octode

There was at least one early TV set that didn't have an internal speaker & needed to be connected to the gram input on a wireless.
Old 21st Apr 2020, 11:42 pm   #18
neil29
Heptode

I'm usually recording something or 6 from TPTV and would certainly miss watching films and programmes that barely if at all get shown on the usual channels if it did disappear. long may it live.

Cheers
Neil.
Old 22nd Apr 2020, 12:25 am   #19
emeritus
Dekatron

I am another enthusiastic viewer of Talking Pictures!

I used to have an early post-war radio that had a "Television Sound" position on the SW band. From an old thread here a few years ago, I understand it used a 3rd harmonic trap circuit to receive Channel 1 TV sound, and that they did a mute TV to go with it.
Old 22nd Apr 2020, 9:36 am   #20
Brigham
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post

David
Early TV WAS silent.
The picture and sound were sent consecutively,from 2LO, until the new BBC 'twin wave' station at Brookmans Park opened in 1930.
Closed Thread