UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Mar 2023, 4:45 pm   #1
Chris55000
Nonode

Default Punch data for the SD4 Tetrode-Diode Valve

Hi!

In response to Member Stevehertz's request for Mullard MSHVT punch data for the SD4 Diode Tetrode valve, I have now worked this out as below!

For the Tetrode section Card 95A :-

(a) For the anode, punch A10 to connect the anode rail A to the top cap connector, plus holes G3 and G10 to connect rail A to the h.t. positive line.

(b) The screen-grid rail is B, so to connect the screen-grid to pin 3, hole B3 needs to be punched. For half the h.t., the only facility available on the MHSVT, punch hole K9 - this connects the G2 rail B to half the h.t.

(c) For the control grid, punch C2 and J10 to connect pin 2 to the control grid rail to pin 2 and to chassis for 0 V G.B.

(d) There is no suppressor grid, so only hole E6 needs to be punched to connect the cathode to chassis.

(e) The heater is 4.0V 1.0A, so we can adopt the punching for the VP4 vari-mu RF pentode, for which card 200 is available, so punch hole J5 for 4.0 V - the other connection to the transformer is made by the permanent wiring and switching.There is also the primary tap for the heater transformer to be made in the correct place, for valves with a 4 V 1.0 A heater, this is hole K8. For the heater continuity test, punch hole G7. We also punch F4 to connect the "cathode" side of the indicator input circuit to earth.

(f) For 200 V h.t., we look for another B7 valve with a 4V 1A heater and 200 V anode rating, and the VP4 fits the bill, for which card 200 is available, so use the h.t. selector punching from that - L1, L2, L3, L4, L5 and L7. We also need to switch the anodes of the GZ33 h.t. rectifier to feed them from the maximum available h.t. secondary voltage, therefore punch M3 and M7 to select the 400 V taps, plus M4 and M8 to connect the GZ33 into circuit.

(f) To set the indicator to read the datum line for 10 mA, you need a shunt resistance of 75 ohms, so punch H2 and H6 to shunt 82 ohms and 1k1 in parallel. All the cards I looked also require G1 punched as well.

(g) No data on heater-cathode voltage is given for the SD4 valve that I can find anywhere, but it's reasonable to suggest the punching for the TDD4, for which cards 157A,157B and 157C are available, is reasonable, so from these, punch L9 and M10 to select the heater-cathode voltage.

(h) For the Grid Current test, no specification is available for the SD4, but we can tentatively use the TDD4 for this, so from card 157A, punch I1, I2, I3, I6 and I9.

(i) For all the cards I checked, F1, F3 and F4 need to be punched to correctly setup the indicator circuit for tests 1 to 5 inclusive.

This completes the punching for the Tetrode Section Card 95A.

For the Diode Section Card 95B:-

(j) For the diode anode connection, punch A7 and for the cathode connection, punch E6.

(k) Punch B10 to connect the unused T.C. connection to chassis.

(l) There are no holes punched in the Control Grid Hole C.

(m) Holes D1 and D10 are punched to earth unused electrodes.

(n) Holes £4, E6 and E7 are punched to setup the connections for the diode test.

(o) On row F, punch F1, F3, F4, F6 and F10

(p) On row G, punch G1, G2, G4 and G7.

(q) On row H, punch H3 and H5.

(r) No holes are punched on the "Grid Current Test" Rail I.

(s) For the heater voltage, punch J5 and K8.

(t) For the diode anode voltage h.t. test, punch L3, L4, L5, L6 and L9.

(u) Finally on row M, punch M1, M4, M5, M8 and M10.

The full card punch data is therefore :-

SD4 Card 95A Tetrode :-

A10, B3, C2, D1, D10, E6, F1, F3, F4, G1, G3, G7, G10, H2, H6, I1, I2, I3, I6, I9, J5, J10, K8, K9, L1, L2, L3, L4, L5. L7, L9, M3, M4, M7, M8 and M10.

SD4 Card 95B Diode :-

A7, B10, D1, D10, E4, E6, E7, F1, F3, F4, F6, F10, G1, G2, G4, G7, H3, H5, J5, K8, L3, L4, L5, L6, L9, M1, M4, M5, M8 and M10.

Please feel free to let me know if I've made any glaring obvious howlers!

Chris Williams

Last edited by Chris55000; 13th Mar 2023 at 5:07 pm.
Old 13th Mar 2023, 5:00 pm   #2
Chris55000
Nonode

Default Re: Punch data for the SD4 Tetrode-Diode Valve

PS!

From the "Mullard Numerical List", I deemed it reasonable to choose "95AB" as the new card number for the SD4 as this was a very early valve and "95" was the first non-issue card!

Chris Williams
Old 13th Mar 2023, 5:26 pm   #3
Chris55000
Nonode

PPS!

Mullard E7600/4 owners need an adaptor lead making, consisting of a short pice of wire with an old large-size top-cap from a faulty valve plus a spade connector at the other end for the SD4 top cap screw terminal - a short piece of stiff copper wire with heatshrink sleeving to insulate it will do for this, as the E7600/4 has a non-removeable top-cap lead!

Chris Williams
Old 13th Mar 2023, 5:43 pm   #4
Aub
Nonode

I'm not familiar with punch data. Can you briefly explain please?

Aub
Old 13th Mar 2023, 5:59 pm   #5
Chris55000
Nonode

The Mullard HSVT uses tufnol punched cards with a matrix of holes that needs to be individually designed and coded to set up the tester for each valve, in the tester are thirteen rows A to M from top to bottom and 1 to 10 along each row, so the punch data I provided indicates what holes are punched for each valve - several Members have a data-base that specifies what holes are punched for each valve, and at least one Member has a milling/punch equipment that can make these cards - the letter/number references are the hole co-ordinates!

Chris Williams
Old 13th Mar 2023, 6:05 pm   #6
Aub
Nonode

Ah ok thanks. So a bit like early computing punch cards.

Cheers

Aub
Old 13th Mar 2023, 6:11 pm   #7
Cobaltblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aub View Post
Ah ok thanks. So a bit like early computing punch cards.

Cheers

Aub
Pre-dates computer punch cards by a while.

The 1935 Mullard Master test board also used punched cards

https://mullard.org/blogs/news/aa-1

Cheers

Mike T
Old 13th Mar 2023, 8:08 pm   #8
stevehertz
Dekatron

I am very indebted to Chris for designing the Mullard HSVT test card for use with the SD4 valve - thanks Chris! Now, next step, is there anyone out there, preferably with previous experience of doing so, able and willing to make the SD4 test cards that Chris has thoughtfully suggested be designated 95A & B? All costs covered obviously. I would imagine I'm not the only person interested in such a test card.
Old 14th Mar 2023, 12:01 am   #9
Chris55000
Nonode

I've just realised I misread the SD4 characteristic curve (I had a really bad furry copy of the data!) – for the curve I can find, for Va = 200 V, Vg2 = 100 V,
Vg1 = 0 V, the anode current is about 16.5 mA, so the correct hole punchings for the emission test should be :–

G1, H4, H5 and H6 for line (q) in post No 1.

This will give a reading near to the datum line for an anode current of about 16.3 mA!

My apologies for the mistake!

Chris Williams
Old 14th Mar 2023, 2:23 am   #10
Chris55000
Nonode

. . . Just realised from checking the CT80 book theory diagrams I accidentally forgot hole F6 for testing heater–cathode insulation from the SD4 Tetrode Card 95A – the final punching for Card 95A for the SD4 Tetrode is as below!

A10, B3, C2, D1, D10, E6, F1, F3, F4, F6 G1, G3, G7, G1, G10, H4, H5, H6, I1, I2, I3, I6, I9, J5, J10, K8, K9, L1, L2, L3, L4, L5. L7, L9, M3, M4, M7, M8 and M10.

Once again, my apologies – all the diagrams I have are extremely furry and it's difficult to read some of the numbers and letters on them!

Chris Williams
Old 15th Mar 2023, 9:49 am   #11
Electronpusher0
Nonode

I am able to punch cards for the MHSVT.
I have punched a few modified EL84 cards for members (correcting an error in the Mullard one).
HOWEVER I have to align and punch each hole by eye so each card takes some time.
The actual punching is done with a small bench press and punch and die.

The time it takes is the reason I have not advertised cards punched to order on the forum, I have a feeling I would be overwhelmed!

Having said that I will punch a card to the above data for Stevehertz to try out.
If this is a success I will consider a limited number for others.

I realy need an alignment jig, I know that another member has published plans for one but it would cost a significant sum to get it made.

I will not be able to punch the card until after the weekend.

Peter
Old 15th Mar 2023, 11:23 am   #12
stevehertz
Dekatron

That's great Peter, thanks. And I understand now how each hole has to be painstakingly punched in the correct position, time consuming indeed.

Chris, are you as sure as you can be about the 'spec' for the holes now for Peter to go ahead?
Old 15th Mar 2023, 2:22 pm   #13
Chris55000
Nonode

Afternoon Steve!

Apart from my subsequent two corrections, I'm how happy the final hole punch data in my post as in Post No.9 before yours is all correct and suitable for the valve and will NOT cause any damage to the tester, so Peter can use the final list I gave in Post No. 9 for the tetrode card 95A!

The card for the Diode Card 95B was correct as first listed and does not need any correction from the original list in my first post in this thread!

Chris Williams

Last edited by Chris55000; 15th Mar 2023 at 2:29 pm.
Old 15th Mar 2023, 2:51 pm   #14
stevehertz
Dekatron

Thanks Chris! Hopefully in due course Peter will now be able to make Cards 95A & 95B to test the Mullard SD4 valve. Many thanks to you both.
Old 21st Mar 2023, 10:15 pm   #15
PJL
Dekatron

Not sure where we have got to with the proposed SD4 card but in this thread you will find my recommendation for the tetrode https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=198807. There are some critical differences to the card proposed here, notably the LT settings and the pin assignments.
Old 22nd Mar 2023, 1:08 pm   #16
Electronpusher0
Nonode

I am just starting to make the cards for Steve, fortunately I have not actually punched the holes yet.

I will hold off until a consensus can be reached.

Peter
Old 22nd Mar 2023, 1:14 pm   #17
stevehertz
Dekatron

Peter, understood. I guess we have to wait and see what Chris says.
Old 22nd Mar 2023, 2:52 pm   #18
PJL
Dekatron

Agreed...
Old 24th Mar 2023, 10:52 am   #19
stevehertz
Dekatron

Chris... Can you comment/discuss post 15 please? Not doubting your 'figures' but at this point in time it's worth considering all points raised before Peter puts punch to plastic and it's potentially wrong. Many thanks.
Old 24th Mar 2023, 2:51 pm   #20
Chris55000
Nonode

The punch holes for 4V LT @ 1A should be, J4 and K8 for the heater supply, but as Peter suggests the SD4 should be tested at –2.2 V, I'll have to look in Keith Thrower's Data book for an equivalent valve using the same GB voltage and get the punch data from the appropriate card!

I can't see how the valve holders would be wired any other way but pin 1 to contact A1/B1/C1/D1/E1 and so forth, but I'll have to trace it out from my E7600 upstairs, which will have to be Monday/Tuesday as my only battery–operated DMM has failed and I'm waiting for parts to repair it!

There is no diagram in any of the available literature showing the valveholder wiring to the gate switch contacts, just a note next to each bank of contacts annotated "TO VALVEHOLDERS" – I will have to test mine out and draw a new diagram out, as I don't know how Peter's Calculator works out the holes, from which he insists my punch data isn't right – I used the actual cards 86A, 86B, 157A, 157B and 157C. plus 200 themselves to work out the punch data, rather than rely on Peter's Calculator!

Chris Williams