UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Dec 2022, 4:05 pm   #1
trellis
Pentode

Default Logik VR950 (Rebadged Samsung VI611?) cam follower gear broken

I've just been given this video recorder. It's clearly been stored in damp conditions, and has some rust on the capstan flywheel, but apart from that it was just all seized up with old grease, and the belt has perished.

I managed to free everything up, but annoyingly in doing so I broke the cam follower gear arm thingy, where the metal follower pin pushes through the plastic (see picture).

Seeking opinions on the best way forward here. Would a repair with superglue or epoxy be strong enough? Or have I just signed the death warrant for the machine?

Would be a pity to junk it as it's in very nice cosmetic condition.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1918.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	269262  
Old 3rd Dec 2022, 8:17 pm   #2
dj_fivos_sak
Heptode

Default Re: Logik VR950 (Rebadged Samsung VI611?) cam follower gear broken

You can't glue nylon gears with super glue. It's going to break again. I don't know if epoxy would work because I haven't tried that. Your best option is to find a scrap machine that uses the same mechanism or 3D-print a new gear.

Fivos
Old 3rd Dec 2022, 11:05 pm   #3
trellis
Pentode

Hmm, yes looks like superglue wouldn't work. It needs some kind of solvent weld adhesive.

But thinking about it, the objective is simply to hold the metal pin in the correct position. I could just use a blob of epoxy, maybe with some reinforcing strips, to hold it in place. Don't even need to reattach the broken off bit.

I think it's worth a try, as it's a nice looking machine, which would be nice to get working.
Old 3rd Dec 2022, 11:40 pm   #4
ben
Dekatron

I would first glue that piece back, cut a piece of tin or aluminium to sort of wrap around that corner, mark where the peg's hole is and drill a small hole through the tin there to line up. The tin would strengthen the corner and also provide anchor point for the metal peg.

Extend it out a short way over the nylon gear and use small bolts to secure it to the nylon (drill small holes with a battery drill or similar). You could then use a slightly longer peg, ideally with a head on, pass this through the hole from above the tin.

It would be time consuming and quite fiddly but just supergluing is unlikely to work.
Old 4th Dec 2022, 12:32 pm   #5
trellis
Pentode

Thanks, I think I understand what you mean - try to fabricate a sort or repair plate from metal. Definitely worth a try, but I've never been very good at that sort of thing so don't have high hopes. My grandfather would have done a fantastic job at that, but sadly he is no longer with us.

A scrap machine I could raid for parts would be ideal, but I'm not sure how I would find out which other models use the same mechanism.
Old 5th Dec 2022, 4:40 pm   #6
G6ONEDave
Octode

If it's any help the Samsung VI611 part number for this item is '5203 700 5107' and it's described as 'Loading Motor Holder Assy'.

Dave
Old 5th Dec 2022, 6:34 pm   #7
Chris55000
Nonode

Any help?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/225269317...mis&media=COPY

According to Television Magazine the Amstrad VCR4600 is equivalent :–

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334421923...mis&media=COPY

. . this one should furnish all you need hopefully!

Chris Williams
Old 6th Dec 2022, 5:40 pm   #8
trellis
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris55000 View Post
Any help?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/225269317...mis&media=COPY

According to Television Magazine the Amstrad VCR4600 is equivalent :–

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334421923...mis&media=COPY

. . this one should furnish all you need hopefully!

Chris Williams
Thanks, but the VR960 looks quite different, so I suspect it may not have the same mechanism. The Amstrad VCR4600 isn't equivalent, by the looks of it - If you're looking at the same Television page I am, the Google search result makes you think it is, but when you actually open the page you find the Amstrad model is a separate heading, unrelated to the VR950. Unless I'm misreading it.
Old 6th Dec 2022, 6:53 pm   #9
trellis
Pentode

I know it's only a Dixons own-brand thing, but I think it's quite a pretty video recorder. Manufactured October 1986.

One thing that's mysterious is that there is clearly a remote control sensor on the front of the machine, and the article in Television magazine refers to the repair of that sensor, but the person who gave this machine to me was adamant that it never had a remote control from new. There is no reference to a remote control in the user manual either, so I am inclined to believe her.

Maybe the machine was sold in two "bundles" - one with and one without a remote, with a bundle-specific user manual supplied?

(And no, I didn't wire that plug! I just haven't bothered to re-fit it properly until I've got the machine working.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1926_.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	269475  

Last edited by trellis; 6th Dec 2022 at 6:55 pm. Reason: Added a disclaimer re: the poorly attached plug
Old 6th Dec 2022, 7:28 pm   #10
ben
Dekatron

I once picked up that Logik one but it had suffered water damage /rust and there were so many faults I dumped it.

We had the Samsung VI611 years ago at home - my late father picked an ex-demo model up for cheap around 1987. That did indeed have a sensor, but the manual made no mention of a remote. I am sure I opened it up to see what was behind the sensor panel but can't recall if there was an actual photosensor there.

I do not, I must say, have good memories of that Samsung. Trying to set the timer was an exercise in futility. Picture quality was mediocre. Mode changes were rather slow. It eventually got replaced by a Philips Charley deck model which was simplicity itself in comparison.

I am fairly sure I have a similar model here in Spain in the workshop, badged Denvo. The whole deck mech and drum of that Samsung reminds me of the one Sharp used in their VC481 etc.
Old 16th Jan 2023, 12:40 pm   #11
trellis
Pentode

I'm coming to the conclusion that I don't possess the necessary skills to repair the broken part on this machine, and obtaining a spare part would be almost impossible.

It's probably not worth repairing, if I'm honest.

I think it's unlikely anyone else will want it, but I'll take a few more pictures of it later and offer it up on the Offers forum. Will be offered for cost of postage.
Closed Thread